Scout

Default for those 95+ deg days

Thom,
I'm using a basic window air conditioning unit, freon-22, capillary tube
instead of expansion valve.
The conversion to water cooled allowed me to use a cheap window unit without
hacking a hole in my cabin. I got the idea after getting a good look at
ground source heat pumps, which essentially get heat in the winter and dump
heat in the summer to ground water. I thought, I got plenty of water to do
that, and I don't even have to drill a well! If I get ambitious, I might
even add a reversing valve and extract heat from the bay to heat my cabin in
the Fall. But that's for another day.
Scout

"Thomas Stewart" wrote
The mist is slowly rising, maybe? Are you still using the Freon system
with the Evap. and expansion valve? If so, Why the conversion?
A Confused,
Ole Thom

Thomas Stewart

Scout,

Slow but finally!! (Comprehension!)

"I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Scout

3 Long Islands for me, right in a row please! : )

"Thomas Stewart" wrote
Scout,
Slow but finally!! (Comprehension!)
"I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"
Ole Thom

DS King

Scout wrote:

the original unit is a $90 window shaker from Walmart. I
installed the pressure access ports after I removed the condensing coil. I
had to braze the refrigerant line into my tube-in-tube, and I needed a way
to purge with nitrogen while brazing, and then attach vacuum pump, and
finally, charge the unit. So I had refrigeration gauges on the system
during testing. I converted the pressures to saturated temps using the R-22
pressure temperature relationship charts. I also installed temperature
sensing wells at various points in the system, and inserted thermocouples in
them to get feedback.

Wow, that's a lot of work. What do you reckon your time is worth?

The superheat and subcooling values are calculated.

You have to know pressure & temp at two points in the system, and the total
weight of the charge.

After that you
can calculate anything. Without that, no calculation provides any useful data.
Usually output temp, weight of charge,
and watts are the only data.

The delta T I referred to is in/out of exchangers.
The delta T for 'baywater' vs cooling water is about 10 degrees.

Sounds like you are well above the average shade tree mechanic. Can you fix
turbine driven machinery? If so, please consider moving to NC... I want to hire
somebody to do my job so I can retire!

DSK

Capt. Mooron

Great post on the Reefer.... but real Sailors Drink Rum!

CM

"Scout" wrote in message
| 3 Long Islands for me, right in a row please! : )
|
| "Thomas Stewart" wrote
| Scout,
| Slow but finally!! (Comprehension!)
| "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"
| Ole Thom

Scott Vernon

My boat's docked in Middle River, Baltimore. You?
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Scout" wrote in message
Scott, where in PA do you live? and where do you sail?
I'm in Bucks County.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
is that a 150% ?

"Scout" wrote

nice on my Honda EU2000 genny.

Scott Vernon

"DS King" wrote

... Condensate dumps to bilge

Bad idea. Run it overboard. Fresh water draining into the bilge will

promote
mildew very quickly and make the boat swampy & dank. What's the point of

AC
then?

Apparently that's what some power boats do, they have water running out
constantly at my marina , makes me go potty during the night.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

Scott Vernon

sailing?

"Bobsprit" wrote ...

Actually tried it Monday for the 1st time.

RB

Scott Vernon

daysailor.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Where are you going? I am making a run down to Atlantic City for a

weekend of
blackjack and craps (no, not that kind).

I have a lot of people coming sailing this weekend....as the weather is

nice.
I'm taking my parents out Saturday, friends out on Sunday. Tomorrow and

Friday
are night sails where I'll set up the reefing and practice with the

spinnaker.
I wish we could do even a small trip, but it's not to be for the moment.

RB

Scout

Beach Haven, N.J. About midway between Atlantic City and Barnegat Inlet.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote