J Wall

Default Quick Advice Needed Please

After searching for a few weeks I believe I have found the boat we are
looking for and we meet all of our needs. It is a 1992 Four Winns 195
Sundowner with a 4.3l OMC Cobra Engine. It is super clean and well taken
care of.

My concern is the engine. Although the hours are low - it is an OMC Cobra
which as far as I understand is out of business. I understand aftermarket
parts are available however.....

How much of a concern should this be? Should I keep walking and look for
another boat. I hope to close the deal this weekend unless I hear that it is
a bad idea. Thanks,
Jim

Calif Bill

"J Wall" wrote in message
After searching for a few weeks I believe I have found the boat we are
looking for and we meet all of our needs. It is a 1992 Four Winns 195
Sundowner with a 4.3l OMC Cobra Engine. It is super clean and well taken
care of.

My concern is the engine. Although the hours are low - it is an OMC Cobra
which as far as I understand is out of business. I understand aftermarket
parts are available however.....

How much of a concern should this be? Should I keep walking and look for
another boat. I hope to close the deal this weekend unless I hear that it

is
a bad idea. Thanks,
Jim

The outdrive may be a concern, but not the engine. Is a Chevy and lots of
places for parts.
Bill

bomar

The engine is NOT made by OMC.
It's made by GM.
Virtually every gasoline engine installed in small craft in the last 20
years has been GM.
My concern would be the OMC drive. Parts are available from aftermarket
sources, but some years had all sorts of problems with the shift cables.
What years I don't recall, but it was a MAJOR issue.
1992 was pretty much it for the OMC Cobra as later production was the King
Cobra , which was really a Volvo.

Smart Tabs, quick report RichG General 2 May 7th 04 01:28 PM
Newbee advice needed Misiora General 5 March 31st 04 06:30 AM
Painting Colored Dash - Advice Needed!! [email protected] General 3 January 22nd 04 09:11 PM
Prop Size - Advice on Advice? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 December 31st 03 03:17 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM