N1EE

Default Rigging Question

What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

Bart Senior
Bobsprit

What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

Gadzooks!

RB
DSK

N1EE wrote:

What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

I like to use an oversized ring type cotter pin. They still have to be
taped over (it's a commonly heard myth that cotter rings won't snag
lines) but they are easier to use and have longer useful life. Some
people I sail with use safety-pin style cotter pins. These are fine
but I think they are more obtrusive.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart

Bart,

I do believe there is only one type of cotter pin. If however you're
going to be doing a lot of tuning on a turnbuckle a "split O" ring is a
better choice. It doesn't deform, tear sails, hook sheets, etc.

Bart, I keep my tension gauge in a cloth bag, with a roll of rigging
tape and assortment of cotter pins. There is nothing easier to install
than a new cotter pin and when its ends are bent over and the turn
buckle taped it is a better set-up

OT

katysails

We use ring and tape. too. Aside from the fact that the rings don't =
work themselves out or snap off, you also don't get gouged in the ankle =
by a bent over cotter pin on the way by. BTW, bobbypins can be used as =
SHORT TERM emergency voter pins if you're in a real crunch...just =
remember to replace them...they rust through very quickly and won't take =
a lot of load for a lonmg period of time. They are stronger than =
paperclips, though.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

N1EE wrote:

What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

I like to use an oversized ring type cotter pin. They still have to be
taped over (it's a commonly heard myth that cotter rings won't snag
lines) but they are easier to use and have longer useful life. Some
people I sail with use safety-pin style cotter pins. These are fine
but I think they are more obtrusive.

Agreed. Rings can be placed or removed without tools, whereas the split
cotter pins can't.

Max

PS--Doug: Do you live in NC? If so, where? Or at least from what port do
you sail?

DSK

Maxprop wrote:

Agreed. Rings can be placed or removed without tools, whereas the split
cotter pins can't.

Depends on how desperate you are. Adrenalin can do amazing things.

PS--Doug: Do you live in NC?

Yes, in fact I was born & raised in NC although I have not lived here
continuously.

If so, where?

Directly above the worlds largest deposit of red clay
Another answer is "too far inland."

Or at least from what port do
you sail?

We keep our big boat in New Bern, I see you're currently in Oriental.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jonathan Ganz

Why would you not carry a simple tool to do that?

I don't recommend rings. They *do* snag lines and when
they do, they're apt to get pulled out enough to finally
finish the job on their own. Straight cotter pins if put in
correctly will not come out and won't snag with or without
tape.

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"DSK" wrote in message

N1EE wrote:

What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

I like to use an oversized ring type cotter pin. They still have to be
taped over (it's a commonly heard myth that cotter rings won't snag
lines) but they are easier to use and have longer useful life. Some
people I sail with use safety-pin style cotter pins. These are fine
but I think they are more obtrusive.

Agreed. Rings can be placed or removed without tools, whereas the split
cotter pins can't.

Max

PS--Doug: Do you live in NC? If so, where? Or at least from what port

do
you sail?

Help with Hullmaster\Hughes 22' sailboat rigging Paul Latimer General 0 May 16th 04 01:03 AM
Rigging knife question Rich General 13 January 31st 04 09:52 PM
Rigging knife question Rich Boat Building 18 January 31st 04 09:52 PM
Tuning The Rigging Geoffrey Freer General 5 November 28th 03 12:34 PM
newbie again, rigging question Doug Miller ASA 0 July 7th 03 10:34 PM