Gary

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

Don White wrote:
Gary wrote:

You are right. There are really only two sets of over-arching rules,
the Colregs and the Inland Rules. Adhere to those and all is well.
The people that don't learn them cause us all to come to grief.

It kills some of the yahoos that a slow moving sailboat has right of way
over their 300hp, gas guzzlin', air polluting monstrosity.

Kinda like pedestrians, bicycles and cars. Although might has right it
is not correct.
Capt. JG

"Gary" wrote in message
Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 06:34:14 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

Doing nothing is not an option.

Gary

And you put your tanker on the rocks entering San Francisco bay.

Sure, we are all that stupid.

Sounds like you are. [Bill]

I am tired of hearing you two bicker. Why don't you cut rec.boats.
building and rec.boats.cruising from your distribution?
Please?

PLEASE?

Brian Whatcott
p.s. You are both traceable - don't get me mad.

I hope I don't sound like I'm bickering. I am treating this thread as a
interesting Rules of the Road discussion and a bit of a review. It's not
often that I get to hear the point of view of amateurs or recreational
boaters on RofR situations. It is causing me to refer to my books and
think. Sorry if you aren't enjoying the thread.

Gary

I think Brian is mostly referring to the bickering part - I apologize for my
part in it.

I think it's generally a worthwhile discussion of RofR situations. Sometimes
the situation is not straightforward of course, and it requires some quick
thinking. When I'm teaching, it's not atypical that we're in the midst of
significant traffic with a number of different types of vessels... anything
from tankers going in both directions, even three sometimes, to sailboats
and cabin cruiser types, to small dinghies and human power boats, and even
swimmers.

I'll typically ask my students, who has stand-on or give way status for a
particular boat, say port over starboard, then ask them about another boat
coming from a different direction, then about the ferry, then about the
kayaker, etc. It makes for an interesting sail if nothing else.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

Answer: PWCs are always at fault. They can't help it, they were built
that way.

I know someone who was passing a powerboat in a big PWC. The powerboat
idiot didn't look behind him to see who was passing him and turned to
port,
into the PWC who ended up crashing into the port side of the powerboat.

The PWC rider successfully sued for a new ski, medical costs, lost wages,
etc., etc., after the DNR quoted the rules-of-the-road about maintaining
course and speed when being overtaken someone else posted here. DNR
investigated the accident and was not amused when the big powerboat rich
boy pointed out "It's just a PWC", as you hotheads infer.

The hotheaded attitudes displayed in this stupid thread over the hated PWC
is a mixture for disaster on the waterways. The PWC riders have just as
much rights to use the public's waterways as the millionaires in the
Azimuts. Just ask the PWCer's attorney....(c; Someone said he drooled
over this case when he found out how much money the powerboater was
worth...(c;

By the way, in SC, that PWC only needs be 50 ft away from your boat to run
full throttle past you....50 ft....Says so right in the boating manual.

Run over his little PWC. Make his day.....

--
Larry, 3rd Mate
S/V "Lionheart"

Larry, if you or anyone else really thought I was serious, then you have
more problems that can be solved here.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Gary

[...]

When you are teaching multiple target situations, how do you prioritize
them? Do you run plots with time to CPA? I have a hard time explaining
to my watchkeepers that the closest is not always the most threatening
and that whatever they do it has to not compound the next situation.
Bill McKee

"Larry" wrote in message
Jeff wrote in
:

proper to pass within 15 feet of boats doing 25 MPH shouldn't be out
there.

It's 50 ft in South Carolina...just like for a dock. 200' from the
marina.

--
Larry

Bill McKee

"Larry" wrote in message
Jeff wrote in
:

proper to pass within 15 feet of boats doing 25 MPH shouldn't be out
there.

It's 50 ft in South Carolina...just like for a dock. 200' from the
marina.

--
Larry

I guess you never pass on a 2 lane road. Both oncoming and same direction
traffic.

Bill McKee

"Don White" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

You are right. There are really only two sets of over-arching rules, the
Colregs and the Inland Rules. Adhere to those and all is well. The
people that don't learn them cause us all to come to grief.

It kills some of the yahoos that a slow moving sailboat has right of way
over their 300hp, gas guzzlin', air polluting monstrosity.

There is no "right of way" for boats. If there was as you state, a
sailboat, could make any turn he wanted at any time and he would never be at
fault. Look at Colregs section 17.

Bill McKee

"Scotty" wrote in message
"Bill McKee" wrote

Is it really *that* hard to turn a steering wheel, Bill? Do

you
have wimpy limp wrists?

SBV

You remind me of the sailor who decides to turn with no

signal and

Oh, you were serious about those turn signals.

SBV

\

You need to be more creative in your writings.

Capt. JG

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

Not familiar with the term CPA. Since this is a teaching situation, I try
not to get them into a situation that is going to be overwhelming. We look
at potential collision courses of the targets first, then I have them sort
out plans of action. You're right of course. Many times, it's not the
closest that one needs to be mindful of.. we also try and make an assessment
about the level of knowledge on the other boat. Sometimes it's a shock when
they do or don't do the right thing. :-)

Gary

Capt. JG wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

[...]

Closest Point of Approach