Jonathan Ganz

Default for those 95+ deg days

If Bobbie did that, he scare the tourists so bad that they'd
have to report him as a whale that had commandeered a
sail boat. Of course, since he doesn't sail, they'd just report
him as a fat buffoon.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
news
Okay... so why are all your photos showing people dressed in coats???? I
mean good gawd man... I sail in shorts and a tank top.... and that was

last
week.... even in the rain!

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| .... and so far for you, it's been cold and rainy..... there is justice
| after all! ;-D
|
| Temps yesterday topped 93. 100 expected today!
| The AC works great...looks like a brutal summer. The 12v fridge is

already
| proving to be far nicer than I expected...really a life saver on a hot
day.

| RB

Scout

do they have air conditioning?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote
If you really want to save money and sail, either go with
friends or charter.

Scout

Nap sounds good. But first I'll explain more Ole Thom. A tube in tube heat
exchanger replaced the air cooled condenser. In this device, hot refrigerant
vapor passes through a 5/16" O.D. tube, which has been sealed inside a 7/8"
O.D. tube. At both ends of the 7/8" tubing, access fittings were installed
to allow fresh water to flow through the 7/8" and outside the 5/16" tubing.
In doing so, picks up the heat for removal from the cabin. The refrigerant
compressor is the 2nd pump you seek. It moves the refrigerant through the
5/16". It leaves the compressor as a hot vapor and arrives at the expansion
device (capillary tube) as a sub-cooled, high pressure liquid.
A water pump moves the cool fresh water from the tube-in-tube condenser,
through hoses, to the 2nd heat exchanger, which is just a roll of 5/8" O.D.
copper tubing, which is dropped into the bay when the AC is used.
Otherwise, this 2nd heat exchanger is stored neatly away in a locker (the
22' of 5/8" tubing was shaped to fit in the locker). There is no condenser
fan needed, nor is there a need for the old air cooled condensing coil, so I
removed them. The indoor fan continues to work in the usual way, drawing
warm air through the evaporator where it is cooled and discharged through
the louvers.
Scout

"Thomas Stewart" wrote:
You leave a lot of questions.

Scout

"DS King" wrote
How do you get the evap & condensing temps? Very few AC units have that

kind
of instrumentation.

Doug,
the original unit is a $90 window shaker from Walmart. I
installed the pressure access ports after I removed the condensing coil. I
had to braze the refrigerant line into my tube-in-tube, and I needed a way
to purge with nitrogen while brazing, and then attach vacuum pump, and
finally, charge the unit. So I had refrigeration gauges on the system
during testing. I converted the pressures to saturated temps using the R-22
pressure temperature relationship charts. I also installed temperature
sensing wells at various points in the system, and inserted thermocouples in
them to get feedback. The superheat and subcooling values are calculated.
I actually measured the gpm by opening the loop and measuring the volume
against a stopwatch. The delta T on the water supported the actual gpm of
the closed loop.
After testing I removed all but an ammeter and a discharge air thermometer.

Also curious: how many feet of copper tubing in your secondary heat
exchanger?

about 22' I shaped it as a triangle for storage purposes, 18" per
side, about 5 rows deep. The delta T I referred to is in/out of exchangers.
The delta T for 'baywater' vs cooling water is about 10 degrees.
Scout

Jeff Morris

Also, being sealed up you don't have to listen to the assholes running their gensets.

"Scout" wrote in message
Final product readings at full load conditions:
GPM (of closed loop): 1.3
delta T (closed loop): 8 Fahr deg
Total rejected heat: 5,198 btu/h
Saturated evap temp: 45 deg Fahr
Superheat of suction gas: 12 deg
Saturated condensing temp: 105 deg Fahr
Liquid Subcooling: 10 deg
delta T (air) 19 Fahr deg
moisture removal: enough that I should probably take your advice and dump
overboard
ability to dodge Jersey mosquitos and get a good night's sleep: priceless

Scout

Scout

quid pro quo
makes up for all their motor noise during the day.
Scout

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
Also, being sealed up you don't have to listen to the assholes running

their gensets.

SAIL LOCO

Alien came with a Cruisair AC!!!

I had one. I traded it for something I could use while sailing.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

Alien came with a Cruisair AC!!!

I had one. I traded it for something I could use while sailing.

What do you have now?

RB
Thomas Stewart

Scout,

The mist is slowly rising, maybe? Are you still using the Freon system
with the Evap. and expansion valve? If so, Why the conversion?

A Confused,
Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

Depends on where you go. In the SF area, you don't
need AC. In BVI, Belize, and a lot of other warm climes,
the boats come with them.