Default Need advice on dealing with ugly windshield frame

Greetings,

I have a 1985 Sea Ray 300 Weekender that is in beautiful condition,
except for the windshield frame. The aluminum windshield frame looks
absolutely terrible, and thus, really detracts from the boat.

I considered removing the windshield from the boat, and having the
frame powdercoated, but the folks at the Sea Ray factory said getting
the frame off is one thing, but removing the glass is quite another.

Anyone have any advice on "restoring" the windshield frame without
removing it, or the glass? Buffing wheel on a drill with aluminum
polish perhaps?

Also, has anyone removed the glass from a frame? I'm concerned about
breaking the glass, because I can imagine locating a match would be
near impossible.
Lawrence James

I took all the glass off my stingray to put tint film on it and it was easy.
But I can't see yours so I don't know if it's similar or not. In 85 most of
the glass on sea rays was close to flat. Isn't it? It's an aluminum frame
with black gasket around the glass?

wrote in message
Greetings,

I have a 1985 Sea Ray 300 Weekender that is in beautiful condition,
except for the windshield frame. The aluminum windshield frame looks
absolutely terrible, and thus, really detracts from the boat.

I considered removing the windshield from the boat, and having the
frame powdercoated, but the folks at the Sea Ray factory said getting
the frame off is one thing, but removing the glass is quite another.

Anyone have any advice on "restoring" the windshield frame without
removing it, or the glass? Buffing wheel on a drill with aluminum
polish perhaps?

Also, has anyone removed the glass from a frame? I'm concerned about
breaking the glass, because I can imagine locating a match would be
near impossible.

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:57:05 GMT, "Lawrence James"
wrote:

I took all the glass off my stingray to put tint film on it and it was easy.
But I can't see yours so I don't know if it's similar or not. In 85 most of
the glass on sea rays was close to flat. Isn't it? It's an aluminum frame
with black gasket around the glass?

Yes, the glass seems to be flat, so I would imagine if I broke a
panel, I could have one replicated at a glass shop......

The glass was evidently set in some sort of sealer, and then a black
gasket installed to keep it in place.....I'm not sure where I'd find
the gasket either.......