posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Our New Sails....on the way!

suspect that the longevity of your sails is more likely to be
determined by
the number of hours you expose them to UV rays in sunlight-especially
the
black-or near-black- one. You would have done better to get a set of
white
conventional sails.

They look more black than they are. In any case I spoke to quite a few
people about these sails before buying. Folks that we work with at UK
and Doyle both agreed that the Kevlar main dies a final death sooner
than a dacron sail. But they also felt that the Kevlar held most of
it's shape for longer. I can attest to this since the J29 I sail on has
a Kevlar main and it's 5 years old and still in pretty good shape. Of
course a Dacron sail can last 20 years, but how much shape is left at
that point? Also keep in mind that these are tri-radial. For 1200 bucks
and a lazy jacks system thrown in, it's an amazing deal.
Even if I owned a good set of dacron sails I would not have passed
these up!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Edgar wrote:
Well, you may well do some 'light' sailing but I
suspect that the longevity of your sails is more likely to be determined by
the number of hours you expose them to UV rays in sunlight-especially the
black-or near-black- one.

Yep. Flogging is also harder on them than on conventional
Dacron.

Longevity is the last thing people who buy Kevlar sails are interested in

Depends on how you define "longevity." Kevlar and other
hi-tech material sails don't last longer overall, but they
hold their shape longer. Thus they have greater competitive
longevity.

A set of fancy racing sails should be fitted to the rig,
taking into such accounts as pre-bend, inducable bend (ie
how far the mast bends when you haul the backstay on as
tight as you can), for headsails the halyard tension and
deck configuration of sheet leads is paramount. Without some
time spent by a sailmaker on board your vessel (or an
identical sistership), buying hi-tech sails is pretty much a
waste of money.

For one-design boats, obviously this is an easy hoop to get
thru. For high production racer-cruisers, it's usually
pretty easy but you have to know the class standards of how
your rig is set up & whether your boat is still nice & stiff
& if there have been any changes in the standard deck
lay-out. Such things as putting different locks & halyard
winches on can make a difference, especially with a frac rig.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Depends on how you define "longevity." Kevlar and other
hi-tech material sails don't last longer overall, but they
hold their shape longer. Thus they have greater competitive
longevity.

Doug once again repeats what I've already said.

Without some
time spent by a sailmaker on board your vessel (or an
identical sistership), buying hi-tech sails is pretty much a
waste of money.

Of course. These came off the exact same boat and I even spoke to the
original owner about it. The only difference in his rig is that he
improved his backstay adjustment, but he did this after the sails were
cut.
The main is here and looks NEW. Waiting for the genoa now!

And I can't wait to go sailing with these sails!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Yep. Flogging is also harder on them than on conventional
Dacron.

Which is why this is a full batten main.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You're still saying the hoist is short after I posted pics showing
the exact same hoist on two more 35s5's??? Oh boy...don't let photos
sway you...they must ALL be short on the hoist! And it's the same on
mine.

Boobster, the photos you posted show the main at least a foot short on
the hoist, period. That is unless you are going to tell us somebody
put the black band in the wrong place on both boats. Highly unlikely.
You paid exactly what those sails are worth to a knowledgable
person..........Half price.

35s5 bringing up the rear

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sloco busted AGAIN!

Boobster, the photos you posted show the main at least a foot short on
the hoist, period.

Just ignore the photos, Sloco!
Do you know WHY the hoist ends where it does???? There's a specific
reason. Hmmmm.....could it be due to the backstay???!!!!
Look again, dopey! We already measured the hoist when the sail came as
we are also adding batcars.
Have a look at Footloose, Sloco....or don't!!!!

http://home.att.net/~captnerdo/images/Footloos.gif

Lord, you must be DYING that I've got these sails!!!! BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
At least you're not too ashamed to show it!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Boobster, the photos you posted show the main at least a foot short on
the hoist, period.

Yup....and I posted 3 pics showing the same hoist point....and mine is
the same. So you're maintaining that the hoist is short on ALL 4 BOATS,
right???

You SURE know boats, Sloco!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 13 Oct 2006 03:15:30 -0700, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Boobster, the photos you posted show the main at least a foot short on
the hoist, period.

Just ignore the photos, Sloco!
Do you know WHY the hoist ends where it does???? There's a specific
reason. Hmmmm.....could it be due to the backstay???!!!!
Look again, dopey! We already measured the hoist when the sail came as
we are also adding batcars.
Have a look at Footloose, Sloco....or don't!!!!

http://home.att.net/~captnerdo/images/Footloos.gif

Lord, you must be DYING that I've got these sails!!!! BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
At least you're not too ashamed to show it!

RB
35s5
NY

Maybe Sloco could use your old sails to re-upholster the interior of his boat. I
know he's been shopping for fabric! The mildew would blend right in.

CWM

There's an industry in used sails being made into bafs, jackets, and
other sialing paraphenalia...maybe he could start a second business...we
should all donate any old spinnakers to him...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Boobster, the photos you posted show the main at least a foot short on
the hoist, period.

Just ignore the photos, Sloco!
Do you know WHY the hoist ends where it does???? There's a specific
reason. Hmmmm.....could it be due to the backstay???!!!!

Huh? Could explain just what the backstay has to do with the length of
the luff?

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Huh? Could explain just what the backstay has to do with the length of

the luff?

Martin, the headboard has to able to clear the backstay at the top of
the mast. My headboard cannot go to the very top of the groove because
it would foul the backstay. My Kevlar main has a bit more roach than a
standard main, so she'll actually have more Sq. feet than the standard.
Got it? I posted 4 photos so far showing the true hoist, which is about
a foot or so below the top of the mast. Sloco actually (see his posts)
that ALL of these boats have mains with the wrong hoist. I have the
original Beneteau main in my sail-locker and the hoist is the same as
the Kevlar sail.
Like I said, Sloco sure knows boats! If he had quickly googled up a few
pics he would have spotted his mistake. Now I get to blast him for it
forever!

RB
35s5
NY

Sails & Sailmaking manual 1904 FA JaneyP Boat Building 0 December 30th 05 02:24 AM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM
HELP! Need suggestions on making mast & sails sandy Boat Building 10 February 8th 04 04:24 PM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM