werlax

Default trim tabs

My next purchase for our 18' bowrider (4.3L Mercruiser, 14x23P, 1.81)
will be trim tabs because I like the idea of planing quicker and a
more level ride for an unbalanced load (like me sitting on one side
and my wife on the other).
Given my unfamiliarity with them, I'd like to know a couple of things.
I am comparing the Smart Tabs by Nauticus and manual adjust trim tabs
with a control at the helm. What reason would I need to manually
adjust the tabs? Will this make my outdrive trim unnecessary if I
were to go with the Smart Tabs?
Thanks for any help!
-v-

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
My next purchase for our 18' bowrider (4.3L Mercruiser, 14x23P, 1.81)
will be trim tabs because I like the idea of planing quicker and a
more level ride for an unbalanced load (like me sitting on one side
and my wife on the other).
Given my unfamiliarity with them, I'd like to know a couple of things.
I am comparing the Smart Tabs by Nauticus and manual adjust trim tabs
with a control at the helm. What reason would I need to manually
adjust the tabs? Will this make my outdrive trim unnecessary if I
were to go with the Smart Tabs?
Thanks for any help!

Bennett is the only way to go with trim tabs. I have used them since 1989.

You want to be able to adjust the tabs individually so you can trim out the
boat from side to side.

Bill Andersen

I plan on adding Smart Tabs to my 19' bowrider in a couple of weeks. They
cost significantly less than Bennett.
I expect the trim tabs to do a better job of getting me on plane without a
lot of bow rise, and to let me stay on plane at slower speeds. Nice for
wakeboarding and tubing with children. (I've been using a hydro-foil to
avoid bow rise for a couple of years.)
Tabs that are individually adjustable, remotely, while under power, are nice
because you can compensate for weight port and starboard. You pay the extra
money to have that convenience.
Smart Tabs are set when you install (and test ride) them; after that they
work on water pressure against the nitrogen filled cylinder. I'm hoping mine
will help with leveling the boat port/starboard when heavy people move
about, but don't know how much improvement too expect.
Trimming the outdrive only helps when on plane. I normally keep mine trimmed
all the way down; once on plane, I give it a couple of taps up and get a
little more speed/RPM as it lifts the bow up a little.

"-v-" wrote in message
m...

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
My next purchase for our 18' bowrider (4.3L Mercruiser, 14x23P, 1.81)
will be trim tabs because I like the idea of planing quicker and a
more level ride for an unbalanced load (like me sitting on one side
and my wife on the other).
Given my unfamiliarity with them, I'd like to know a couple of things.
I am comparing the Smart Tabs by Nauticus and manual adjust trim tabs
with a control at the helm. What reason would I need to manually
adjust the tabs? Will this make my outdrive trim unnecessary if I
were to go with the Smart Tabs?
Thanks for any help!

Bennett is the only way to go with trim tabs. I have used them since 1989.

You want to be able to adjust the tabs individually so you can trim out

the
boat from side to side.

werlax

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message news:rKl7b.50891$nf3.46453@fed1read07...
I plan on adding Smart Tabs to my 19' bowrider in a couple of weeks. They
cost significantly less than Bennett.

Yep, this is definately one of the larger pros for the Smart Tabs.
I'd be interested in reading a summary of your thoughts after you get
them installed and tested out. Are you installing them yourself?
Were you able to find any deals or did you buy them direct from
Nauticus?

Thanks!
Lawrence James

I have the small bennetts on my 19' bowrider and they are great. I would
not be happy if I could not adjust them for conditions. Like putting them
down some in choppy water keeps the ride smoother and less porposing. But
at the same speed in clear water I'll have them all the way up. I also put
them full down when wakeboarding to increase the wake and let the boat plan
slower.

[...]

"-v-" wrote in message
m...

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
My next purchase for our 18' bowrider (4.3L Mercruiser, 14x23P, 1.81)
will be trim tabs because I like the idea of planing quicker and a
more level ride for an unbalanced load (like me sitting on one side
and my wife on the other).
Given my unfamiliarity with them, I'd like to know a couple of things.
I am comparing the Smart Tabs by Nauticus and manual adjust trim tabs
with a control at the helm. What reason would I need to manually
adjust the tabs? Will this make my outdrive trim unnecessary if I
were to go with the Smart Tabs?
Thanks for any help!

Bennett is the only way to go with trim tabs. I have used them since

1989.

You want to be able to adjust the tabs individually so you can trim out

the
boat from side to side.

