Charlie

Default Ladies Kit reccomendations

I'm going off to buy most of my kit next week (at Eddy Lines if you live in
the Welsh sticks like me!) and was after some recommendations. Basically I
need:

A cag (I'm thinking semi dry, I don't like being wet, and I fall in alot!)

A buoyancy aid (How much buoyancy should I get? Should I go for one with a
harness? Is it a case of the more you spend, the more change it will have
of saving your life?)

A paddle (I've been borrowing the clubs basic ones. What feather should I
get if I want to do basic whitewater and basic surf? Also, does my height
affect the length of the shaft? I'm 5ft tall!)

A deck (First neoprene! I've seen one with a yellow knee strap, is this a
good idea? Or should I go for the pyrahna one to match my boat? If I've
got an I:3 221 so I need a keyhole deck?)

A helmet (I like the Yak one, this is what loads of the guys I paddle with
use, and it fits me well. Anyone know a site with the price better than
£35?)

I think that's it! Yell if I've left anything out. I'm looking for general
advise about purchasing, but also if there are any ladies out there with kit
that they think works really well for them, could they post too?
Pleeeeeeeeease? I find some of the men's kit really uncomfortable,
especially the buoyancy aids!

Charlie.

--
Kallistos: Contemporary Jewellery Design
http://www.kallistos.co.uk

Peter Clinch

Charlie wrote:

Caveats first, I'm mainly a tourer rather than WW, though I do do some
WW and surf. And I'm not an Expert, so bear that in mind and don't take
it as anything like Final Word.

A cag (I'm thinking semi dry, I don't like being wet, and I fall in alot!)

Things I look for in a cag... primarily, does the cut allow me full arm
movement with relative comfort? Sit in a boat with it on and have a
good stretch with a paddle in your hands. I don't see any reason not to
get a twin waisted one as they keep out the water better. I prefer less
elaborate cuff and neck seals for touring, but in whitewater I'm very
happy to borrow a pal's with dry seals, as WW is not about comfort to
anything like the same extent as sea touring!

A buoyancy aid (How much buoyancy should I get? Should I go for one with a
harness? Is it a case of the more you spend, the more change it will have
of saving your life?)

Not really to any significant degree, I'd think: anything you get is
likely to keep you afloat, the differences in price are more about extra
whistles and bells. I really value pockets, but OTOH I'm a tourer who
only does the occasional WW trip. You can do without a harness unless
you're likely to be towing people out of stuff: not too likely if you're
just getting started, and BAs don't last forever so you can worry about
a harness when you need one. Most important thing is comfort: like the
cag, try stuff on sat in a boat and see how free they leave you to move
as you want.

A paddle (I've been borrowing the clubs basic ones. What feather should I
get if I want to do basic whitewater and basic surf? Also, does my height
affect the length of the shaft? I'm 5ft tall!)

Major can of worms, and specific advice of exactly what to get is
probably unhelpful... As well as feather you've got blade shape and
materials of the blades and shaft.

Paddle length will relate to height indirectly, as it's more about
leverage, so where you hold the shaft and your paddling style. Lendal's
website has some guide figures, suggesting typical ranges for
disciplines. Surfing they have 185-195, rodeo 195-204 and river 200-208.

Stiffer shafts allow more efficient paddling, but are more fatiguing to
use over a day. Strength of the shaft can be increased by throwing
money at it, but even the basic glass shafts are pretty strong.

For surf an asymmetric blade may well get you accelerating better, which
is handy, but OTOH that's probably less useful than a fuller blade in WW
control strokes, so you choose, you lose...

Blade material is something where you throw money at it to get something
lighter and/or stronger. Stronger and lighter are both better, but
you're talking a lot of money for a full monty set of blades.

