Capt. Jack

Default Smart Trim Tabs by Nauticus

I am getting ready to install trim tabs on my 18' flats boat when I found an
article on the Nauticus Smart Tabs. I would be very interested in comments
from anyone with actual experience with these self adjusting tabs in lieu of
the conventional hydraulic actuated tabs.

Thanks.
Jack

RichG

I frequent a number of boating groups... iboats; the hull truth; and Florida
Sportsman's boards.
All of them have had favorable things to say about Smart Tabs.

A mechanic who checked out the motor on my 16 Carolina Skiff raved about
their effect. He didn't even know what they were called. He just had them on
his OWN CS. He took me all the way out to the back of the boatyard to show
them to me and spell out their blessings. When we got to the boat, I knew
what they were, from reading the groups and doing a little investigating.

I haven't put them on either of my two little boats yet. One, an El
Pescador, already has fixed tabs and so far seems to get up on plane well
enough. I haven't had her in the water long enough to know yet. The 16
Carolina Skiff gets up pretty well by herself too, so I might not need them.
If I did, I'd surely consider them. Reasonable price and seemingly good
results. That's good!
RichG

"Capt. Jack" wrote in message
om...
I am getting ready to install trim tabs on my 18' flats boat when I found

an
article on the Nauticus Smart Tabs. I would be very interested in comments
from anyone with actual experience with these self adjusting tabs in lieu

of
the conventional hydraulic actuated tabs.

Thanks.
Jack

William G. Andersen

I was going to add them to my 19' runabout before I ran out of money and had
to put it off for now.
The advantage of the Nauticus Trim Tabs is the low cost. The one
disadvantage is that they are intended only to get you up on plane and keep
you there - they are not designed to compensate for listing due to weight
distribution. If you pay hundreds of dollars more for hydraulic trim tabs,
you'll be able to control them individually to keep the boat level (port and
starboard).

"Capt. Jack" wrote in message
om...
I am getting ready to install trim tabs on my 18' flats boat when I found

an
article on the Nauticus Smart Tabs. I would be very interested in comments
from anyone with actual experience with these self adjusting tabs in lieu

of
the conventional hydraulic actuated tabs.

Thanks.
Jack

JDavis1277

Capt Jack,

Assume your flats boat is semi-flat bottom. If so you don't need tabs for
lateral stability so it must be for better planning characteristics??? Maybe,
a Doel Fin or similar would be a much cheaper and probably superior
alternative. Gets you on top soner and keeps you there at lower RPM for most
small boats

Added benefit of fins is ease of installation and removal. If you don't like
them just take them off and fill the holes in the cavitation plate and shoot a
little fresh paint on to hide the Bondo.

Good luck with whatever you do but I recommend Bennet tabs over anything I've
seen.

Butch

POWER TRIM TABS MANSFI General 4 January 3rd 04 12:13 AM
Trim tabs Larry General 5 October 29th 03 01:55 AM
trim tabs werlax General 12 September 13th 03 03:11 AM
Bennett Trim Tabs Customer Service F330 GT General 5 August 2nd 03 02:39 AM
Nauticus Trim Tabs Bill Andersen General 0 July 28th 03 10:59 PM