Submariner

Default Outboard Engine Advice Needed Please - Mercury 40HP

Greetings,

I just put a deposit on a 2001, 13' Boston Whaler Sport with a 40HP
Mercury 2-stroke outboard. The boat and motor are in near flawless
condition aesthetically, and even under the motor cowling looks near
new.

The boat seems to have had very little use, but I want to make sure I
don't get into trouble with the engine. I've asked the dealer to do a
compression check, and pressure test the lower unit. Is there
anything else I should be concerned with? Any idiosyncracies with
this particular engine?

I've been told that the 40HP Merc. had been around for years, and is
pretty much bulletproof. Aside from it going under water, being run
out of oil, or water in the lower unit, I can't think of anything else
to be concerned with.

Will a compression test uncover any major mechanical issues?

Problem is, in my 30 years of boating, I've never owned a boat with an
outboard motor, so I'm quite wet behind the ears.

Any advice would be most appreciated...........
Harry Krause

Submariner wrote:

[...]

you're on the right track. Have you been out in the boat to run the
engine? It should start and run flawlessly. Are there any service
records? Can you contact the former owner?

Good luck. Nice rig.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:31:44 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

you're on the right track. Have you been out in the boat to run the
engine? It should start and run flawlessly. Are there any service
records? Can you contact the former owner?

Good luck. Nice rig.

No, I may have made a mistake, but I low-balled the seller (local
marina that just took the boat on trade), and to my surprise, they
accepted the offer on the condition that they not have to accommodate
a sea trial. They were happy to take me on a sea trial before I made
the offer, but the salesman commented that "there wasn't enough money
left in it" for him to bother with the logistics of a sea trial. He
said he would be more than happy to let me take the boat for a trial
on my own, but I have neither the time, nor the vehicle to do it.

They still have no issue with the mechanical contingency however.
Based on the condition of the boat overall, I can't see that it has
more than 50 hours of use on it, so hopefully if the compression is
right I should be covered. After the mechanical inspection, I'll head
down there and have them start it for me just to make sure it runs
smoothly.

Thanks!

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

The logistics of a sea trial? Is it on a trailer near water? In the water?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:09:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

The logistics of a sea trial? Is it on a trailer near water? In the water?

It's on a trailer, but the marina doesn't have any lift facilities, so
the boat would have to be towed to the nearest ramp, which is at a
park a few miles away. I guess they figured that based on the price
they agreed upon, they didn't want the hassle of dealing with it.

Doug Kanter

wrote:

The logistics of a sea trial? Is it on a trailer near water? In the

water?

It's on a trailer, but the marina doesn't have any lift facilities, so
the boat would have to be towed to the nearest ramp, which is at a
park a few miles away. I guess they figured that based on the price
they agreed upon, they didn't want the hassle of dealing with it.

In that case, I'd make damned sure you can get every penny of your
investment back if you find anything major wrong after taking the boat for a
spin. If the dealer can't afford the time to launch the boat for a test
drive, he's sure as hell not going to have enough money in the deal to fix
problems for you.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:55:27 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The logistics of a sea trial? Is it on a trailer near water? In the

water?

It's on a trailer, but the marina doesn't have any lift facilities, so
the boat would have to be towed to the nearest ramp, which is at a
park a few miles away. I guess they figured that based on the price
they agreed upon, they didn't want the hassle of dealing with it.

In that case, I'd make damned sure you can get every penny of your
investment back if you find anything major wrong after taking the boat for a
spin. If the dealer can't afford the time to launch the boat for a test
drive, he's sure as hell not going to have enough money in the deal to fix
problems for you.

Indeed, and hence the request for advice on the mechanical
inspection.....Maybe I'll get a friend with a truck to take a quick
spin in the boat before I pay for it..........
Matt Lang

I just put a deposit on a 2001, 13' Boston Whaler Sport with a 40HP
Mercury 2-stroke outboard. The boat and motor are in near flawless
condition aesthetically, and even under the motor cowling looks near
new.

Marine motors dont get as dirty as automitive motors but clean is
always a good sign ...

The boat seems to have had very little use, but I want to make sure I
don't get into trouble with the engine. I've asked the dealer to do a
compression check, and pressure test the lower unit. Is there
anything else I should be concerned with? Any idiosyncracies with
this particular engine?

With a 2 stroke a compression check tells the whole story ...

I would check/replace the impeller as well...

The motor should be checked for carbonization and i would take a look
at the sparkplugs. If its carbonized (will happen quicker when it was
used for trolling) then have it decarbonized.

I've been told that the 40HP Merc. had been around for years, and is
pretty much bulletproof. Aside from it going under water, being run
out of oil, or water in the lower unit, I can't think of anything else
to be concerned with.

Will a compression test uncover any major mechanical issues?

Yes, it will for the powerhead

Problem is, in my 30 years of boating, I've never owned a boat with an
outboard motor, so I'm quite wet behind the ears.

Any advice would be most appreciated...........

I am not a pro but I dont thik there is much more you can check ...

Matt
Stanley Barthfarkle

It's on a trailer, but the marina doesn't have any lift facilities, so
the boat would have to be towed to the nearest ramp, which is at a

A marina with no lift facilities and no ramp? Huh?

Doug Kanter

"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message

It's on a trailer, but the marina doesn't have any lift facilities, so
the boat would have to be towed to the nearest ramp, which is at a

A marina with no lift facilities and no ramp? Huh?

Sounds like a car dealership converted into a boat dealership. :-)