Richard Lamb

Default Aluminum stitch-n-glue

Backyard Renegade wrote:

ooops, quoted the wrong thing, it is late. Here is the way PC
introduced himself to this thread::

SNIPIf you want to make the issue an interesting one, sketch a river
boat and
omit the old crafts or make a fool out of those who caturly can build
boat, join up with the useal crowd of jokers and make usenet what it
alway's
was made for, throwing dirt and in particular in a way where you can
laugh
the bottom out your pans ,without knowing a clue about the issue.

P.C.
ENDSNIP

This is typical of his arrogant diatribe, with no basis in fact...

Some people think the net is real life.
Sad, but true...
Old Nick

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:18:54 GMT, Richard Lamb
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

It's probably just as well that it's not....yet. One day, when the Net
can be used to control your house, somebody will simply turn on
somebody else's gas stove, wait a while then blow their house up! G

Some people think the net is real life.
Sad, but true...

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?
Sal's Dad

I've had good luck with epoxy on aluminum in non-structural applications:
Wet-sand the aluminum - keeping a film of resin on the sander and the
surface. You then can mix the epoxy at your convenience, and work it into
the rough, wet aluminum. Your grinder / sander gets a bit messy, but the
unmixed resin cleans up OK with acetone. I did this, adhering "skid plates"
to the bottom of a wood/epoxy hull. A couple years hard use, and still
firmly attached.

I have NOT had success with 3M 5200; the manufacturer refused to supply info
on surface prep, saying they don't teach people how to build boats... Wood
gunwales applied to an aluminum hull peeled right off, but only prep was a
light sanding.

As to "stitch and glue", I'd be inclined to "stitch and weld" with aluminum.
I did a dory (Bolger Teal) as a test of concept, and it's completely
indestructible and maintenance free. A bit heavy (1/8 aluminum weighs
about the same as unfinished 3/4" ply) but tough.

"Paolo Zini" wrote in message

"Brian D" ha scritto nel messaggio
newsbR5c.27221$JL2.316008@attbi_s03...
Awhile back, there was a thread concerning stitch-n-glue using aluminum
rather than plywood. Although I do not believe it could be a high

enough
quality solution to boat building,

It looks that the flame with P.C. have changed the course of the thread

from
the original subject...
I am still interested on it (I mean to the original subject....).
Any more info?

schippertje

In article , weet
ons te melden...

"Brian D" ha scritto nel messaggio
newsbR5c.27221$JL2.316008@attbi_s03...
Awhile back, there was a thread concerning stitch-n-glue using aluminum
rather than plywood. Although I do not believe it could be a high enough
quality solution to boat building,

It looks that the flame with P.C. have changed the course of the thread from
the original subject...
I am still interested on it (I mean to the original subject....).
Any more info?

I missed the start of this discussion, as I just subscribed tot
rec.boats.building, but here's my 0.02 cents.

I know that aluminium can be glued, used epoxy, with very good results.
Forty years ago, an aircraft company in the Netherlands, Fokker, was
already using epoxy glued joints in their aircraft. These were, however,
contact-joints where aluminium parts were overlapping to an certain
extent, the epoxy being in the overlap.

I myself have glued smaller parts of aluminium using epoxy many times
without a problem. Just sanding, degreasing and it glues rock-solid.

So it seems to me that glueing glass tape to aluminium is no problem. In
theory stitch-and-glue using aluminium is possible.
Maybe the main problem is the strength of the joint in relation tot the
strength of the aluminium. I can imagine more layers of tape are needed
than when joining plywood panels if you not want the joints to be as
strong as the aluminium. This would also mean quite extensive fairing of
the joints afterwards, adding a lot of fairing compound and some weight.

In the end, the question if it's a realistic and practical method
remains. A completely glass covered plywood boat is also pretty
maintenance-free, and, in the case of a small boat, probably lighter.
The joints will always be the weakest point when the hull is deformed.
The aluminium can bend, the joint will crack.

There must be a reason why the method has not been used more widely, and
I suppose this is it.

--
schippertje

Bray Haven

I know that aluminium can be glued, used epoxy, with very good results.
Forty years ago, an aircraft company in the Netherlands, Fokker, was
already using epoxy glued joints in their aircraft.

I had a plane with a lot of glue bonds in it (Grumman) and put over 500 hrs on
it with no problems. they had a glued honeycomb type side pannel that was very
tough as well as wing covers. No idea what adhesive they used but it was way
back when.
Greg Sefton
Paolo Zini

I've had good luck with epoxy on aluminum in non-structural applications:
Wet-sand the aluminum - keeping a film of resin on the sander and the
surface. You then can mix the epoxy at your convenience, and work it into
the rough, wet aluminum. Your grinder / sander gets a bit messy, but the
unmixed resin cleans up OK with acetone. I did this, adhering "skid

plates"
to the bottom of a wood/epoxy hull. A couple years hard use, and still
firmly attached.

Great! I have read about your method, but yours is the first info about it's
succesful use.
You don't consider your application as structural, but is anyway one hard
test!

I have NOT had success with 3M 5200; the manufacturer refused to supply

info
on surface prep, saying they don't teach people how to build boats...

Wood

Also this is one valuable info.

Paolo

Backyard Renegade

Great! I have read about your method, but yours is the first info about it's
succesful use.
You don't consider your application as structural, but is anyway one hard
test!

I have NOT had success with 3M 5200; the manufacturer refused to supply

info
on surface prep, saying they don't teach people how to build boats...

Wood

Also this is one valuable info.

Paolo

Funny, I had the same reaction from 3M when I asked them about using
the product for boats several years ago. I had not used it before
then, and have not had need since .
Scotty