Sal's Dad

Default Aluminum stitch-n-glue

I've had good luck with epoxy on aluminum in non-structural applications:
Wet-sand the aluminum - keeping a film of resin on the sander and the
surface. You then can mix the epoxy at your convenience, and work it into
the rough, wet aluminum. Your grinder / sander gets a bit messy, but the
unmixed resin cleans up OK with acetone. I did this, adhering "skid plates"
to the bottom of a wood/epoxy hull. A couple years hard use, and still
firmly attached.

I have NOT had success with 3M 5200; the manufacturer refused to supply info
on surface prep, saying they don't teach people how to build boats... Wood
gunwales applied to an aluminum hull peeled right off, but only prep was a
light sanding.

As to "stitch and glue", I'd be inclined to "stitch and weld" with aluminum.
I did a dory (Bolger Teal) as a test of concept, and it's completely
indestructible and maintenance free. A bit heavy (1/8 aluminum weighs
about the same as unfinished 3/4" ply) but tough.

"Paolo Zini" wrote in message

"Brian D" ha scritto nel messaggio
newsbR5c.27221$JL2.316008@attbi_s03...
Awhile back, there was a thread concerning stitch-n-glue using aluminum
rather than plywood. Although I do not believe it could be a high

enough
quality solution to boat building,

It looks that the flame with P.C. have changed the course of the thread

from
the original subject...
I am still interested on it (I mean to the original subject....).
Any more info?