Adrian

Default Advice needed

Hi all,

I am to begin building a motor cruiser soon, just have to make a final
choice between a couple of plans I have been looking at. I live in the UK.
My question is about what to do when you have completed a boat. I presume I
need to get a safety certificate before I can launch the boat ? Is there
other procedures I need to follow aswell ? I want to get an idea of what
things I need to do when I have a completed boat and how much to allow for
them in my budget.

Any advice or pointers to suitable reading material on such things would be
appreciated. It will be my first boat so I am a little green regarding these
matters.

many thnx,

Adrian.

Julian

"Adrian" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I am to begin building a motor cruiser soon, just have to make a final
choice between a couple of plans I have been looking at. I live in the UK.

What are you thinking of building? I would be interested to hear more
details of your project.

I don't know the answer to your question but, if you don't get an answer
from this group, you could try going across and registering with
http://www.ybw.com/ybw/home.htm. They have a set of web forums that
have a number of people who appear helpful and knowledgeable. The
participants are mostly UK based so you are quite likely to find someone
with knowledge of UK/European regulations.

- Julian

William R. Watt

you may also want to consider insurance. a call to a marine insurer might
help.

"Julian" ) writes:
"Adrian" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I am to begin building a motor cruiser soon, just have to make a final
choice between a couple of plans I have been looking at. I live in the UK.

What are you thinking of building? I would be interested to hear more
details of your project.

I don't know the answer to your question but, if you don't get an answer
from this group, you could try going across and registering with
http://www.ybw.com/ybw/home.htm. They have a set of web forums that
have a number of people who appear helpful and knowledgeable. The
participants are mostly UK based so you are quite likely to find someone
with knowledge of UK/European regulations.

- Julian

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Adrian

Yes I will definately be wanting insurance.

From what I can gather by my research is that first I am going to need a
safety certificate, then some insurance and then some form of license for
whatever waterways I will be travelling on. I just need to find out where I
can obtain these from. The marine insurance I am guessing will be able to
steer me in the right directions for most of them. I just want to make sure
that when I eventually get in the water I have done all my homework and am
covered properly. Would hate to spend time and money on my project and then
end up in trouble for not having done all the stuff required.

Adrian.

"Julian" ) writes:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Hi all,

I am to begin building a motor cruiser soon, just have to make a final
choice between a couple of plans I have been looking at. I live in the

UK.

What are you thinking of building? I would be interested to hear more
details of your project.

I don't know the answer to your question but, if you don't get an answer
from this group, you could try going across and registering with
http://www.ybw.com/ybw/home.htm. They have a set of web forums that
have a number of people who appear helpful and knowledgeable. The
participants are mostly UK based so you are quite likely to find someone
with knowledge of UK/European regulations.

- Julian

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

I didn't pay great attention to the details since I'm from the US, but
I seem to recall a furor some time ago about the "Recreational
Craft Directive". I think the RCD was requiring every boat
(including home builts) to certify to some absurd safety standard,
including some type of stability test. The UK magazines that I
occasionally read thought it was completely ridiculous. You might
want to try a search on RCD to see if anything turns up.

Matt

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am to begin building a motor cruiser soon, just have to make a final
choice between a couple of plans I have been looking at. I live in the UK.
My question is about what to do when you have completed a boat. I presume

need to get a safety certificate before I can launch the boat ? Is there
other procedures I need to follow aswell ? I want to get an idea of what
things I need to do when I have a completed boat and how much to allow for
them in my budget.

Any advice or pointers to suitable reading material on such things would

be
appreciated. It will be my first boat so I am a little green regarding

these
matters.

many thnx,

Adrian.

Oddgeir Kvien

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:34:41 +0000, Matt/Meribeth Pedersen wrote:

I didn't pay great attention to the details since I'm from the US, but
I seem to recall a furor some time ago about the "Recreational
Craft Directive". I think the RCD was requiring every boat
(including home builts) to certify to some absurd safety standard,
including some type of stability test. The UK magazines that I
occasionally read thought it was completely ridiculous. You might
want to try a search on RCD to see if anything turns up.

The RCD only comes to play if you intend to sell the boat. For your
own personal use you can do what you want to. In Europe it is not
legal to sell a boat which is not CE marked, ie you must proove it
is buildt acording to the RCD. Bu if the boat has been used for 5
years or more you can legaly sell it. By 5 years in use the boat
has prooven to be good enough. (At least that is the way it is in
Norway, and probably in the rest of Europe also.)

--
Oddgeir

Adrian

Thnx everyone for your input, much appreciated.

I will try a search on RCD now and see what I can find. Would imagine
getting a ferro cement boat to positive flotation when swamped could be
interesting lol.

Adrian.

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:34:41 GMT, "Matt/Meribeth Pedersen"
wrote:

I didn't pay great attention to the details since I'm from the US, but
I seem to recall a furor some time ago about the "Recreational
Craft Directive". I think the RCD was requiring every boat
(including home builts) to certify to some absurd safety standard,
including some type of stability test. The UK magazines that I
occasionally read thought it was completely ridiculous. You might
want to try a search on RCD to see if anything turns up.

(Hi Matt, you're still alive, huh.)

Yes, I think the standard, if I recall correctly, was a remarkably
stupid bit of bureaucratic work. I believe it called for positive
flotation when swamped.

Most traditional boats would fail.

The Traditional Small Craft Association fought this one. Can't
remember how it turned out.

John R Weiss

There are still a few people around who were in that initial TSCA (Traditional
Small Craft Association) vs USCG (U.S. Coast Guard) fray back around 1974.
Unfortunately, the 2 who probably know most about it are not on the net.

Also unfortunately, an apparent minority in the leadership of the Society of
Nautical Architects and Maritime Engineers (SNAME) tried to resurrect a similar
theme about 2 years ago. Essentially, they wanted to force a NA or ME signature
of approval on any boat plans offered for sale or public distribution. Their
forum was to try to get individual state legislatures to pass laws to that
effect.

A small group of TSCA people, alerted by a timely article in Messing About in
Boats, was able to get enough backlash against SNAME in a few places that the
effort apparently was dropped (at least publicly). It is also possible that the
SNAME membership at large, who apparently was not in favor of the effort, was
instrumental in allowing it to fade away -- at least temporarily.

Finally (for now), for 2 years running there have been efforts in the CT state
legislature to register ALL small boats regardless of size or origin. TSCA
members were instrumental in getting a total of 4 such bills squashed. I'm sure
there have been similar attempts in other states.

We have to remain vigilant! Your membership can help!
------------------
John Weiss
Seattle, WA
recent past President,
The Traditional Small Craft Association
PO Box 350
Mystic, CT 06355
www.tsca.net

remove NOSPAM from reply address

"Adrian" wrote...

I will try a search on RCD now and see what I can find. Would imagine
getting a ferro cement boat to positive flotation when swamped could be
interesting lol.

"P.C. Ford" wrote...
Yes, I think the standard, if I recall correctly, was a remarkably
stupid bit of bureaucratic work. I believe it called for positive
flotation when swamped.

Most traditional boats would fail.

The Traditional Small Craft Association fought this one. Can't
remember how it turned out.

BruceM

Build it in Australia mate, .......... Bang a few nails into a hunk of wood
& go register it for a few bucks & you can go anywhere in it. No checks or
anything. Of course if you do charters there is.........
BruceM

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
[...]

Mark

"Adrian" wrote in message ...
Thnx for your reply,

I have just registered at the link you gave me so will take a look at the
forums there.

I am looking at two plans by http://www.hartley-boats.com/home.html can be
found under the power boats link there. The first is the Vixen 25-27 and the
second the Blue marlin 30.

He has some nice trimaran's in there. If I had enough room/money, I'd
be tempted with the "Lively 28". Anyone built one?

Cheers,
Mark

Outboard Engine Advice Needed Please - Mercury 40HP Submariner General 16 June 24th 04 09:15 PM
Quick Advice Needed Please J Wall General 2 May 15th 04 03:08 PM
Newbee advice needed Misiora General 5 March 31st 04 06:30 AM
Painting Colored Dash - Advice Needed!! [email protected] General 3 January 22nd 04 10:11 PM
Advice needed on yacht buy Jesper Bruhn Boat Building 1 July 30th 03 12:01 PM