BruceM

Default Advice needed

Build it in Australia mate, .......... Bang a few nails into a hunk of wood
& go register it for a few bucks & you can go anywhere in it. No checks or
anything. Of course if you do charters there is.........
BruceM

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
There are still a few people around who were in that initial TSCA

(Traditional
Small Craft Association) vs USCG (U.S. Coast Guard) fray back around 1974.
Unfortunately, the 2 who probably know most about it are not on the net.

Also unfortunately, an apparent minority in the leadership of the Society

of
Nautical Architects and Maritime Engineers (SNAME) tried to resurrect a

similar
theme about 2 years ago. Essentially, they wanted to force a NA or ME

signature
of approval on any boat plans offered for sale or public distribution.

Their
forum was to try to get individual state legislatures to pass laws to that
effect.

A small group of TSCA people, alerted by a timely article in Messing About

in
Boats, was able to get enough backlash against SNAME in a few places that

the
effort apparently was dropped (at least publicly). It is also possible

that the
SNAME membership at large, who apparently was not in favor of the effort,

was
instrumental in allowing it to fade away -- at least temporarily.

Finally (for now), for 2 years running there have been efforts in the CT

state
legislature to register ALL small boats regardless of size or origin.

TSCA
members were instrumental in getting a total of 4 such bills squashed.

I'm sure
there have been similar attempts in other states.

We have to remain vigilant! Your membership can help!
------------------
John Weiss
Seattle, WA
recent past President,
The Traditional Small Craft Association
PO Box 350
Mystic, CT 06355
www.tsca.net

remove NOSPAM from reply address

"Adrian" wrote...

I will try a search on RCD now and see what I can find. Would imagine
getting a ferro cement boat to positive flotation when swamped could be
interesting lol.

"P.C. Ford" wrote...
Yes, I think the standard, if I recall correctly, was a remarkably
stupid bit of bureaucratic work. I believe it called for positive
flotation when swamped.

Most traditional boats would fail.

The Traditional Small Craft Association fought this one. Can't
remember how it turned out.