Jasmine Waters

Hi Charlie,

I see you've had plenty of advice but trust me you're not the only one
in your boat (could come as a surprise as I don't think there's usually
space for more than one in an I:3)!! Most of us female paddlers have
very similar problems with kit. It's the problem with doing a sport
that has been male dominated for so many years & it's only in relatively
recent times that more women have been getting involved!

Much of the advice is sound but as many say it's much down to personal
preference. I've been trying to find a new BA of late - it's a
minefield. Palm amongst others have had pretty poor IMO attempts as
making some female BA's - I still can't been my Palm Fusion for comfort
& fit. Quite a few of the other females I paddle with got these after
trying mine & love their's too so it's definately worth a look. There
are some new ones on the market this year which may be better but I'm
yet to be convinced!

As for cags - very much personal preference. I use reed chillcheater
which someone else mentioned - more than anything 'cos they will make to
measure - I had one with a shorter body & arms & narrower waist than
their standard off the shelf ones at no extra cost & made within a week!
They're definatley more comfy IMO but probably in all honesty not quite
so durable as other materials - just don't scramble through any thorn
bushes!!!! Also highly recommend their after sales service (note the
thorn bush!). Other advice you've had here is good too on that though.

A Paddle - I appreciate people are trying to stop you from making an
expensive & inappropriate purchase here. You could buy cheap to get by
initially, however - if you're really enjoying this sport & wanting to
stay with it, bear in mind this is the tool of your trade. The paddle
has to be an extention of you. You MUST feel comfortable with it, I
think this is somewhere you shouldn't skimp too much (I'm not saying go
buy the top model, just don't buy anything that's too cheap). You'll
probably be looking around a 191 - 194cm length (I'm 5'3" & use 194),
you say you're not comfortable with a 60 feather - try others. Everyone
used to use 90's but most of us are moving to less feather as this puts
much less strain on the wrists - after years of paddling with 90's
you're far more likely to suffer tendonitis & the like. Many people now
paddle with 45's. You're obviously paddling with a club - ask to borrow
everyone's paddles & give them a good 20 minutes paddling each (& longer
if you can). Bear in mind cheaper paddles are heavier & more rigid so
harder work to lift & you get a lot less feel from the water. This is
why often lighter (often more expensive) paddles feel more wierd at
first - all of a sudden you're getting so much more feedback & you don't
know how to inturpret this - however it'll be a godsend later in your
paddling!!!

Think I've gone on long enough!
Good luck with all the purchases & hope it all goes well. (ps the yak
helmets are good)!!! ;-)
Jasmine

Charlie wrote:

I'm going off to buy most of my kit next week (at Eddy Lines if you live in
the Welsh sticks like me!) and was after some recommendations. Basically I
need:

A cag (I'm thinking semi dry, I don't like being wet, and I fall in alot!)

A buoyancy aid (How much buoyancy should I get? Should I go for one with a
harness? Is it a case of the more you spend, the more change it will have
of saving your life?)

A paddle (I've been borrowing the clubs basic ones. What feather should I
get if I want to do basic whitewater and basic surf? Also, does my height
affect the length of the shaft? I'm 5ft tall!)

A deck (First neoprene! I've seen one with a yellow knee strap, is this a
good idea? Or should I go for the pyrahna one to match my boat? If I've
got an I:3 221 so I need a keyhole deck?)

A helmet (I like the Yak one, this is what loads of the guys I paddle with
use, and it fits me well. Anyone know a site with the price better than
£35?)

I think that's it! Yell if I've left anything out. I'm looking for general
advise about purchasing, but also if there are any ladies out there with kit
that they think works really well for them, could they post too?
Pleeeeeeeeease? I find some of the men's kit really uncomfortable,
especially the buoyancy aids!

Charlie.

Peter Clinch

Jasmine Waters wrote:

A Paddle - I appreciate people are trying to stop you from making an
expensive & inappropriate purchase here. You could buy cheap to get by
initially, however - if you're really enjoying this sport & wanting to
stay with it, bear in mind this is the tool of your trade. The paddle
has to be an extention of you. You MUST feel comfortable with it, I
think this is somewhere you shouldn't skimp too much (I'm not saying go
buy the top model, just don't buy anything that's too cheap).

Agreed, though I'll note that a friend with decades of experience is
just in the process of replacing his sea paddle, and despite the decades
of experience still isn't completely sure what he wants...

