Scott Vernon

Default Rigging Question

You sound like a real klutz.

"Maxprop" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"MC" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

See other posts. I've grown tired of needlessly dropping tools

overboard.
Rings are cheap.

Perhaps you should attach your tool to soemthing.

Um, I'm not gonna go there . . .

It's a good idea for
heavy weather and a requirement for the bolt cutters...

I've been drilling holes in the distal ends of the handles/grips of many

of
my more valued tools for this reason. Oddly enough, a large stainless
cotter ring through the hole in the handle works perfectly for attaching a
lanyard with a small snap hook at the end. Good for working aloft as

well.
Crew was getting ****ed at being bombed by tools from the masthead.

Max

Scott Vernon

How does one tell if a stay is twisted while the turnbuckle is still
attached?

SV

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I'll go out on a limb ... Why do they need securing?

I'm really not advocating this, but ...

When I bought my current boat I went to the factory for a week of

acceptance
tests, commissioning, etc. The boat was all rigged for us, but there were

no
cotter pins installed. They explained that as soon as we left, the mast

would
be pulled for the delivery down the Erie Canal, and there was no need to

install
the cotter pins for just a few day sails. I was skeptical, and checked

every
turnbuckle morning, noon, and night but of course, there was no movement

at all.

I've also wondered if both ends of the turnbuckle need a pin - for it to

turn,
the stay must twist. I hard to see how it could loosen more than a

quarter
turn.

As I say, I'm not advocating never using pins, and all of my stay have

split
pins, but I'm not sure losing one pin is an immediate crisis.

On the other hand, as an ex-dinghy sailor whose boats were rigged with

clevis
and ring pins, I can say its rather unnerving to find a ring-ding in the

bilge!

"N1EE" wrote in message
om...
What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

Bart Senior

Seahag

So you no longer eat beef??

Seahag

"katysails" wrote:

MC insanely ranted: Rations!

Ugh. Carnivore flesh is disgusting.

Alan Gomes

No...she no longer eats carnivores....
--AG

"Seahag" wrote in message
So you no longer eat beef??

Seahag

"katysails" wrote:

MC insanely ranted: Rations!

Ugh. Carnivore flesh is disgusting.

DSK

katysails wrote:

Since you have never met me, and several others on this ng have, your opinion is worth nothing.

If he meets you, is his opinion suddenly going to be worth something?

DSK

Joe

"katysails" wrote in message ...
Joe exclaimed:
I'd rather do it right the first time, thank you very much.

Then ehy do you sail a steel boat????

Because I can not afford my dream aluminum boat.
And because I like steel, I know how to maintain steel, and I will
crush any plastic boat that runs into me. Why do you sail inferior
plastic that prove to blisters and much more costly to maintain?

Joe
Martin Baxter

Alan Gomes wrote:

No...she no longer eats carnivores....
--AG

On the other hand if you grind bits of cattle and feed them
to cattle, does that not make the cattle into carnivorers?

The times they are a changin'.

Cheers
marty
Scott Vernon

No, but it does make them mad.

"Marty Baxter" asked ...

On the other hand if you grind bits of cattle and feed them
to cattle, does that not make the cattle into carnivorers?

Jonathan Ganz

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Alan Gomes wrote:

No...she no longer eats carnivores....
--AG

Sounds like my ex to me....

Jeff Morris

I don't know - I've never seen any evidence that a turnbuckle has loosened, at
least not a larger boat with open turnbuckles and some tension on the stays. On
smaller boats, I have seen them rattle open, and I've even the wire unlay a bit,
but that was on a club boat that raised and lowered the mast frequently, and was
generally mis-treated.

"N1EE" wrote in message
om...
What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

Bart Senior

Help with Hullmaster\Hughes 22' sailboat rigging Paul Latimer General 0 May 16th 04 01:03 AM
Rigging knife question Rich General 13 January 31st 04 09:52 PM
Rigging knife question Rich Boat Building 18 January 31st 04 09:52 PM
Tuning The Rigging Geoffrey Freer General 5 November 28th 03 12:34 PM
newbie again, rigging question Doug Miller ASA 0 July 7th 03 10:34 PM