Gould 0738

Default Any boat repair will take longer and cost more than originally guessed!

XFXCRACXBHA%$!!!

My beloved boat went back in the water today. Finally. It's being fixed about
90 minutes N of here and business is keeping me tied to the home office for a
few days, so I just asked the engine installer to do the initial sea trial and
call me with a report.

Was supposed to be done before Christmas. Engine mounts, engine brackets, wrong
brackets for the new mounts, etc etc etc etc etc.......repair held over until
after holidays. Snows to beat all heck this week, slows down some more.
Finally, ready to splash.

My old engine was counter rotating. They don't build a counter rotating model
of that engine anymore- the correction is made in the gear box. When I ordered
the engine, I very specifically stressed that I needed the counter rotating
gear.

"No problem."

When the engine and gear came in, I asked, "That's the counter rotating gear
box, right? I don't want to have to switch props and most especially I don't
want the boat to pack to port."

"Yes indeed. This is the counter rotating gearbox. You won't have to change
props, and the boat will back to starboard."

So, onto the Travelift.
(drumroll)
Down to the launch ramp.
(drumroll)
Into the water
(drumroll)
Fire up the engine, (reportedly runs great!!)
(louder drumroll)
Put boat in forward.......and it goes in reverse.

AAAACH! After all that......Wrong tranny!! :-(

To his credit, my engine supply guy didn't quibble a bit. The correct tranny
has already been ordered, and he will absorb all labor costs to get the wrong
gearbox out and the right gearbox in. Pays to belabor an important point. While
I've done business with this guy for many years and he would be unlikely to
ever try and squirm out from his responsibility...there can be no question that
we discussed a counter-rotating transmission on several occassions.

Any boat repair will take longer and cost more than originally guesstimated. No
Schlitz, Sherlock.

RG

I feel sorry for you.

My 16ft. El Pescador has been at their plant for some hull work since late
NOVEMBER. Estimated time to fix.....one week.... I pick it up on Monday,
January 12!!!! Price...50 % more than estimate, though I did add some items
to the original plan, so I'm not too unhappy.

I had our home's ceilings raised this summer...final price ....50% higher
than estimate...100% additional time over estimate.

When I worked ( 40 years as an investment broker)...I'd write my customers a
one page letter detailing what I planned to do...including estimated costs
and timing. Just about 100% of them agreed with the written plan...and I
was able to execute it within 3 to 5% of my estimate, sometimes on the lower
side.

Sure doesn't happen in boats and houses, does it!

RichG

Gould 0738

I had our home's ceilings raised this summer...final price ....50% higher
than estimate...100% additional time over estimate.

To the yard's credit- the job is going to be completed at only about 20% over
the original written estimate. Part of that is
my fault, I asked to have a second primary fuel filter installed. Each tank
will have a filter, and the fuel will combine at a manifold. I can shut off
either tank to trim the boat or to change filters underway- and if there's
"bad" fuel coming from one tank it will be easier to spot. They only went for
one bump on the originl estimate, and of course if was justified by things that
hadn't been foreseen when the estimate was prepared. Still- how often do you
hear of a yard ever saying "Good news! We were able to complete the job a
little faster than we thought, so we're going to charge you less than we
quoted!" ? Seems to only work the other way. :-)

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

I have a few items I want added this spring, and I'm trying to line up
some of the "connecting" pieces and parts so that I don't have to pay
yard fabrication prices. I don't mind paying the guys to install stuff,
because they do a fine job, but when they have to build items out of
fiberglass or stainless or aluminum so as to mount stuff I want where I
want it, the sounds of "ka-ching" get very loud.

I'm hoping to be in Miami next month on business so I can spend a day
shopping at the Miami boat show. I've got a March trip to Miami lined
up, but I haven't been able to nail down a February trip between the
12th and the 17th. I'm looking especially for just the right rear
bulkhead folding bench...

--
Email sent to is never read.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:22:04 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

XFXCRACXBHA%$!!!

Well, you're about a month ahead of me. Engine is ordered, and I'm just about
to go to Far Cove to fix the stringers. I had anticipated a Big Job, with rotten
stringers, but they were fine except for the holes themselves. Some oversized
dowels and a touch of expoxy will fix that.

BUT, apparently the New XPB uses a different exhaust fitting than the old
M25. Long Story Short, after "extensive" discussion with the dealer/installer,
we decided on a completely new exhaust. Which, of course, needs some 'glasswork
to make the Universal riser fit into the engine well.

AND, the lasdrop shaft seal leaks unless pressed together, so I've rigged up
a temporary rope, but the engine will have to be installed out of the water (I
was going to just drop it in, then take my time when it's back in the water).
And Lasdrop Tech Support says I REALLY should take the seal apart and smooth the
mating surfaces. Another days work...

So far, it's not costing me much more than budgetted (US dollar tanking is
helping!). I had budgeted $500 for "exhaust mods" and the new exhaust will cost
about that.

But...REALLY looking forward to the new engine! Once it's "trialed", I think
I'll start at 8 am and find out where I am at 5pm. You?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - currently engine-less

Wayne.B

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:40:54 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:
when they have to build items out of
fiberglass or stainless or aluminum so as to mount stuff I want where I
want it, the sounds of "ka-ching" get very loud.

Custom fabrication of virtually anything is VERY labor intensive,
especially if first class, professional looking appearance is
required.

Wayne.B

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:40:57 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:
Consider this for peace of mind....

http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?sect...tion=main&sn=1

I don't see much difference between the Lasdrop and the PSS. I used
to own a Lasdrop. It uses a springlike rubber bellows to maintain
pressure on a rotating seal just as the PSS appears to. Am I missing
something?

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Geez Chuck I am sorry to hear that. It Almost as bad as Whitney's Marina
forgetting to fill my Bravo II engine and drive with oil. They burned up
the whole unit during the test start.

Frank

Gould 0738 wrote:
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:05:34 +0000, Wayne. wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:40:57 GMT, WaIIy wrote:
Consider this for peace of mind....

http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?sect...tion=main&sn=1

I don't see much difference between the Lasdrop and the PSS. I used to own a
Lasdrop. It uses a springlike rubber bellows to maintain pressure on a rotating
seal just as the PSS appears to. Am I missing something?

(Wally's on my bozo list, so didn't see his post, but...)

I have nothing against the LasDrop - it's been flawless in 10 years of
service. But the problem with both the LasDrop AND the PSS is that if the engine
is missing, there's nothing to hold the two plates together, the shaft moves up,
and they leak.

The "problem" will be solved once I install the new engine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36