I agree with Jasmine not to buy any old thing, but a basic "economy"
paddle from e.g. Lendal[1] (say, Polypro Logiks on an economy glass
shaft) is still a decent paddle, and probably much better than a noname
thing. It's a damn site cheaper than their top models though!

Pete.

[1] I use Lendal for examples because I'm personally familiar with them
and have found their kit does for me. Beyond that, it's not a
particular recommendation over other paddles, and they're certainly not
the only game in town.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Ewan Scott

First, tired paddler or spare boat on flat water. This is what the towing
belt systems are for.

Second - recovering a lost boat to the bank in whitewater. Don't use a
towing belt or cows tail here, as there won't be enough pull for the quick
release to work properly, but there will be enough to get you into

trouble.
This is where you use the sling over the shoulder, as you can release
easily, without missing more than two paddle strokes. As it's only a short
distance/time, comfort isn't important, safety is.

Good point.

Ewan Scott

Charlie

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
My first wetsuit was for sailing and had a separate long sleeve top and
trousers. Trying out paddling I dug it out of the attic and gave it a
try... and it was soon evident that although the trousers would be fine,
the top was far more trouble than it was worth. Far too much resistance
to arm movement.

I'm definatly going to get one, I'm going to do a bit of surfing this summer
(I know, I'm evil! It's just the perfect conditions for it around here in
mid wales!). I'll try it out for paddling but Ill proberbly end up not
using it for that. Saying all this though, my friend loves her long sleeve
wet suit for paddling, perhaps hers fits well? I don't know, I'm just
theorising!

That's pretty low compared to typical WW use, which tends to be 80+.
Not that that means you should use 80+, but I'd be surprised if there
isn't a higher feather paddle you could borrow for an hour or so and
decide what you prefer. Punching out into a wind blowing on to shore (a
very typical surfing environment) can be a bit more of a hack with low
feathers.

I started off with a 90deg and just couldn't get on with it. Too much
movement in the wrists for me. I'm going to try a 45 next week and see what
I like best from the three. I'll proberbly go with a 60 though for now. I
can always flog it to someone else in the club!

That suggests you use rucksacks for cycling, which is usually a
/horrible/ idea. Get a rack on the bike and either bungee a drybag to
it, or see if something like an Ortlieb rolltop waterproof pannier will
fit in the boat. I doubt the 20l rear rollers would fit, but the
universals might well manage to tuck in behind the seat.
Why carry weight on your back when you've a perfectly good weight
bearing bike frame to do it for you? If the boat is based where you're
paddling think about a trailer for the bike, which will easily take all
your paddling kit.

I keep the boat in the club shed so it gets slung on the trailer and meets
me whereever we're going! As for the bike, well, I mountain bike and I
don't fancy taking panniers on and off everytime I use it! Much easier to
use a rucksack. Especially if you have a nice climbing one with a padded
back. I figured I would just get a dry bag to fit inside it to make things
easier.

Once again, ta for the advise!

Charlie.

Charlie

"Jasmine Waters" wrote in message

I see you've had plenty of advice but trust me you're not the only one
in your boat (could come as a surprise as I don't think there's usually
space for more than one in an I:3)!! Most of us female paddlers have
very similar problems with kit. It's the problem with doing a sport
that has been male dominated for so many years & it's only in relatively
recent times that more women have been getting involved!

I'm definaly feeling that particular vibe. I've been trying on some
paddling trousers and they're all about a foot too long! You can tell that
they're designed by men because even the ladies ones are far too long! I
reckon I'm going to have to have the trousers custom made.

I've been trying to find a new BA of late - it's a
minefield. Palm amongst others have had pretty poor IMO attempts as
making some female BA's - I still can't been my Palm Fusion for comfort
& fit.

Write, I'll make sure they show me that one. Nice colour too.
(Should I be worried about that?) I really hate the way that companies only
seem to make ladies gear in biks and pale blues. Dammit, I want manly
colours to match my nice red boat! (Only a woman could say that, right?)

As for cags - very much personal preference. I use reed chillcheater
which someone else mentioned - more than anything 'cos they will make to
measure - I had one with a shorter body & arms & narrower waist than
their standard off the shelf ones at no extra cost & made within a week!

If I don't find one I like when I go shopping I'll proberbly consider this.
It's a really good idea for the companies to custom fit items.

