Matt Colie

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

Peter,
Please do not encourage him. Trying to teach a pig to sing.....
He has only just started to read Colregs and then only the parts he
wants. Just keep him away from the legislators or else he will start
calling for direction signals (that he probably does not use in his pick
up) and brake lights (how we get brakes is yet to be determined).
If you think people like this are a not to be carefully watched over by
a competent adult, remember that in several states it is now non-lawful
to be on the foredeck underway.
Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e"
Lifelong Waterman, Licnesed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Roger Derby wrote:
Whether you are wrong in the passing situation is debatable. What is not
debatable is the alienation you've achieved on this boat building
group/list.

That said, you might check some of the many books on maritime law. It's
quite different from that administered on land. Among other things, it
assigns blame (costs) as a function of the degree of guilt. It's not the
winner take all game played on land.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the mandatory sound signals involved in
a crossing (including overtaking) situation. Until communications are
established, one should assume nothing about the "burdened" vessel.

How does the old Burma Shave jingle go? "He was right, dead right as he
sped along. Now he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong."

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
m...

In article . net, Bill
McKee wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message

Jeff wrote in
news:sLmdnZfD9Kl0rPHenZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d@comcast .com:

proper to pass within 15 feet of boats doing 25 MPH shouldn't be out
there.

It's 50 ft in South Carolina...just like for a dock. 200' from the
marina.

--
Larry

I guess you never pass on a 2 lane road. Both oncoming and same
direction
traffic.

What does this have to your dangerous overtaking practice? Nothing.

It's damn obvious that you don't understand the Colregs and have no
intention of accepting that you are *wrong*.

PDW

I was not wrong for several reasons. Number one is the other boat was
also a powerboat. Did not matter if it had sails up or not, it had its
motor running. And the road analogy is the same as ColRegs require. You
have to not make unsafe turns. If I am passing, the other boat has to
continue in the same direction. 17, a, i .

Bill McKee

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Matt Colie
wrote:

Peter,
Please do not encourage him. Trying to teach a pig to sing.....
He has only just started to read Colregs and then only the parts he
wants.

Yeah, ok. I was going to ask him where on the planet you're allowed to
drive at 200 to 300 mph a couple feet away from a vehicle travelling at
50 mph, but that'd no doubt go over his head too.

Let's hope he argues with a big ship.

PDW

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the "right
of way" over large ships.

5. Nomen Nescio
Oct 23, 7:20 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.sport.jet-ski, rec.boats.building, rec.boats.cruising
From: Nomen Nescio ] -
"

Yes. You need to take your jet ski to an acid dip facility
and leave it in over night. Encourage your friends to do
the same.

This is hateful, childish, and just plain mean spirited.

There is NO place for this kind of behavior here, or anywhere
else that may be connected with sailing, cruising, or water sports.

A fellow mariner asked a legitimate question, to which you chose to respond in a snide and insulting way. Just because you don't like his choice of vessel, you think you have the right to be dismissive and rude. That is plain wrong.

I'm appalled and ashamed (for you) that you would act this
way. You are the kind that gives the rest of us a bad reputation.

Yeah, another statistic of a "hate crime"

otnmbrd

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the "right
of way" over large ships.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

otn

Bill McKee

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the
"right of way" over large ships.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

otn

Who has "right of way"?

Gary

Bill McKee wrote:
"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the
"right of way" over large ships.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

otn

Who has "right of way"?

Need more info.
Scotty

"Bill McKee" wrote

And I am not a sailboater

That is blatantly obvious.

SBV

Scotty

"Bill McKee" wrote

Who has "right of way"?

No one.

Bill McKee

"Gary" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the
"right of way" over large ships.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

otn

Who has "right of way"?

Need more info.

Trick question. There is no "right of way".