Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

Well, obviously sails don't burn fuel, but they are expensive and have a
limited life span. You could, if you were diligent, figure out how many
miles/$ you got out of sails, but you'd probably prefer to not know.

Which would certainly be among the most useless pieces of info any sailor
could ever hope to acquire. Boaters should really not do the numbers w/r/t
costs vs. miles, or cost vs. time spent on the boat, etc. The bottom line
is never pretty.

They're too beamy and they're dragging an extra prop through the water.

Not all of them have wing engines. They're optional, and most don't have
'em.

Which is about twice the power it'll ever realistically need.

Matter of opinion. Nordic Tug sells more boats than they can produce
annually, and they all have 300hp Cummins or better. Same with American
Tugs, Pacific Seacraft Fast Trawlers, Sabreline, and others.

No twin is fuel efficient, but that's not the point. Twins are supposed to
be fast.

Twin Cats on a 42 Grand Banks is really pretty silly, if you think about it.
If the boat owner really wants speed, he should consider a planing hull with
the same engines for about the same money.

And it's my point that fuel simply isn't that great an expense, compared
with all the other costs of having & keeping & maintaining the boat.

That's a very nice point, Doug. Glad you made it. Now, why did you make
it? We weren't discussing fuel costs, apart from the fact that I just
mentioned--in passing--that I spent damn little for fuel this year. Not
that it's any big deal.

So? Do you always sail faster than 6 knots?

Not generally, but I'd sure like to. My next boat will be capable of at
least a sustained 7 kts. under sail or power. If I had the resources, I'd
own a Saga 43, which can do 8 kts. in 15kts. of wind, and 9-11kts. with
enough wind and wave to surf occasionally.

We generally go 7 to 7 1/2 and burn from somewhat less than 1 to 1 1/2
gph. At 6 kt we burn about 1/2 gph. If I slow down to idle, the boat goes
4 1/2 and the engine actually pulls in hyrdocarbons from the air, converts
it to diesel fuel, and pumps it into the tanks

Have I told you about my cold fusion reactor that I'm putting on my next
boat? g

Max

Maxprop

"JG" wrote in message

Yup, you're clearly very upset with me. Why's that?

You really do need to seek some professional help, Jon.

Max

Maxprop

"Nav" wrote in message

That is because you are a discerning woman who appreciates the finer
things in life. A noisy smelly diesel engine on a slow boat is not one of
them eh?

I find trawlers to be a bit boring for weekend outings. But just about the
most fun I've ever had on one was skippering a CWB 35 with twin Lehmans from
Pen****er to White Lake (about 35nm) in a nor'wester of 30-45kts. with
quartering waves of 8-10'. What a ride. It took a lot of concentration to
keep the damn boat on course, but it was a blast. Never doubted the ability
of the vessel to handle those conditions for a moment. Several of the
passengers lost their breakfast, however.

Max

JG

Starting to rant there Maxipad? You keep saying the same thing over and
over.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"JG" wrote in message

Yup, you're clearly very upset with me. Why's that?

You really do need to seek some professional help, Jon.

Max

Lady Pilot

"DSK" wrote:

http://community.webshots.com/album/63279185YQtgSA

1984 Sundowner 36

Thanks for the pictures, Doug.

LP (nice boat)

Lady Pilot

"Nav" wrote:

Ella can go at 8 knots with nothing more than a fair breeze.

Just curious, how much do you have to pay for a captain for you sailboat?

LP

Lady Pilot

"Nav" wrote:
Put there by your news server I think.

Katysails has her own news server? I'm impressed!

LP

Lady Pilot

"Donal" wrote:

"Scout" wrote:

I've been in many very old homes. In general, they're beautiful but too
inefficiency for my liking. I like the modern building materials,
waterproofed basements, tall basements, superior electrical and plumbing
systems, and so forth.

We have running water too! We even have electricity in most of the
rooms.

Furthermore, I'll have a real fire burning on Christmas day! I think
that
we'll start with logs (from our garden), and later we'll use coal.

Coal? Does Santa know about this? I thought Santa was a liberal and Green
Peace and all of that...

LP

Lady Pilot

"Capt. Neal®" wrote:

"Lady Pilot" wrote:

"Joe" wrote

I was going to get Bob a directing job fiming the flick version but
after his dis'n me as bb Im not so sure.

Let me know if you ever get the movie project off the ground. I have a
friend that might be interested. He was co-Producer on the Godfather
III.
He's back home now in OKC. Last time we had dinner together he was
working
on a movie about Wiley Post and was needing technical advise on stunt
pilots, etc.

http://theoscarsite.com/whoswho5/frederickson_g.htm

Of course for my help, you will have to get me an actor's role in the
movie.
:-)

LP

Oh oh! Maybe BinaryBill is right about your being a man.
A woman would surely ask for an actress role, not an actor's role.

Maybe you've been out to sea too long, sailor.
Do you call your mailman a mailwoman?
Maybe you should get up with the times, and I quote from:

A female actor is an actress, although an increasingly large group feel that
the term "actor" should be redefined as being gender-neutral and used for
both men and women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Maybe you ate too much Key Lime Pie?

LP

Lady Pilot

No, but it wouldn't be hard to get one if I needed it. My friend went to
Rome to shoot the Godfather part III and she didn't need a card.

LP

"katysails" wrote:
You have a Guild card?