Feather is down to personal preference to quite a degree. Lighter
feathers mean a bit less work for your control wrist but a bit more air
resistance to pushing the blade ahead, and rolling on the non-control
side takes a bit or re-acquaintance. If you're happy with the paddles
you've borrowed, get something the same. If you find your control wrist
is suffering a bit, maybe try something a little lower, though if you
can borrow some alternatives and try them before you make up your mind
that might be a cunning plan.

Don't despair if that seems like a lot, as if you get a cheapish pair
they should still be fine for getting going and can be a spare in
future. If you've got a Lendal shaft you can get a Paddlok centre join
and just relegate them to use as emergency splits in the future, once
you've decided what you /really/ want. Another nice thing about the
Paddlok setup is you can easily change blades in future (I started off
with cheap(der) polypro blades and upgraded to carbon/nylon without
having to change the shaft, and bought an "empty" shaft to use the old
blades on as splits).

I think that's it! Yell if I've left anything out.

You may wish to add a throwbag and some sort of footwear. And a thermos
flask!

I'm looking for general advise about purchasing

Bottom line is Try It On.
Beware anyone saying you Must Get Brand X Model Z. It might suit /them/
perfectly, but that doesn't mean it will suit you. This is especially
true of fit to body. On a similar line, further note that although
women are different shapes from men, women are also different shapes to
other women: "Women's Design" is not /necessarily/ better for you than
"Unisex", though it may well be, which gets us back to Try It On, which
is where we came in.

Happy shopping!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

You asked about a BA ( we call them PFD's) Your challenge is to get a
very comfortable one that gives you a full range of movement. They will
all get you up for a breath: IF THEY FIT!
Good strong shoulder straps are a must for possible rescues. In The
Hand of God rescue or simply a helping hand dragging you back into your
boat, your rescuer should be able to grasp good stout webbing on your
shoulders to do it. This saves misunderstandings.
A good BA or PFD is likely going to cost a bit. Mine is about $200.00
Canadian about 80 quid.
You won't need a tow harness.
I trust the boat has added boyancy ( air bags ) to displace water..
I am mostly a sea kayaker but like the last poster do a little WW.
That BA has to fit and be comfortable, That to me is one of the most
important things.
( of course I can't swim)....
Have fun. this is a great dsport.
When you get old we will steal you away to sea kayaking.

Charlie

Thanks for the advice guys. so far I've only really done kayaking on the
Marina where I live, out on the sea from there and down in Gower (best surf
in the UK apparently!). I've had my boat since last summer (It's an I:3)
and bought it on a bit of a whim! I've got my first taste of proper white
water coming up soon at Llanysul and I can't wait! This is why I want the
kit. And yes, my boat has air bags, I wouldn't be allowed to paddle with
the club if it didn't, and I don't fancy the idea of emptying out a whole
boat when I go over!

Are the low cut PFD's generally better? They look like they should be, and
they're generally much more expensive. They look like the offer a really
good range of movement around the shoulder and core. It's one thing I don't
want to skimp on, I'd rather pay more money for something I may never need,
but could one day save my life if it's up to scratch. Of course, at the
back my my head, I realise that a company wouldn't sell a PFD labelled for
whitewater that wouldn't be able to pull you out of a tricky situation!

Anyway, I'm going to be heading off to the pool for a rolling clinic (still
can't get it!) so I'll love you and leave you!

Charlie.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ewan Scott

"Charlie" wrote in message
I'm going off to buy most of my kit next week (at Eddy Lines if you live

in
the Welsh sticks like me!) and was after some recommendations. Basically

need:

I can't tell you what kit YOU need, but basics for WW - if you are keen.

