Scout

Default for those 95+ deg days

Always liked "to kill a mockingbird" so I borrowed the name Scout from one
of the characters. I actually sat next to Gregory Peck in the Bristol
Theater when he came to see his daughter in a play there; he was always one
of my favorites.
I sail the bays mostly, sometimes like to overnight in some great, secluded
places on the Mullica or Bass rivers. I've taken my boat out in the ocean,
but it seems a bit too small (19' Starwind) for coastal sailing. I got
tossed around pretty much, especially in the inlet. We always had a cabin
cruiser when I was growing up, so it feels like I should be out there in the
ocean, but I think I will hold off until I have a bigger boat. And, relative
to the experience in this group, I'm a newbie sailor; I'm trying to
transition from power to sail, so I am still learning the ropes, literally.
I'm really loving it though. This is my third year without a couple of big
Chrysler marines under me, and I'm loving the peace and quiet of it all.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Do you sail in Little Egg Harbor, or strictly in the ocean? Yeah, that

dump
is nasty!

Why 'Scout'

Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Scout" wrote in message
Yep, I've sailed the Delaware several times. It sucks. Between the

speed
boats, PWCers, narrow channels, big ships, strong tides, inconsistent

and
swirling winds, and of course, that gd dump, there's no ahhhh's to be

found.
I'm sticking with salt water!
Scout.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Did you know they bring ships up to Penn Channel to load/unload at the

old
Fairless Works?
Tulleytown, what a dump!
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Scout" wrote in message
Small world! I've lived in in Levittown for the past 47 years.
Scout

"Thomas Stewart" wrote in message
Scout,

I lived in Bucks County for seventeen years. Bristol, Pa

(Levittown)

Worked for Atlantic refining Co. Drove New Jersey Rte 130 for

years.

Transfered to Bellingham, Wa in 1969.
Ole Thom

Scott Vernon

"Scout" wrote...
I sail the bays mostly, sometimes like to overnight in some great,

secluded
places on the Mullica or Bass rivers. I've taken my boat out in the

ocean,
but it seems a bit too small (19' Starwind) for coastal sailing. I got
tossed around pretty much, especially in the inlet.

Oh, I thought you had a 27', it's hard to keep track of boats here.

I'm a newbie sailor; I'm trying to
transition from power to sail, so I am still learning the ropes,

Oh, one of those. Well, there's another 'one of those' here on the group, I
think it's been about 3 years now and he still has no clue how to sail.
Course he started at a disadvantage, he's a foreigner. You should be out
sailing him in 3-4 weeks. Good luck.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

Oh, one of those. Well, there's another 'one of those' here on the group,

think it's been about 3 years now and he still has no clue how to sail.
Course he started at a disadvantage, he's a foreigner. You should be out
sailing him in 3-4 weeks. Good luck.

Saying that the other one is a foreigner doesn't narrow the field much, does
it? Apart from me, everybody here is a foreigner.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
only one.

SV

"Donal" wrote

I thought that you had a proper heads on your boat?

So why do you use a potty?

BTW, over here "heads" is singular.

Regards

Donal

DS King

Scout wrote:

.... I've taken my boat out in the ocean,
but it seems a bit too small (19' Starwind) for coastal sailing.

The Starwind 19 is a nice little boat. I have several friends with them.

I got
tossed around pretty much, especially in the inlet.

Inlets are the worst places. Usually once you clear the inlet, it's smoother
sailing. Picking the right time is important when running inlets.

We always had a cabin
cruiser when I was growing up, so it feels like I should be out there in the
ocean, but I think I will hold off until I have a bigger boat.

Shucks, people have circumnavigated in boats that were smaller & less capable
than a Starwind 19! I'm not saying that to push you, just that in this (as in
almost every) case, the boat can withstand more than the sailor(s) can.

And, relative
to the experience in this group, I'm a newbie sailor;

40+ years and still learning. That's one of the attractive things about the
sport IMHO.

Fresh Breezes
Doug King

Scout