Gary

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

I think Brian is mostly referring to the bickering part - I
apologize for my
part in it.

I think it's generally a worthwhile discussion of RofR situations. Sometimes
the situation is not straightforward of course, and it requires some quick
thinking. When I'm teaching, it's not atypical that we're in the midst of
significant traffic with a number of different types of vessels... anything
from tankers going in both directions, even three sometimes, to sailboats
and cabin cruiser types, to small dinghies and human power boats, and even
swimmers.

I'll typically ask my students, who has stand-on or give way status for a
particular boat, say port over starboard, then ask them about another boat
coming from a different direction, then about the ferry, then about the
kayaker, etc. It makes for an interesting sail if nothing else.

When you are teaching multiple target situations, how do you prioritize
them? Do you run plots with time to CPA? I have a hard time explaining
to my watchkeepers that the closest is not always the most threatening
and that whatever they do it has to not compound the next situation.