Sleeveless Long John Wetsuit £about £55 for a 3mm suit.
Wetsuit boots.
Dry Cag of some sort - that is rubber seals on neck and wrists, and a double
seal for the spraydeck. I use a reed Chill Cheater whict I think is ace, my
son hates his with a vengeance though - each to their own. Make sure you
have room to move in it.
BA - enough to carry your weight, pocket on the front for odds and sods - I
carry a mars bar - wrappers are waterproof! - A piece of fruit, and a small
garlic sausage - as I say, each to their own. It also has a clasp to attach
keys. Get one that is comfortable, don't worry too much about the harness
you'll only really need it if you are doing whitewater rescue - time enough
for that later. BTW - if you set it up too tight at the start of paddling,
by the time you have done 500 yards you will need to slacken it off as you
are starting to take deeper breaths. My wife has a BA that I can use and
vice versa - Unless you are a Jordan, I doubt that there is any real
difference between BA's BTW, she doesn't wear support when paddling, if you
know what I mean.
Paddles, get what you are comfortable with. It might be right, it might not.
Don't be persuaded by anyone who has just spent £150 on a paddle that theirs
would be the best for you. Very few people who spend money on kit will admit
it is crap, and anyway, what is good for them may not be good for you.
What else might you need... Dry bags - forget BDAs, they are too rigid, use
soft nylon drybags - we all have a medium for clothes and a small for
emergency kit.
A survival bag - one of those orange poly ones, don't open it, fold it flat
and duck tape it to the inside of your boat - it is for emergency use only.
If your club/ instructor want you to play silly sods on emergency exercises
get another one to play with. Keeping your original taped to your boat means
you will have it when you need it.
Helmet - one that fits and you are comfortable with - avoid peaks and face
guards - at this stage :-)
Throw bag - 15 metres.
Bouyancy bags for your boat.
Tow line - if you buy one get an elasticated one - it is far easier to tow
with than the non elasticated type - also, make sure there is a small metal
crab on the end rather than a plastic clip.
A sling and a crab for hauling your boat up and down embankments. We have a
2m sling and a self locking crab - if you can find a piece of cork thread
the sling theough the cork in case you drop it in the water.
Flask
Cold drinks flask
Bungee cord to provide strap in boat to hold your water bottle so that you
can always have a drink when you need one.
Spray deck that fits quite tightly, neoprene is best. - tip, you can run
silicone sealant under the lip of the cockpit to make a better seal - but it
does come undone - you can also seal all screwheads the same way.

Emergency kit - buy a spare bung for your boat and find some plastic sealant
of some sort to carry with you. Plus all the FA kit you will need - don't
forget you own personal medication - you might not be able to give someone
else codiene, but you can give it to yourself if you need it.

You might also add paddle mits - now, here is a bit of advice I give my
beginners - DO NOT WEAR GLOVES or MITS that enclose your hands. Buy neoprene
mits with open palms so that you can feel the paddle. - you can flip then on
and off your hands as required. Pogies are old hat... I hate them - okay, so
you should never let your paddle go, but if you are attched by way of
pogies... again, personal preferences.

I know you asked for a female perspective but there are five of us paddle
and the only kit that really varies between us is the boat, the rest is
interchangeable - except we tend to hang onto our own paddles.

Ewan Scott

Peter Clinch

Ewan Scott wrote:

Paddles, get what you are comfortable with. It might be right, it might=

not.
Don't be persuaded by anyone who has just spent =A3150 on a paddle that=

theirs
would be the best for you.=20

Unless they persuade you by lending it to you for a while and you can=20
compare to alternatives, that is! But even then, wait until you know=20
what you're really up to before letting yourself be persuaded by a=20
trial. Trying out for function is only really useful if you appreciate=20
what the function is meant to be like.
For starters a basic paddle should be fine and do all you need: worry=20
about your Dream Paddle later.

A survival bag - one of those orange poly ones, don't open it, fold it =

flat
and duck tape it to the inside of your boat - it is for emergency use o=

nly.

The Blizzard Packs available from=20
http://www.blizzardprotectionsystems.com/ are better, though they're =A32=
5=20
rather than =A32.50. It's about the same insulation value as a 2 season =

sleeping bag, is wind and waterproof and packs into a vacuum sealed pack =

about the size of a video cassette. We were just recommended them by=20
the club training officers, who used one "in anger" on a client on a ski =

tour recently. They were most impressed, and said you might as well=20
chuck your old orange ones away.

