Jeff Morris

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US citizenship.
If that is true, you will have to let the documentation lapse. You may still be
able to register it in a state of the US, but that could cause problems if you
travel outside the US.

Here's the site, read the FAQ:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

"Ric" wrote in message
Hello,

I am an "alien" as you americans like to call us. I'm even worse an
"undesirable alien" because your government won't give me a visa because of
a book I wrote.

However, I wish to buy a second-hand boat from a gentleman in New York. He
currently has the boat registered under a US flag. Will I be able to keep
the boat under US flag? I intend to live aboard and sail indefinitely, so
will have no fixed abode so no logical country to register the boat. It
would make things much simpler therefore if I just kept it under US flag.
Would this be permitted, given that I am an "undesirable alien" and do not
have an address in the USA?