RichG

Default Smart Tabs, quick report

re "lateral balance". Assistance in turning is one of smart tabs' claims to
fame, according to the booklet included in the shipment.

Since I am now a "one hour expert" ...I can only tell you I DID put the
Carolina Skiff into a hard right turn. CS's have a tendency to slide out
since they have a totally flat bottom She did NOT slide out during that one
turn. About then, the motor pooped out...so it's just a one-time test for
me, but they seemed to work as advertised.

re your comment " relieve stress from the drive"...interesting, since I
MIGHT want to leave the hydrofoil on. If the tabs are doing their job, then
the engine won't need the "lift" provided by the foil. What I still may need
is the anti-cavitation attributes of a foil. The tabs should relieve the
stress. I do a lot of very shallow water running and the hydrofoil may be
needed to prevent blow-out in 12 inches of water. Yea, I know, most people
don't understand getting up on plane in real skinny water, but that's what
the Texas coast requires. More later, after I take the engine in this
morning.

re your heavy friends ( or, in my case..the captain-me). I am hoping that
the tabs will automatically adjust to weight moving quickly to one side of
the boat. They should, given the design of individually pressurized struts.
I doubt if I could, or even would, try to adjust Hydraulic or Electric tabs
each time someone moves around. The auto-adjust might be a better answer to
those quick movements. Heck, I don't know...I've only owned them a couple of
days.
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

"William G. Andersen" wrote in message
Thanks for the post. I'm anxiously waiting for more results.
I've hesitated spending the money for Smart Tabs, thinking I'd be
disappointed I didn't spend more money to get Bennets. My 19' bowrider's

OK
with a hydrofoil, but I'd like to relieve the drive of that stress.
I'd also like to know if Smart Tabs help lateral balance. When I have one

of
my heavy weight friends along, they really cause my boat to lean when they
change seats.