If your club/ instructor want you to play silly sods on emergency exerc=

ises
get another one to play with. Keeping your original taped to your boat =

means
you will have it when you need it.

The Blizzard Pack is about the size of video cassette in its vacuum=20
pack, but doesn't go back that small! The company offer a repacking=20
service, but you don't want to take them out unless you need them, and=20
at =A325 a throw I'd stick to a spare poly bag for any such silly soddism=
=20
as Ewan suggests.

A sling and a crab for hauling your boat up and down embankments. We ha=

ve a
2m sling and a self locking crab - if you can find a piece of cork thre=

ad
the sling theough the cork in case you drop it in the water.

This reminds me... some tape to make grab slings for the boy and stern=20
of the boat makes it easier to haul out of surf etc.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch

Charlie wrote:

Are the low cut PFD's generally better?

Hmmmmm... define "better"...

They look like they should be, and
they're generally much more expensive. They look like the offer a really
good range of movement around the shoulder and core. It's one thing I don't
want to skimp on, I'd rather pay more money for something I may never need,
but could one day save my life if it's up to scratch.

It's the floatation that will do the life saving, and if it didn't keep
you afloat they wouldn't be able to get them on the market legally.
Beyond that the movement potential is best assessed by trying it on
while sat in a boat and holding a paddle. Won't be the same in the shop
as on the water, but it's much better than looking at pictures and
assuming more money == better design. If it doesn't allow comfortable
paddling action it'll **** you off with every stroke, but if a cheaper
design isn't restrictive then don't worry about it /looking/ as if it
might be!

Of course, at the
back my my head, I realise that a company wouldn't sell a PFD labelled for
whitewater that wouldn't be able to pull you out of a tricky situation!

A BA won't really pull you out of a tricky situation: that generally
requires human intervention, whether you or someone else. It /will/
provide buoyancy which can be a big help, but if you get trapped
underwater you'll still drown and if you're swept out to see you'll
still get hypothermic. And an expensive BA won't really help you any
more than a cheap one in such a situation.

Anyway, I'm going to be heading off to the pool for a rolling clinic (still
can't get it!) so I'll love you and leave you!

It'll come. It takes some folk longer than others, but it'll come.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Roos Eisma

"Ewan Scott" writes:

are starting to take deeper breaths. My wife has a BA that I can use and
vice versa - Unless you are a Jordan, I doubt that there is any real
difference between BA's BTW, she doesn't wear support when paddling, if you
know what I mean.

I did buy a women specific BA last year, and I do prefer it over the
unisex one I hds before. The main thing I was looking for was a shorter
body with still enough flotation - compared to men of my weight I have a
shorter torso and longer legs. My old BA fit fine when I was standing up,
but sitting in a boat the spraydeck would push the BA towards my ears.

You may find a good fit in unisex/male BAs, but do try it on in your boat
if you can!

Roos
Peter Clinch

Roos Eisma wrote:

You may find a good fit in unisex/male BAs, but do try it on in your boat
if you can!

And though it's probably Non-Trivial to wander in to the shop with
/your/ boat, they might have something comparable hanging on the wall
that can stand in. If you're in a shop paying them money then get all
the service you can!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Some how it seamed much easier when I started. Of course now I have 5
boats, no idea how many BA's I have gone through and a ton of odds and
sods to help friends play with the sport.

My car is rubish but i have nice boats.
Alex

Ladies and Gents.... Overproof ASA 18 December 16th 04 01:38 AM
Praise the Good Folk at Landover! Amen! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 14th 04 08:51 PM
Canoepolo Birthday Calendars for sale with Dutch Ladies' Canoepolo Squad Michiel Verhoef General 1 February 5th 04 04:35 PM
13' Boat Reccomendations frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:46 PM
Ladies and Gent...prepare! Bobsprit ASA 6 July 30th 03 04:25 AM