-v-

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
I'll be doing the installation of Smart Tabs myself. Read the installation
manual on their web site and it looks like I'll be spending more time
planning and making the initial settings than actually mounting them.
For those who recommend Bennett, I don't disagree that they may be better.
But, we're talking about 18'-19' boats and several hundred dollars
difference in price. And long trips? in a 19' boat? Most of us are

dragging
kids around a lake in a tube/on a wakeboard or going a few miles to a
fishing spot - not on long trips.

Not being able to trim the boat side to side for load/wind conditions is a
very serious drwback to the Smart Tabs.

I don't think I would spend a couple of hundred $ on them.

BB

Let me rephrase that "long trip" to all day boating regardless of distance.
If you travel an hour in rough water to your desitination in a boat that is
tilted to one side, it will seem like a loooong trip if you can't trim side
to side.

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
I'll be doing the installation of Smart Tabs myself. Read the installation
manual on their web site and it looks like I'll be spending more time
planning and making the initial settings than actually mounting them.
For those who recommend Bennett, I don't disagree that they may be better.
But, we're talking about 18'-19' boats and several hundred dollars
difference in price. And long trips? in a 19' boat? Most of us are

dragging
kids around a lake in a tube/on a wakeboard or going a few miles to a
fishing spot - not on long trips.

"BB" wrote in message
Go with fully adjustable Bennett trim tabs, you won't be sorry. Write

the
factory and tell them what boat and hull design you are putting them

on -
ask for their recomendation. That's the route I took back in the late

70's,
have been very pleased with the result, they always did what I asked

them
do. It's very tiring to drive a boat that is tilted a little off center

when
on plane on a long trip. Being able to adjust trim on plane, when people
move around the boat is a real PLUS.

Bill
"werlax" wrote in message
om...
My next purchase for our 18' bowrider (4.3L Mercruiser, 14x23P, 1.81)
will be trim tabs because I like the idea of planing quicker and a
more level ride for an unbalanced load (like me sitting on one side
and my wife on the other).
Given my unfamiliarity with them, I'd like to know a couple of things.
I am comparing the Smart Tabs by Nauticus and manual adjust trim tabs
with a control at the helm. What reason would I need to manually
adjust the tabs? Will this make my outdrive trim unnecessary if I
were to go with the Smart Tabs?
Thanks for any help!

werlax

"BB" wrote in message ...
It's very tiring to drive a boat that is tilted a little off center when
on plane on a long trip. Being able to adjust trim on plane, when people
move around the boat is a real PLUS.

From reading the Nauticus website, it seems to me that the Smart Tabs
are supposed to be able to counteract this tilt. It makes sense that
the actuator would respond by pushing back harder against the flow of
water on the side that's deeper in the water?
I'm not trying to talk myself out of a manual adjustment tab, but the
price of the manual tabs are about 3x more expensive and I'm just
trying to make the right decision.
Thanks for the responses!
werlax

"BB" wrote in message ...
It's very tiring to drive a boat that is tilted a little off center when
on plane on a long trip. Being able to adjust trim on plane, when people
move around the boat is a real PLUS.

Never mind what I wrote earlier about load balancing and the Smart
Tabs. I was thinking about it, and if they were to adjust to more
water pressure on one side (as in a tilted position), then I would
imagine they would prevent the boat from turning very well. Wouldn't
you end up walking sideways rather than leaning into the turn since
they're constantly trying to level the boat?
Paul

Good question. These things seem interesting. I have Bennetts so I'm good
but this is still interesting, if you dig up some reviews or something post
it here so we can get some edjickation.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
"BB" wrote in message

It's very tiring to drive a boat that is tilted a little off center when
on plane on a long trip. Being able to adjust trim on plane, when people
move around the boat is a real PLUS.

Never mind what I wrote earlier about load balancing and the Smart
Tabs. I was thinking about it, and if they were to adjust to more
water pressure on one side (as in a tilted position), then I would
imagine they would prevent the boat from turning very well. Wouldn't
you end up walking sideways rather than leaning into the turn since
they're constantly trying to level the boat?

Setting Trim Position and Trim Limit Switches M.E. General 1 August 5th 03 02:00 AM
Bennett Trim Tabs Customer Service F330 GT General 5 August 2nd 03 02:39 AM
Power Trim JTC General 0 July 29th 03 11:41 AM
Nauticus Trim Tabs Bill Andersen General 0 July 28th 03 10:59 PM
prop pitch/rpm and trim? werlax General 6 July 15th 03 12:40 AM