Gregg Germain

Default tarp repair glue?

Hi all!

Is there a glue that will work on polyethylene tarp material? Often
I'd like to make patches to secure rips so that they don't get larger,
but no glue I've tried seems to "melt" the tarp material to
form a good bond.

Is there a glue that will work?

thanks!

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

Donald Phillips

Gregg Germain wrote:
Hi all!

Is there a glue that will work on polyethylene tarp material? Often
I'd like to make patches to secure rips so that they don't get larger,
but no glue I've tried seems to "melt" the tarp material to
form a good bond.

Is there a glue that will work?

thanks!

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

Don't know about a glue, I haven't found one either, but Harbor Freight
Tools has a tape that works about as well as anything I've found.

Donald
--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.

Gregg Germain

Jacques Mertens wrote:
: Many years I experimented with junk sails made from polytarp, the blue
: stuff, and contact cement worked fine.

Hi Jacques!

Contact cement - good idea. I'll give it a try.

thanks

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

Jacques Mertens

http://www.bateau.com

"Gregg Germain" wrote in message
Hi all!

Is there a glue that will work on polyethylene tarp material? Often
I'd like to make patches to secure rips so that they don't get larger,
but no glue I've tried seems to "melt" the tarp material to
form a good bond.

Is there a glue that will work?

thanks!

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

William R. Watt

"Jacques Mertens" ) writes:
Many years I experimented with junk sails made from polytarp, the blue
stuff, and contact cement worked fine.

"contact" cement is also called "rubber" cement

people who make polytarp sails also bond by heating with a hot iron.
never tried it myself.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Keith

.... and will pull apart with very little stress. Polyethylene is notorious
for having a surface that nothing will stick to. You can heat weld it, but
it's beyond most non-commercial applications. It takes specific heat,
pressure and dwell times, done either by bar sealers or "doughboy"
continuous band sealers. You can try any glue you want, but I can tell you
from years in R&D in the plastics industry, there is nothing that will work
well with PE. Best bet are those tapes mentioned earlier, used on both
sides. Duct tape will for for a few weeks, but weather and UV will tear it
up pretty fast. Really... those blue poly tarps cost what... $5-15? Replace
it if it's gone!

.. .

"Jacques Mertens" ) writes:
Many years I experimented with junk sails made from polytarp, the blue
stuff, and contact cement worked fine.

"contact" cement is also called "rubber" cement

people who make polytarp sails also bond by heating with a hot iron.
never tried it myself.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-freenet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's

returned

Brian Nystrom

Gregg Germain wrote:

Hi all!

Is there a glue that will work on polyethylene tarp material? Often
I'd like to make patches to secure rips so that they don't get larger,
but no glue I've tried seems to "melt" the tarp material to
form a good bond.

Is there a glue that will work?

Nothing that's not a lot more expensive than the tarp. However, there's
always duct tape.

--
Regards

Brian