Charlie

Thanks for the advice guys. so far I've only really done kayaking on the
Marina where I live, out on the sea from there and down in Gower (best surf
in the UK apparently!). I've had my boat since last summer (It's an I:3)
and bought it on a bit of a whim! I've got my first taste of proper white
water coming up soon at Llanysul and I can't wait! This is why I want the
kit. And yes, my boat has air bags, I wouldn't be allowed to paddle with
the club if it didn't, and I don't fancy the idea of emptying out a whole
boat when I go over!

Are the low cut PFD's generally better? They look like they should be, and
they're generally much more expensive. They look like the offer a really
good range of movement around the shoulder and core. It's one thing I don't
want to skimp on, I'd rather pay more money for something I may never need,
but could one day save my life if it's up to scratch. Of course, at the
back my my head, I realise that a company wouldn't sell a PFD labelled for
whitewater that wouldn't be able to pull you out of a tricky situation!

Anyway, I'm going to be heading off to the pool for a rolling clinic (still
can't get it!) so I'll love you and leave you!

Charlie.

wrote in message
oups.com...
You asked about a BA ( we call them PFD's) Your challenge is to get a
very comfortable one that gives you a full range of movement. They will
all get you up for a breath: IF THEY FIT!
Good strong shoulder straps are a must for possible rescues. In The
Hand of God rescue or simply a helping hand dragging you back into your
boat, your rescuer should be able to grasp good stout webbing on your
shoulders to do it. This saves misunderstandings.
A good BA or PFD is likely going to cost a bit. Mine is about $200.00
Canadian about 80 quid.
You won't need a tow harness.
I trust the boat has added boyancy ( air bags ) to displace water..
I am mostly a sea kayaker but like the last poster do a little WW.
That BA has to fit and be comfortable, That to me is one of the most
important things.
( of course I can't swim)....
Have fun. this is a great dsport.
When you get old we will steal you away to sea kayaking.