(ps the yak helmets are good)!!! ;-)

I bought one after a reccomendation from a bloke in the club actually. I
just had to take his advice, he's rather good looking!

Ta for the advise!

Chalrie.

Jasmine

Peter Clinch

Charlie wrote:

I keep the boat in the club shed so it gets slung on the trailer and meets
me whereever we're going! As for the bike, well, I mountain bike and I
don't fancy taking panniers on and off everytime I use it! Much easier to
use a rucksack.

No.
Ortlieb pannier attachment: pick up pannier (picking up releases the
rack security catches). Put pannier on rack (letting go engages rack
security catches). To remove, reverse process (i.e., pick up and put down).

Especially if you have a nice climbing one with a padded
back.

I have a selection, and a nice mountain running pack too. And they
still *suck* on the bike compared to panniers. Really. I use the
panniers on my MTB as well, and unless you're doing really daft things
they're not really any trouble. I do use a pack on the MTB at times,
and when I do the rack is no trouble (in fact it keeps the rear mudguard
in a more useful place to stop me being showered in cack). Unless you
have rear suspension putting a rack on an MTB improves its utility, as
you can cycle long distances cross country without a weight on your
shoulders.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Two things.
If you are a newbie I would not put a tow rope on deck or around your
waste. You may be advertising a skill you are not ready to practice in
moving or tormented water yet. You need the rope but stowing it away
may be the best idea for now.

The feather on the paddle for white water is normally very small. often
flat it would likely be 10 perhaps 30 degrees. a sea paddle will be
longer 220 CM for me at 5'8" and my feathere angle is about 60 or 70
degrees for the sea. When in white water I try to borrow a shorter
paddle with little or no feather.
I use my junky WW paddle or a sea paddle when on the river. not the
best.

Ewan Scott

The feather on the paddle for white water is normally very small. often
flat it would likely be 10 perhaps 30 degrees. a sea paddle will be
longer 220 CM for me at 5'8" and my feathere angle is about 60 or 70
degrees for the sea. When in white water I try to borrow a shorter
paddle with little or no feather.

Can you clarify?

Amongst the group that we paddle with all the paddles are 90 degree through
to 45 degree, one or two 30 degree, but I can't think of any who paddle with
flat paddles - ie with no feather at all - there are some at the pool we
use, but three of the kayak groups I know who use the same pool all bring
their own paddles with either 45 or 90 degree blades.

Not looking for an argument, just not clear as to what you are saying
because it doesn't match what I see locally.

Ewan Scott

Charlie

I went, I tried on and I bought! A Palm SideWinder cag (I know it was
expensive, but it fitted so well!), a Palm RiverTec BA (Again, cost quite a
bit but fitted really well, I found that the ladies version didn't fit well,
although it had my chest size on it, it was just too tight, even over just a
thin jumper) and a Nookie Delta shock deck. I left the paddle for now, I'll
be borrowing club kit still for a while! I'm all kitted out!

Charlie.

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Kallistos: Contemporary Jewellery Design
http://www.kallistos.co.uk
eBay: http://kallistos.notlong.com

Peter Clinch

Ewan Scott wrote:

Amongst the group that we paddle with all the paddles are 90 degree through
to 45 degree, one or two 30 degree, but I can't think of any who paddle with
flat paddles - ie with no feather at all

I've got a variable feather paddle for sea kayaking: I use it flat
if there's a following wind or no wind, and into the wind will set
it at about 70, or a bit less (back towards 60) if there's not too
much of a blow.

Traditional Greenland paddles are all flat, but OTOH they're much
narrower than typical modern paddles so it's less of an issue.

My river/surf paddle is 67. I do like paddling flat for the sake
of my wrists but in surf it's hard enough banging out through
breakers in a wee boat to start with, adding extra wind resistance
when the wind is almost always blowing on to the shore is just
adding salt to the wound!

Pete.

Ladies and Gents.... Overproof ASA 18 December 16th 04 02:38 AM
Praise the Good Folk at Landover! Amen! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 14th 04 09:51 PM
Canoepolo Birthday Calendars for sale with Dutch Ladies' Canoepolo Squad Michiel Verhoef General 1 February 5th 04 05:35 PM
13' Boat Reccomendations frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:46 PM
Ladies and Gent...prepare! Bobsprit ASA 6 July 30th 03 04:25 AM