Fred Williams

Default Glue blue poly tarp?

I think the plywood discusssion elsewhere in this group could use a healthy
shot your "insight"! :-)

"Brian D" wrote in message
That's what I was going to say...if you want all that nice aesthetic

appeal
of blue tarp, then you can make it even prettier with some nice silver

duct
tape. Remember, "If the women don't find you handsome, then at least make
sure they find you handy."

Brian

--
- Remove the uppercase NS' characters from my email address
"Keith" wrote in message
There's no glue that will work with polyethylene or polypropylene. I

spent
lot of years TRYING to formulate one... I'd be rich if I could.

You can heat weld as someone mentioned with an iron, but practice on

some
scrap first. You CAN make things stick a little better by oxidizing the
surface with a torch, but that's probably impractical with a thin tarp.
Glenn's tape sounds promising, or just use duct tape on BOTH sides of

your
seam.

Now if you can find tarps made of PVC or Hypalon, you can glue those.

--

Keith
__

doing --
the other half is
that he knows what you're doing.
"Joseph Palazzolo" wrote in message
I was thinking there might be some type of solvent similar to that

used
weld PVC pipe.

Joe Palazzolo
Done Deal

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I have had moderate success with double faced tarp tape from

Northern
Hydraulics. It last about as long as the blue tarps. (Which don't

last
all that long in the first place.)

Joseph Palazzolo wrote:
Is it possible to glue blue plastic tarp? If so, what glue should

be
used?

Joe Palazzolo
Done Deal

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or

lack
there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ed Edelenbos

Sorry to inject one thread into another... but, one site I saw combined
the 2...

It had study plans for a small boat and instead of stitch and glue, it
used duct tape. Instead of using wire or wire ties, you just duct tape
the seams on the outside and then continue on with typical s&g
construction. Red Green would be proud.

Ed

Joseph Palazzolo wrote:

Is it possible to glue blue plastic tarp? If so, what glue should

be

used?

Joe Palazzolo
Done Deal

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or

lack

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Fred Williams

Well I wasn't expecting you to take what I said seriously to start with :-)

Don't try to get me in the middle of your and Bateau's grenade tossing
contest!

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Fred Williams" wrote in message

I think the plywood discusssion elsewhere in this group could use a

healthy
shot your "insight"! :-)

That's only cause you misread or misunderstood my posts to that
thread... Assume that you are talking about the thread having to do
with the Bateau? Correct?
Scotty from SmallBoats.com.

Backyard Renegade

"Fred Williams" wrote in message . ..
Well I wasn't expecting you to take what I said seriously to start with :-)

Don't try to get me in the middle of your and Bateau's grenade tossing
contest!

?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really don't know what news group you
are reading (or not reading as the case may be).... I always send
folks to Bateau for plans. I have reccomended them more than any other
plans seller on these groups for years? I wish some of you new guys
would read my stuff before spouting. Anyway, got three boats leaving
the shop this week (one of mahogany and bronze, TWO or exterior ply,
more on that later in the week) no time for this.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Ron Thornton

Hey, Scotty. You gonna let him call you a "wild man".

Ron

Backyard Renegade

"Fred Williams" wrote in message . ..
Gee, sorry. I haven't got the system running in split screen mode right
now. Perhapse it was Bateau and P.C. or JAX... or someother wild man that
was in the blasting mode over there.

I've been hanging out here for quite some time now. But in spite of that I
still like your Small Boat site and Bateau's stuff as well ;-)

Still "working at" my first custom designed stich and glue. Too many other
things in life keep getting in the way :-(

Thought you might be thinking of someone else... this time... I have
had my share but not with Jaques, although I think we do "dig" each
other here and there.
Scotty.. BTW I will try to post pics of these in a day or two, pretty
interesting, mostly custom stuff. One is going to SanDiego as a prop
for a guy who is going to put it next to the beach on his pond
(manmade with small island), another is going to Winna..
winna****a.... I don't know, that big lake in NH, the third to Jersey
Terry Spragg

Joseph Palazzolo wrote:
Is it possible to glue blue plastic tarp? If so, what glue should

be
used?

Joe Palazzolo
Done Deal

--
Glenn Ashmore

If you are joining edge to edge, just sew through the string
edges with a needle and palm, or a curved needle and pliers, or
on a machine set for loose zig zag or straight stitches. Or use a
stapler. Paint it with sunblock, or drape thin woven glass and
poly resin over it.

Instant hardtop dodger!

Other edges, fold tarp along line plus a bit and sew through one
string edge and the other doubled part. Use smaller stitches.
Use double sided tape to hold it in place. gummed fiberglass tape
or nylon strapping might offer some reinforcement, but I have
never bothered.

It sews well, as any sailor would know, and only takes a trice.

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Brian D

Wasn't that you that fixed the big hollow spot in the bottom of somebody's
Phantom 16? I remember there was some back and forth then ...hard to take
sides though. If a beginner doesn't figure out that the boat bottom should
be flat when the plans shows it as flat, is Jacques to blame of there is a
small error? Likewise, small errors should be expected as you build, but
big errors should kindly be reported to the designer...and the designer
should smile and accept with friendliness the feedback about errors, great
or small...and then go back and fix them in the plans. These rules would
kill 99.99% of the disagreements I see between builders and designers...

Brian

--
- Remove the uppercase NS' characters from my email address
"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Fred Williams" wrote in message

. ..
[...]