BoatBanter.com

-   -   for those 95+ deg days (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16116-re-those-95-deg-days.html)

Jonathan Ganz June 25th 03 04:00 AM

for those 95+ deg days

You could just go sailing and save yourself $250.

"Scout" wrote in message
Just finished customizing a 5200 btu GE window AC unit to work
in my sailboat.
Cut out the condenser and fan, fabricated a tube in tube heat exchanger,
sweated some hose fittings onto a coil of 5/8" tubing, connected the two
heat
exchangers with a small circulating pump (Taco 007) and some HD garden
hoses,
charge the closed loop with fresh water, throw the 5/8" coil over the side
(into the bay - once anchored), and I got me a water cooled window unit

that
fits snug in a
cabinet in my boat. Condensate dumps to bilge. Pulls 4.5 amps and runs
nice on my Honda EU2000 genny. Total cost about $250 and it works like a
charm!
Scout

Horvath June 25th 03 06:05 AM

for those 95+ deg days

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:37:07 -0400, "Scout"
wrote this crap:

Just finished customizing a 5200 btu GE window AC unit to work
in my sailboat.
Cut out the condenser and fan, fabricated a tube in tube heat exchanger,
sweated some hose fittings onto a coil of 5/8" tubing, connected the two
heat
exchangers with a small circulating pump (Taco 007) and some HD garden
hoses,
charge the closed loop with fresh water, throw the 5/8" coil over the side
(into the bay - once anchored), and I got me a water cooled window unit that
fits snug in a
cabinet in my boat. Condensate dumps to bilge. Pulls 4.5 amps and runs
nice on my Honda EU2000 genny. Total cost about $250 and it works like a
charm!
Scout

If it's too hot on the boat, I go into the yacht club, and take a seat
in the air-conditioned bar.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Scott Vernon June 25th 03 11:48 AM

for those 95+ deg days

is that a 150% ?

"Scout" wrote

nice on my Honda EU2000 genny.

Bobsprit June 25th 03 01:07 PM

for those 95+ deg days

Alien came with a Cruisair AC!!!

Whoo hoooo!

RB

Scout June 25th 03 01:31 PM

for those 95+ deg days

Scott, where in PA do you live? and where do you sail?
I'm in Bucks County.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
is that a 150% ?

"Scout" wrote

nice on my Honda EU2000 genny.

DS King June 25th 03 01:44 PM

for those 95+ deg days

Scout wrote:

charge the closed loop with fresh water, throw the 5/8" coil over the side
(into the bay - once anchored), and I got me a water cooled window unit

Smaller diameter tubing would be more efficient. Did you calculate how much
surface area of the immersed tubing you'd need to shed 5200 BTU? I suspect that
you're either toting a huge mass of 5/8" tubing or else your unit will be rather
ineffective once the fresh water starts heating up.

Although that first blast of cool air is *really* nice.....

... Condensate dumps to bilge

Bad idea. Run it overboard. Fresh water draining into the bilge will promote
mildew very quickly and make the boat swampy & dank. What's the point of AC
then?

Besides, air conditioning is for Yankees and wimps.

DSK

Capt. Mooron June 25th 03 01:45 PM

for those 95+ deg days

..... and so far for you, it's been cold and rainy..... there is justice
after all! ;-D

CM

Bobsprit June 25th 03 01:49 PM

for those 95+ deg days

..... and so far for you, it's been cold and rainy..... there is justice
after all! ;-D

Temps yesterday topped 93. 100 expected today!
The AC works great...looks like a brutal summer. The 12v fridge is already
proving to be far nicer than I expected...really a life saver on a hot day.

RB