Default Painting Colored Dash - Advice Needed!!

Howdy!

I own a beautiful '85 Sea Ray Weekender, and in their day, dark
colored dashes were evidently the rage. I have a large dash area
under the windshield that is dark blue. Over the years, it has faded,
is an eye-sore, and really detracts from the entire boat.

I'd like to repaint the dash, but masking off the windshield and other
parts to spray it would be a nightmare. The dash has a textured
finish, so would trimming it with a brush, and rolling out the large
areas be a viable option? What kind of paint would be the most
durable?

Thanks!!
Gary Warner

wrote in message
Howdy!

I own a beautiful '85 Sea Ray Weekender, and in their day, dark
colored dashes were evidently the rage. I have a large dash area
under the windshield that is dark blue. Over the years, it has faded,
is an eye-sore, and really detracts from the entire boat.

I'd like to repaint the dash, but masking off the windshield and other
parts to spray it would be a nightmare. The dash has a textured
finish, so would trimming it with a brush, and rolling out the large
areas be a viable option? What kind of paint would be the most
durable?

Thanks!!

I'm gonna guess that spraying in that type of area would not only be
difficult
to tape off but also hard to get an even application of spray. Probably
using
a brush is the best. Just a guess - I'm no expert at painting.

I also mentioned that the dash was dark and sounded like you might
want to make it lighter. Just consider that light colors will reflect more
light and glare into your eyes, not to mention be hard to cover the dark
blue with a light color. ~ Not sure if that's what you were thinking...

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:15:32 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

I also mentioned that the dash was dark and sounded like you might
want to make it lighter. Just consider that light colors will reflect more
light and glare into your eyes, not to mention be hard to cover the dark
blue with a light color. ~ Not sure if that's what you were thinking...

Thanks.......

I intend on keeping it as close to the original color as possible.
I'm no paint expert either, so I have no clue what type of paint to
use, or how to apply it.

I do know that spraying it would be tough, due to the rake of the
windshild, particularly in the corners. I hope that a brush/roller
application would be acceptable..........