RichG

Default Smart Tabs, quick report

Quick Smart Tab Report

I purchased some Smart Tabs for my Carolina Skiff 16.
My 16 STD ( 40 hp Yamaha 2 cycle) has not really had much of a problem
getting up quickly, but I was not prepared for what happened this morning.

I punched the throttle and tried to count the number of seconds to flat out
planing. Well, I couldn't get to the number ONE before she was up and flat.
After a quick run, with speeds over 30 mph, I brought her in and tried to
adjust the Tab pressure to something lighter.

Loosening and re-tightening the bolt(s) was an easy two minute job, while I
stood in ankle deep water.

Boom...off she went again. I'm not certain that I noticed anything
different, other than she was up fast and planing before I could count any
numbers at all.

Unfortunately, my engine decided to bog down and give me signs of trouble
right then. It will be in the shop tomorrow to find out what that was all
about.

I did not have, in my two runs, a chance to remove the tabs and run a direct
comparison run. Nor did I have time to take my hydrofoil off and run a
comparison run.

So, this is what I guess they call "anecdotal" evidence. The tabs performed
beyond my expectations. More data and testing will be reported when I get
the boat back from the shop.

My initial experience was very positive and I'm now thinking about a set for
my El Pescador! regards, RichG

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

William G. Andersen

Thanks for the post. I'm anxiously waiting for more results.
I've hesitated spending the money for Smart Tabs, thinking I'd be
disappointed I didn't spend more money to get Bennets. My 19' bowrider's OK
with a hydrofoil, but I'd like to relieve the drive of that stress.
I'd also like to know if Smart Tabs help lateral balance. When I have one of
my heavy weight friends along, they really cause my boat to lean when they
change seats.

"RichG" wrote in message
[...]

RichG

re "lateral balance". Assistance in turning is one of smart tabs' claims to
fame, according to the booklet included in the shipment.

Since I am now a "one hour expert" ...I can only tell you I DID put the
Carolina Skiff into a hard right turn. CS's have a tendency to slide out
since they have a totally flat bottom She did NOT slide out during that one
turn. About then, the motor pooped out...so it's just a one-time test for
me, but they seemed to work as advertised.

re your comment " relieve stress from the drive"...interesting, since I
MIGHT want to leave the hydrofoil on. If the tabs are doing their job, then
the engine won't need the "lift" provided by the foil. What I still may need
is the anti-cavitation attributes of a foil. The tabs should relieve the
stress. I do a lot of very shallow water running and the hydrofoil may be
needed to prevent blow-out in 12 inches of water. Yea, I know, most people
don't understand getting up on plane in real skinny water, but that's what
the Texas coast requires. More later, after I take the engine in this
morning.

re your heavy friends ( or, in my case..the captain-me). I am hoping that
the tabs will automatically adjust to weight moving quickly to one side of
the boat. They should, given the design of individually pressurized struts.
I doubt if I could, or even would, try to adjust Hydraulic or Electric tabs
each time someone moves around. The auto-adjust might be a better answer to
those quick movements. Heck, I don't know...I've only owned them a couple of
days.
--

"William G. Andersen" wrote in message
Thanks for the post. I'm anxiously waiting for more results.
I've hesitated spending the money for Smart Tabs, thinking I'd be
disappointed I didn't spend more money to get Bennets. My 19' bowrider's

OK
with a hydrofoil, but I'd like to relieve the drive of that stress.
I'd also like to know if Smart Tabs help lateral balance. When I have one

of
my heavy weight friends along, they really cause my boat to lean when they
change seats.

Smart Trim Tabs by Nauticus Capt. Jack General 4 February 11th 04 01:41 AM
Trim tabs Larry General 5 October 29th 03 01:55 AM
trim tabs werlax General 12 September 13th 03 03:11 AM
Nauticus Trim Tabs Bill Andersen General 0 July 28th 03 10:59 PM