Jonathan Ganz

Default for those 95+ deg days

You could just go sailing and save yourself $250.

"Scout" wrote in message
Just finished customizing a 5200 btu GE window AC unit to work
in my sailboat.
Cut out the condenser and fan, fabricated a tube in tube heat exchanger,
sweated some hose fittings onto a coil of 5/8" tubing, connected the two
heat
exchangers with a small circulating pump (Taco 007) and some HD garden
hoses,
charge the closed loop with fresh water, throw the 5/8" coil over the side
(into the bay - once anchored), and I got me a water cooled window unit

that
fits snug in a
cabinet in my boat. Condensate dumps to bilge. Pulls 4.5 amps and runs
nice on my Honda EU2000 genny. Total cost about $250 and it works like a
charm!
Scout

Horvath

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:37:07 -0400, "Scout"
wrote this crap:

Just finished customizing a 5200 btu GE window AC unit to work
in my sailboat.
Cut out the condenser and fan, fabricated a tube in tube heat exchanger,
sweated some hose fittings onto a coil of 5/8" tubing, connected the two
heat
exchangers with a small circulating pump (Taco 007) and some HD garden
hoses,
charge the closed loop with fresh water, throw the 5/8" coil over the side
(into the bay - once anchored), and I got me a water cooled window unit that
fits snug in a
cabinet in my boat. Condensate dumps to bilge. Pulls 4.5 amps and runs
nice on my Honda EU2000 genny. Total cost about $250 and it works like a
charm!
Scout

If it's too hot on the boat, I go into the yacht club, and take a seat
in the air-conditioned bar.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Scott Vernon

is that a 150% ?

"Scout" wrote

nice on my Honda EU2000 genny.

Bobsprit

Alien came with a Cruisair AC!!!

Whoo hoooo!

RB
Scout

Scott, where in PA do you live? and where do you sail?
I'm in Bucks County.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
is that a 150% ?

"Scout" wrote

nice on my Honda EU2000 genny.

DS King

Scout wrote:

charge the closed loop with fresh water, throw the 5/8" coil over the side
(into the bay - once anchored), and I got me a water cooled window unit

Smaller diameter tubing would be more efficient. Did you calculate how much
surface area of the immersed tubing you'd need to shed 5200 BTU? I suspect that
you're either toting a huge mass of 5/8" tubing or else your unit will be rather
ineffective once the fresh water starts heating up.

Although that first blast of cool air is *really* nice.....

... Condensate dumps to bilge

Bad idea. Run it overboard. Fresh water draining into the bilge will promote
mildew very quickly and make the boat swampy & dank. What's the point of AC
then?

Besides, air conditioning is for Yankees and wimps.

DSK

Capt. Mooron

..... and so far for you, it's been cold and rainy..... there is justice
after all! ;-D

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Alien came with a Cruisair AC!!!
|
| Whoo hoooo!
|
| RB

Bobsprit

..... and so far for you, it's been cold and rainy..... there is justice
after all! ;-D

Temps yesterday topped 93. 100 expected today!
The AC works great...looks like a brutal summer. The 12v fridge is already
proving to be far nicer than I expected...really a life saver on a hot day.

RB