Jeff Morris

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US citizenship.
If that is true, you will have to let the documentation lapse. You may still be
able to register it in a state of the US, but that could cause problems if you
travel outside the US.

Here's the site, read the FAQ:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

"Ric" wrote in message
Hello,

I am an "alien" as you americans like to call us. I'm even worse an
"undesirable alien" because your government won't give me a visa because of
a book I wrote.

However, I wish to buy a second-hand boat from a gentleman in New York. He
currently has the boat registered under a US flag. Will I be able to keep
the boat under US flag? I intend to live aboard and sail indefinitely, so
will have no fixed abode so no logical country to register the boat. It
would make things much simpler therefore if I just kept it under US flag.
Would this be permitted, given that I am an "undesirable alien" and do not
have an address in the USA?

Ric

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US

citizenship.
If that is true, you will have to let the documentation lapse. You may

still be
able to register it in a state of the US, but that could cause problems if

you
travel outside the US.

Here's the site, read the FAQ:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Thanks, I've emailed the USCG to ask their advice.

JAXAshby

I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US
citizenship.

that is a fact. non citizens are not even allowed to use documented boats
unless a citizen is aboard

Jeff Morris

That's not true. Please produce a reference to such a regulation. If this were
true it would be impossible for a tourist to do a bare boat charter of a
documented vessel.

What is true is that to carry passengers for hire you need a license which
requires citizenship. I believe that immigration papers are accepted for the
lowest level (launch driver perhaps?). I think there a similar restrictions on
other commercial vessels.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US
citizenship.

that is a fact. non citizens are not even allowed to use documented boats
unless a citizen is aboard

JAXAshby

sorry, dude. aliens are not allowed to document a boat in the US. In
addition, aliens are not allowed to operate a US documented boat without a
citizen aboard.

maybe charter boats have a special exemption? maybe the CG doesn't check?

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US
citizenship.

that is a fact. non citizens are not even allowed to use documented boats
unless a citizen is aboard

Jeff Morris

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
sorry, dude. aliens are not allowed to document a boat in the US. In
addition, aliens are not allowed to operate a US documented boat without a
citizen aboard.

maybe charter boats have a special exemption? maybe the CG doesn't check?

Maybe there's no such regulation? The CFR is online, jaxie, it shouldn't be too
hard for you to find the reg.

JAXAshby

from the Code of Federal Regulations:

"q) Transfer means the passing of control of or an interest in a Documented
Vessel and includes the involuntary conveyance by a foreign judicial or
administrative tribunal of any interest in or control of a
Documented Vessel owned by a Citizen of the United States to a Noncitizen that
is not eligible to own a Documented Vessel."
Jeff Morris

OK.
46CFR221 goes into some detail about the process of chartering, including the
permissions required to charter to non-citizens and the fees involved (several
hundred dollars) to obtain this approval.

However, 46CFR221.11:
(b)(1) The approvals required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section
are not required for the following Documented Vessel types if the vessel
has been operated exclusively and with bona fides for one or more of the
following uses, under a Certificate of Documentation with an appropriate
endorsement and no other, since initial documentation or renewal of its
documentation following construction, conversion, or transfer from
foreign registry, or, if it has not yet so operated, if the vessel has
been designed and built and will be operated for one or more of the
following uses:
(iv) A Pleasure vessel.

Once again, jaxie, you're busted.

sorry, dude. That's your job.