Capt. Neal®

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message news:TAqzd.28183$F25.19580@okepread07...

Only in your dreams, cedar bucket boy...

My oh my. You're beginning to sound like Katysails. I am so fortunate to be
loved by two women.

You have heard my voice and you still make scripts for plays like you do?
rofl

How do I know who I talked to? It could be anybody on the other end
of the phone. You are probably a spy from the Gay One in San Francisco
sent out to gather information of me and set me up for scurrilous indictments.

You probably wish in your dreams that you Gotcha any warm attractive female
body that crosses your path...

That's not what you said when you were begging for sailing lessons . . .

Besides, I'm over you. I've still got Katysails, what sane man could ask for more?

CN

Scout

"Lady Pilot" wrote
How could you sell a motorcyle to Ireland when you live in the USA?
Are shipping costs that low nowadays?

They came here and got it LP. They make a few buying trips each year. They
rent a container and take about 20 bikes back to Ireland with them each
trip. Always a pleasure doing business with people who have cash.
Scout

katysails

Most of them....Mr Sails has been insane for about 26 years now.....I, of
course, was the great catalyst for his condition...it's a dangerous thing
knowing me too well....Max has only been exposed to a very small version of
what I am in a social sense and look at how insane he is....

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

[...]

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

Most of them....Mr Sails has been insane for about 26 years now.....

Not so sure about that, but . . .

I, of course, was the great catalyst for his condition...

Most likely, if indeed he is insane.

it's a dangerous thing knowing me too well....

Without a doubt.

Max has only been exposed to a very small version of what I am in a social
sense and look at how insane he is....

True. How sadly true.

Mr. Warren: you really should give second (and third, ad infinitum) thought
to pursuing a relationship with this particular woman. She's a great
sailor, a great person, but indeed the catalyst for mental disarray and
thoughts of suicide. That Mr. Sails is still alive and kicking is a
testament to his iron backbone and steel constitution. That her children
still visit her is a testament to their wills of titanium. I really don't
know what it is about her, but next to her the Stepford wives are naught but
a pile of arcing microcircuits. Exposed to her Spiderman would fall off the
sides of buildings into an amorphous blob of protoplasmic goo on the
sidewalk.

Proceed with utmost caution. You have been forewarned.

Max

DSK

Maxprop wrote:
Your derision of my comment makes the presumption that I might actually give
a rat's posterior

Well, do you give a rat's posterior about making a posterior of
yourselve when you express opinions that are (shall we tactfully say)
not rooted in fact?

You can build a lot and still build well. You can also build custom boats
that are crap. It all depends on where the money goes.

True, but you cite the exceptions rather than the rule.

If there are exceptions, then citing the rule and insisting that your
enxamined and uninformed judgement must be considered axiomatic is not
exactly wise.

... The boats
you seem to be defending have a lengthy reputation for building
cookie-cutter boats for the low-end market and for the charter market.

The only boat(s) I'm defending is Jeanneau, which has built a wide range
of non-mass-produced-crap boats. But you don't want to know about them.

Never heard of a Stellar.

Custom. Premium in every respect.

OK I will keep my eyes peeled for one.

I've been aboard a couple of Flemings, and they are very nice.

Did you go down into the engine room?

.... Have you seen a new Symbol 45 Pilothouse fast trawler?
Most impressive, especially considering the price.

Never heard of them either.

DSK

DSK

Look at a Nordic 40 or 44. Another Perry design.

Maxprop wrote:
I remember when those boats first hit the market, and they looked great.
Unfortunately they seem rather rare. None anywhere around here, and not too
many on Yachtworld.com either.

Probably true. I saw a listing for a centerboard Nordic 40 a while back,
a critter I had no idea existed. My wife loved the Nordic and so I
showed her. She's still mad at me about suggesting a New York 40
centerboard model....

.... The Baltics are among our first choices for a
replacement to our current boat.

That'd be a good call IMHO.

The quality of the Sagas is excellent

Not my impression of them. Have you looked carefully in all the nooks &
crannies?

Not really. A friend has an '02 Saga 43, and on the surface it looks like a
quality machine, but we didn't actually did into the boat. It is very fast,
however, and handles wonderfully in a trailing sea.

I bilge-crawled intensively through two different ones at two boat
shows, and came away unimpressed. They seem to cut a lot of corners in
hidden places.

I have not sailed the boat in a following sea but the hull shape seems
likely to do that. As for fast, that's relative. Certainly they're a
hell of a lot faster than the crab-crushers they seem to be replacing in
many people's idealogy.

As I mentioned earlier, they're all too new for us to consider. I'm not
willing to take the whopping first several years' depreciation on any boat,
so we're not considering anything newer than roughly eight years old. No
Sagas in that category. I'd rather have a Swan or Baltic anyway. And I
just got a lead on a pristine Passport 40 today. We'll take a look at it
when the snow begins to melt, if it's still available.

Commendable approach. Not being in a hurry is wise when boat shopping.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

I bilge-crawled intensively through two different ones at two boat shows,
and came away unimpressed. They seem to cut a lot of corners in hidden
places.

I have not sailed the boat in a following sea but the hull shape seems
likely to do that. As for fast, that's relative. Certainly they're a hell
of a lot faster than the crab-crushers they seem to be replacing in many
people's idealogy.

That's an interesting point, and one which I think sums up a lot in terms of
crusing design these days. Away from the ponderous Taiwanese joinery
masterpieces toward narrower, faster, lighter displacement hulls without the
fine furniture store ambience below. When checking out my friend's Saga, I
didn't have the time to pay much scrutiny to construction, rather a cursory
examination of rigging, deck, and interior amenities. I was on the helm for
most of the trip, which is where I wanted to be anyhoo.

Commendable approach. Not being in a hurry is wise when boat shopping.

We're in a unique position, for once in our lives. We have a very
attractive boat with all the bells, whistles, and extras, and it's a great
sailor with acceptable amenities and better-than-average strength and build
quality for a 34 footer. We're not in any hurry to part with her, so
essentially it'll take a pretty spectacular boat at a reasonable price to
make the deal. We have, by my reckoning, at least 8 years before the
deadline of having to upgrade to a larger boat.

Max

Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:
Your derision of my comment makes the presumption that I might actually
give a rat's posterior

Well, do you give a rat's posterior about making a posterior of yourselve
when you express opinions that are (shall we tactfully say) not rooted in
fact?

Only on Usenet will someone jump down your throat for not being completely
and inexorably pedantic w/r/t your opinions. After twenty years of
observing mediocre Jeanneaus at shows, on the docks, and in marina
showrooms, most rational people would conclude that Jeanneau builds boats to
a price line and nothing particularly exceptional. Having seen no evidence
to the contrary, either in the flesh or in print, it would not be imprudent
to draw such a conclusion. But then along comes the ubiquitous Usenet
bully, living his daily life for the opportunity to lambast someone whose
knowledge was perhaps not quite as esoteric w/r/t the subject at hand as his
own. And he labels his target with such terms as stupid, ignorant, horse's
ass, and myriad other appellations, simply because the target's observations
weren't perhaps precisely correct, despite the fact that they were the
accurate with respect to his observations and those of most others. A bit
of tolerance and flexibility go a long way, both here and in personal
relationships. I'm guessing you don't jump all over your friends and people
at your marina when they are in minor error.

True, but you cite the exceptions rather than the rule.

If there are exceptions, then citing the rule and insisting that your
enxamined and uninformed judgement must be considered axiomatic is not
exactly wise.

It's completely normal and quite predictable, outside of the know-it-all's
paradise, otherwise known as Usenet. I'm betting that nearly 100% of
sailors polled as to the quality range of Jeanneau boats at, say, a Sail
America show, would agree with my assessment. We might be wrong, but with
respect to the boats that Jeanneau sells in the US, we're not incorrect.
Would it be wrong to conclude that Hunter largely builds low-end boats to a
price, despite the fact that Warren Luhrs built a few of the most powerful,
strongest, and advanced custom round-the-world racers?

... The boats you seem to be defending have a lengthy reputation for
building cookie-cutter boats for the low-end market and for the charter
market.

The only boat(s) I'm defending is Jeanneau, which has built a wide range
of non-mass-produced-crap boats. But you don't want to know about them.

LOL. I never said any such thing. YOU made that leap of illogic. I only
told you what I'd observed. You corrected me, and I stand corrected, much
as it pains me to do so, having been chastised by a Usenet hardass. g

Custom. Premium in every respect.

OK I will keep my eyes peeled for one.

Not a lot of Stellars around these parts. I think they're made in NZ or
perhaps somewhere in Europe. They were so far out of my price range that I
never bothered to find out much about them. Just a lot of ooohs and aaaahs.

I've been aboard a couple of Flemings, and they are very nice.

Did you go down into the engine room?

Yes. Amazing. Full headroom, spotless as a galley, and wonderfully roomy.
Unfortunately it was about 90F and humid that day, and the engine room was
about 110 with a monster genset running to power the A/C, so I didn't
linger.

.... Have you seen a new Symbol 45 Pilothouse fast trawler? Most
impressive, especially considering the price.

Never heard of them either.

Saw my first one this August. Amazing quality and finish, and another
engine room that's really a by-God engine room. 500hp and 18kts--another
big engined trawler--but the details and layout were among the best I've
seen on any boat of comparable size. Priced around $600K, they compare most
favorably against similarly-sized trawlers costing about $400K more. Built
in Taiwan, I believe, and still waaay out of my price range.

Max