Jack Redington

Default Newbee advice needed

Misiora wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am so new to boating that I have no idea where to start... I'm
looking for a used runabout approx 17-19 ft with 100-150 HP engine.
I'm not even sure if that's what I need... Anyways, looking at all the
brands I can't figure out how to rate the manufacturers (like with
cars, generally Mercedes is better yhat Hyundai or a Volkswagen - no
offence...). How do boat manufacturers rate, ie. how does a similar
model of Bayliner compare to Stingray, Crowline, Doral, etc...

Any advice?
Thanks,
martin

Martin you are asking a very loaded question that can be debated for
ever :-) First I suggest you take a boating safty course. That will
introduce you to boaters in your area and folks that know the local
waters. That is a good way to find out what type of boats they use and
where they use them, and how they use them. Also you will get a general
idea of the rules of the road and basic operating techniques.

As far as brands go, I doubt there is one person who has owned all the
above mentioned boats and one can debate then forever. But I will give
you my take on them.

Bayliner - Considered a entry level boat, that will most likely be the
lowest price per ft.

Stingray - Get more mph per HP then most boats but the ones I have been
on ( a 19 ft bowrider and 22ft cuddy both road hard ) They would be ok
on lakes that do have a lot of traffic, or wind. The 19 footer went over
50 with a 4.3 lx merc

Crownline - Now my bias really shows. We have a 95 210ccr that has held
up very well. Stored outside with a mooring cover, on the trailer when
not in use and taken care of. It has held up very well with the
exception of the headliner in the cabin which I am in the process of
replacing at this time.

Doral - Have never been on one and have only seen them, so no comment.

Good luck and happy boating..

Capt Jack R.