Misiora

Default Newbee advice needed

Hello everyone,
I am so new to boating that I have no idea where to start... I'm
looking for a used runabout approx 17-19 ft with 100-150 HP engine.
I'm not even sure if that's what I need... Anyways, looking at all the
brands I can't figure out how to rate the manufacturers (like with
cars, generally Mercedes is better yhat Hyundai or a Volkswagen - no
offence...). How do boat manufacturers rate, ie. how does a similar
model of Bayliner compare to Stingray, Crowline, Doral, etc...

Any advice?
Thanks,
martin
RichG

I'd guess that you would FIRST have to decide in what type of boating you
have an interest.

Fishing/cruising/skiing/ flats-fishing/off-shore fishing/dragging the kids
in a tube/partying ( perhaps a versatile pontoon or deck boat?/reef diving?
Then.... what types of water you will be frequenting .. fresh/salt/ both?
What size bodies of water ... small lakes& ponds/big lakes/bay
systems/oceans??

Not all quality boat manufacturers attempt to cover every boating venue.
There are many good (and I'm sure, a few not so good, boats) but you
wouldn't buy a Mack Truck to take the kids to a ball game ( even though Mack
makes a good truck ??)...RichG

--
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Tony Thomas

Don't get hung up on brand. I would suggest you look at
www.boattraderonline.com for a 18' runabout w/ a V6 inboard/outboard engine.
This will give you plenty of power, good amount of room for people, and will
do whatever you want. Decide a price range you can afford and start
shopping in your area.
Since you are not familiar with boats, a good suggestion would be to go down
to the local marina/boat dock and talk to people. Boat owners will be
willing to talk about their experience and who offers good service in your
area. Then once you find a boat - take it to a good service place and have
them check everything on the boat. They will tell you what, if anything is
wrong with it and what it will cost to fix.
I do recommend you find a boat w/ a Mercruiser in it instead of OMC. Volvo
is ok but not as many people work on them.

Now, having said that, some brands are overall better than others. Here my
rating guide.
1. Cobalt
2. Crownline, SeaRay, Doral
3. Chapparel, Starcraft, Stingray, Four Winns, etc..
4. Maxum
5. Bayliner
I know everyone has an opinion and this may not be others.
Bottom line, I would avoid Bayliner and Maxum as they do use less quality
materials in general.
However, a well maintained Maxum would be worth a lot more than a Cobalt
that has been left out in the weather and even left in the water for months
at a time.

Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Misiora" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone,
I am so new to boating that I have no idea where to start... I'm
looking for a used runabout approx 17-19 ft with 100-150 HP engine.
I'm not even sure if that's what I need... Anyways, looking at all the
brands I can't figure out how to rate the manufacturers (like with
cars, generally Mercedes is better yhat Hyundai or a Volkswagen - no
offence...). How do boat manufacturers rate, ie. how does a similar
model of Bayliner compare to Stingray, Crowline, Doral, etc...

Any advice?
Thanks,
martin

Misiora

I appreciate both responses.
I would like to use the boat for fun mostly, cruising on Ontario
lakes, water skiing, perhaps pulling a tube with the kids. I'm hoping
to be able to fit 6-7 people on board and be able to pull a skier with
3 people on board.
What size of boat/engine and engine type (I/O or outboard) should I be
looking for? I'm hoping to spend US 12K max w/trailer. Any help would
be appreciated...

martin
Jack Redington

Misiora wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am so new to boating that I have no idea where to start... I'm
looking for a used runabout approx 17-19 ft with 100-150 HP engine.
I'm not even sure if that's what I need... Anyways, looking at all the
brands I can't figure out how to rate the manufacturers (like with
cars, generally Mercedes is better yhat Hyundai or a Volkswagen - no
offence...). How do boat manufacturers rate, ie. how does a similar
model of Bayliner compare to Stingray, Crowline, Doral, etc...

Any advice?
Thanks,
martin

Martin you are asking a very loaded question that can be debated for
ever :-) First I suggest you take a boating safty course. That will
introduce you to boaters in your area and folks that know the local
waters. That is a good way to find out what type of boats they use and
where they use them, and how they use them. Also you will get a general
idea of the rules of the road and basic operating techniques.

As far as brands go, I doubt there is one person who has owned all the
above mentioned boats and one can debate then forever. But I will give
you my take on them.

Bayliner - Considered a entry level boat, that will most likely be the
lowest price per ft.

Stingray - Get more mph per HP then most boats but the ones I have been
on ( a 19 ft bowrider and 22ft cuddy both road hard ) They would be ok
on lakes that do have a lot of traffic, or wind. The 19 footer went over
50 with a 4.3 lx merc

Crownline - Now my bias really shows. We have a 95 210ccr that has held
up very well. Stored outside with a mooring cover, on the trailer when
not in use and taken care of. It has held up very well with the
exception of the headliner in the cabin which I am in the process of
replacing at this time.

Doral - Have never been on one and have only seen them, so no comment.

Good luck and happy boating..

Capt Jack R.

Ken H

Martin,

To get some idea of surveyed ratings, you can check JD Power and
associates' boat ratings he

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/boats/boatratings.jsp

Boat shows are also a great choice to see lots of selections in one place.

I'm a newbie also, as of 2002.

Ken