Jeff Morris

JG wrote:
In the SF bay, Danforths work fine. When I was in Belize, we had a primary
plow on 43' catamaran, which didn't hold no matter what we tried, but the
relatively tiny Danforth worked like a charm.

What type of plow? And did it not set (perhaps a very hard bottom),
or did it set and drag (a very soft bottom), or seem to set, and then
release (rocks or weeds)? In the first two cases, a Danforth will
work better; in the third, its catch as catch can, so to speak.

I imagine that there is
something to be said for being familiar with what you have, along with
choosing the appropriate anchor.

A common trend in an anchor discussion is that people will say "I used
an XXXX anchor for years and never had a problem." Newbies will
generally have problems until they figure is out.

Scott Vernon

"DSK" wrote

We have a 35# Danforth also but it's stowed in the lazarette and is

PITA to get out & deploy.

Why a PITA? I have 3 danforths on my boat. The main one in the anchor
locker.

1/2" braid anchor rode for a 30-footer?!?!

I use 1/2'' double braid.

Scotty

Capt. Neal®

Scotty,

The right tool for the job . . .

Do you use a claw hammer instead of a ball peen hammer when doing metal work?

Do you use an ax when you are digging a hole instead of a spade?

Think, man, think! There are many types of anchors that are the right tool
for the job of anchoring and the right tool depends upon the bottom this
tool is intended to tackle. There is no ONE anchor type that works well
for all bottom conditions. For this reason one should have readily at hand
a variety of different anchor types so one can tackle any bottom type with
success.

Any sailor who tells you to rely on one anchor or only have one anchor on
the bow is no sailor but a lubber who has no experience nor any success
at anchoring in other than one or two places he frequents where the bottom
is known and consistent.

We real cruising sailors, who have sailed and lived aboard for more years
than most of the snot-nosed fools in this group have grown nose hairs,
realize how it must be done and just get a good laugh when reading the
claims of fools who say one anchor does it all.

CN

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Why a PITA? I have 3 danforths on my boat. The main one in the anchor
locker.

Thom Stewart

Neal,

Just went back and checked your pictures. Excuse me for going on about
how you fly your Jenny. I was wrong. Which makes another question. In
the picture of your W-O-W, What the hell line is the Jenny wrapped on??

Nice Web, by the way.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Capt. Neal®

Ole Thom,

I was wondering about why you were saying the genny was sheeted inside the shrouds.

It would not even be possible to do so because of the placement of the genny tracks
outside the shrouds. The sheets must be lead outside all the standing rigging in order
for it to work.

What the Hell line is the jenny wrapped on??? Let me check the pic . . .

I'm looking at this one: http://captneal.homestead.com/files/Wingnwing.jpg

Maybe you are looking at the preventer line which appears on the left and near
the opened hatch??? It does not go to the jenny. It is for the boom.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Neal,

Just went back and checked your pictures. Excuse me for going on about
how you fly your Jenny. I was wrong. Which makes another question. In
the picture of your W-O-W, What the hell line is the Jenny wrapped on??

Nice Web, by the way.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Thom Stewart

Neal,

Do you see what I'm talking about . Near the Clew? Could it be a
Spinnaker Halyard? It sure looks like a line from the Gunnel going
vertical on the Lee Side? It could maybe a shadow but I don't think my
old eys are that bad yet (I hope)

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Neal,

Do you see what I'm talking about . Near the Clew? Could it be a
Spinnaker Halyard? It sure looks like a line from the Gunnel going
vertical on the Lee Side? It could maybe a shadow but I don't think my
old eys are that bad yet (I hope)

I think you are seeing the port side preventer line. It goes from the boom, over the lifeline,
down to a block, along the deck and back to a cleat near the companionway.

CN
Scott Vernon

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
Scotty,

The right tool for the job . . .

Do you use a claw hammer instead of a ball peen hammer when doing

metal work?

I do, if it's handier than the others. Also have driven nails with a
BP hammer.

Any sailor who tells you to rely on one anchor or only have one

anchor on
the bow is no sailor but a lubber who has no experience nor any

success
at anchoring in other than one or two places he frequents where the

bottom
is known and consistent.

Ah, there's the crux. I haven't left the Chesapeake Bay as yet.

Scotty

JG

You know, I just can't remember at this point. It would set briefly, then on
a short watch, it would drag. So, we'd let out more scope and it would set
again briefly. We repeated this until we either ran out of room to let out
more scope or it was obvious that no matter how much we let out, it wouldn't
make any difference.

I've use the Danforth in a weed/sand area with a good amount of success. If
I could actually get it in a patch of sand encircled by weeds/grass, it
would generally hold. Aim was important... there's the sand, NOW! g

When I first started sailing in situations that required anchoring for lunch
or sleep, I remember being quite nervous about doing it and tended to put
the engine in hard reverse to try and really, really, set the hook, but I
soon figured out that was not helping at all. In the bay, we drop the hook
and just let the boat drift back on its own. Job done. Occasionally, its
necessary to give a light hand to reverse, but this is typically when
there's no wind to push the boat back.

The most difficult place I found was Cooper's Island, BVI, which is mostly
grass. The first time I was there, it took three shots at it before it
stuck. The second time, it stuck the first time, but we dragged a bit later
that night. Since then, I either didn't have any trouble (checking with a
dive on it) or elected to take a mooring.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
JG wrote:
In the SF bay, Danforths work fine. When I was in Belize, we had a
primary plow on 43' catamaran, which didn't hold no matter what we tried,
but the relatively tiny Danforth worked like a charm.

What type of plow? And did it not set (perhaps a very hard bottom), or
did it set and drag (a very soft bottom), or seem to set, and then release
(rocks or weeds)? In the first two cases, a Danforth will work better; in
the third, its catch as catch can, so to speak.

I imagine that there is something to be said for being familiar with what
you have, along with choosing the appropriate anchor.

A common trend in an anchor discussion is that people will say "I used an
XXXX anchor for years and never had a problem." Newbies will generally
have problems until they figure is out.

Jeff Morris

JG wrote:
You know, I just can't remember at this point. It would set briefly, then on
a short watch, it would drag. So, we'd let out more scope and it would set
again briefly. We repeated this until we either ran out of room to let out
more scope or it was obvious that no matter how much we let out, it wouldn't
make any difference.

Adding scope, assuming you had a proper amount to start, hardly ever
helps. Its certainly no help if the bottom is too soft for the
anchor. The one thing it does is give the anchor some time to dig in
by itself.

I've use the Danforth in a weed/sand area with a good amount of success. If
I could actually get it in a patch of sand encircled by weeds/grass, it
would generally hold. Aim was important... there's the sand, NOW! g

That's why I use a fishfinder rather than a depthsounder.

When I first started sailing in situations that required anchoring for lunch
or sleep, I remember being quite nervous about doing it and tended to put
the engine in hard reverse to try and really, really, set the hook, but I
soon figured out that was not helping at all.

Who cares if you're staying one the boat for a lunch break? The
Fortress is nice as a lunch hook because you can set it by hand and
feel when it grabs. This is one of the problems with a lot of chain:
it makes it impossible to feel when the anchor grabs.

In the bay, we drop the hook
and just let the boat drift back on its own. Job done. Occasionally, its
necessary to give a light hand to reverse, but this is typically when
there's no wind to push the boat back.

That's about all I do for overnight setting, though we'll test by
revving up, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep. We used to go
crazy trying to back the Nonsuch, which can't back in a straight line.
We learned that plow anchors set themselves best if you give them
some time.