Default GM loses big-time

"Canuck57" wrote in news:eujlk.157258$gc5.91959
@pd7urf2no:

Bet for $2500 those Nano's are not complex.

They will be by the time Canadian and US government bureaucrats get done
with them.....and they'll be just like the Smart car....$15-20K....to pay
for it.

On Aug 3, 12:08*pm, Larry wrote:
"Canuck57" wrote innews59lk.53770$nD.14297@pd7urf1no:

....and resemblance to the CBC Possum Lodge van installations is
purely coincidental....(c;

Never saw that. *CBC, you must be a fortunate Canadian GC holder who
didn't have an old man that was a US citizen/tax evader holding you up
with INS.

There are many GREAT Possum Lodge/Red Green segments posted to YouTube. *
Just do a search for "Red Green" including the quote marks and it finds a
huge list. *I think it was the best show CBC ever aired....300 episodes!

The Red Green Show was one of my favorites!

"Larry" wrote in message
"Canuck57" wrote in
news59lk.53770$nD.14297@pd7urf1no:

....and resemblance to the CBC Possum Lodge van installations is
purely coincidental....(c;

Never saw that. CBC, you must be a fortunate Canadian GC holder who
didn't have an old man that was a US citizen/tax evader holding you up
with INS.

There are many GREAT Possum Lodge/Red Green segments posted to YouTube.
Just do a search for "Red Green" including the quote marks and it finds a
huge list. I think it was the best show CBC ever aired....300 episodes!

Say what?
Most Canadians 60 or over will tell you the Don Messer Jubilee (produced in
Halifax) was the most popular show on CBC.
http://www.cbc.ca/lifeandtimes/messer.html
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=U1ARTU0002357

"Canuck57" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
"Canuck57" wrote in
news59lk.53770$nD.14297@pd7urf1no:

....and resemblance to the CBC Possum Lodge van installations is
purely coincidental....(c;

Never saw that. CBC, you must be a fortunate Canadian GC holder who
didn't have an old man that was a US citizen/tax evader holding you up
with INS.

There are many GREAT Possum Lodge/Red Green segments posted to YouTube.
Just do a search for "Red Green" including the quote marks and it finds a
huge list. I think it was the best show CBC ever aired....300 episodes!

Funny, I never saw it but by Wiki's description, I might have liked it.
But I don't watch much CBC or TV for that mater. I would say less than 3
hours a week, maybe. CBC is too leftist liberal big government sponsored
for my tastes. Costs 33M Canadians some $2B a year.

Two billion...CBC wishes that were so.
Last I heard it was about 1.2 billion with advertising revenue making up the
rest of it's budget.

"Canuck57" wrote in message

Working on my lovely wife to move to a smaller community on retirement.
One with fishing holes nearby. But so far not winning this though, she is
a city chick.

Women are nesters. Get rid of the nest, and your options multiply.

Eisboch

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:58:45 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

"Canuck57" wrote in message

Working on my lovely wife to move to a smaller community on retirement.
One with fishing holes nearby. But so far not winning this though, she
is a city chick.

Women are nesters. Get rid of the nest, and your options multiply.

Eisboch

So do hers, poison, guns, knives. Nope, way too risky.

"Canuck57" wrote in message

Working on my lovely wife to move to a smaller community on retirement.
One with fishing holes nearby. But so far not winning this though, she
is a city chick.

Women are nesters. Get rid of the nest, and your options multiply.

Eisboch

So do hers, poison, guns, knives. Nope, way too risky.

Unfortunately for us, you are correct. What was I thinking?

Eisboch

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 15:58:45 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Canuck57" wrote in message

Working on my lovely wife to move to a smaller community on retirement.
One with fishing holes nearby. But so far not winning this though, she is
a city chick.

Women are nesters. Get rid of the nest, and your options multiply.

Just have to provide a suitable nest elsewhere. I think.

--Vic

"Canuck57" wrote in

Just started working in a downtown environment for the first time,
what a rat race. People are not friendly, they just want one step
ahead of you and it seems to make their shallow day. And their faces
are blank and expressionless. I am lucky, will retire in a few more
years. That is not life.

The people in the city are just acting like the corporation they work
for. It rubs off, the same reason the bureaucrats at the tax office are
such ****s. That rubs off, too.

So, we become a nation (or nations) of corporate rats who only care
about ME. Just watch rec.boats for a few weeks and you can see its
effects right here.

People from far away are quite incredulous when our little group of
locals hauls it all out on the docks and starts steaming 200 pounds of
oysters or crab or some other seafood. The look on their faces when
these complete, utter strangers that "talk funny" in Charleston brogue
tell them welcome and to come join us for Dock Dinner and libations into
the night, the crabs long since consumed and new friends from exotic
places sitting on someone's deck trying to figure out why the boat is
swaying around in perfectly flat water...(c;

I remember an outing not long ago when we "hooked" a Scottish couple
working their way down the coast towards the Canal Zone. They ate a
good plateful then he excused himself as he had to "do something
important on my boat, but I'll be back." Off he went and came back in
about 30 minutes toting the biggest bottle of the FINEST single malt
Scotch I had ever tasted! "My brother makes this in the family business
that's been going over 500 years.", he told us. You couldn't buy it
here. Some liquids smuggled into the country would be classified as
weapons of mass destruction. Oh, what a fine Scotch it was!....traded
with the Scot for some Charleston seafood...(c; I fell out of the
forward V-berth still reeling the next morning....What a great party and
only TWO fell off the dock into the river, a very safe night, indeed, by
our usual 7-10 dunkings standards.

Single Malt Scotch can sure make a floating dock complex very quiet the
following morning....(c; The Scots were late leaving and promised to
return as they had a wonderful time, too. They told us we were the
friendliest bunch of boat people they ever encountered.....(c;

.....It's not about a bunch of snotty old hermits bitching and shaking
their fists....

DK DK is offline

Larry wrote:
"Canuck57" wrote in

When I go to northern Ontario fishing, I always go down to I94 or #2
across the top. Cheaper accommodations and fuel with better roads.
Adds about 160 miles but I more than make it up in time.

I graduated from high school in 1964. That day we left for a
circumnavigation of the Great Lakes my dad had been dreaming of for a
decade in his 1960 Rambler station wagon towing a '62 Shasta 13' travel
trailer, our home on wheels. Western Ontario on the Queen's Highway was
just beautiful until the trailer hitch weld broke in the truly middle of
nowhere. We coaxed it behind us by moving all our stuff to the rear of
it to take the weight off the hitch springing up and down on the front
crossbar until we found a phone booth alongside the road I will never
forget. There was nothing there....just a modern aluminum and glass
phone booth.....until you went inside.

Inside that phone booth, bolted to the aluminum was an old manually
cranked Bell System telephone right out of the 1920's. It had a big
earphone on a cotton covered brown cord and the carbon mic stuck out the
front of the box with a crank handle on the side to signal the operator.
My parents were apprehensive but I persisted as it looked well kept and
workable. A single wire ran up the outside of it to a single telephone
wire that went West, the direction we had been heading.

I listened to the receiver after giving the crank about 4 good turns. A
click, then the nicest Canadian telephone operator in the country came
on the line to ask what number. I told her I wasn't sure and that we
were from upstate NY and our trailer hitch was broken. "What number is
on the front of the phone?", she asked me. I read it off. "Let me make
a phone call. Just keep the earphone to your ear. I'll be right
back." There was a click of her disconnect and I waited about 5 or 6
minutes....no music on hold in Western Ontario's wilderness...

She came back and said, "You folks just stay right there. My husband is
on his way in the truck to take you into town. Bill (somebody) is
headed to the Chevy dealership and will get his welding machine all
ready before you get there to fix it." ROLLS ROYCE never provided this
level of service to its customers. A nice man in an old Chevy truck
rolled up to the trailer we had already unhitched from the car and
blocked the tires. My dad followed him into town and Mom and I stayed
with the trailer.

About an hour or so later, the old pay phone started ringing, so I ran
across the road and answered it. "Son, your dad and Harold got the
hitch all fixed with Bill's welding and they're on the way back to you
by now. They'll be there in a few minutes.", she told me to reassure us
help was on the way.

This was on a Sunday morning in 1964. We found out later she had called
the church where Bill and his family had just started in to hear the
service. Bill told my dad he'd rather go to the shop and weld that
hitch than listen to their pastor drone on and on about something he'd
heard a hundred times before.

Dad and I hitched the trailer to the car before Mom hauled our saviour
inside for some homemade campstove cookies and a hot cup of campstove
coffee she had perked for them. By that time, it was, of course, much
later than we had intended and Harold, our saviour, said he didn't want
us driving on that road in the dark because it was Moose mating season
and some real monsters we'd already seen would be on the road in the
dark. So, he went over to the phone and rang his operator. They didn't
have a place to put our trailer up for the night with power, but there
was an outside outlet, toilet with showers at the fire station in town.
So, she called the fire chief to make arrangements for us to stay behind
the firehouse for the night so we could start fresh the next morning.

Noone stayed at the firehouse, but they left the back door open for us
and refused to take any donation to the firehouse's fund. Bill, our
welder, also refused to take a dime, Canadian or US, for dragging him
out of church. The welding he did was fantastic as it was on the car
after a few more thousand miles of towing our little trailer many years
later when the old Rambler was a NY road salt rusted out hulk.

I was 18 at the time and not very observant as most teens are, so I
can't tell you even what the name of the little town in Western Ontario
was....but I can see the whole place in my mind's eye as I'm typing this
old farts reminiscence of the finest Canadians we ever met, helping
complete strangers broken down in their town.....on a Sunday morning.

I wonder if that phone box is still just sitting there.....miles from
nowhere.....

That reminds me of another story I read here a while back...

Sometime in the early 1960s, I was driving back from Ft.Leonard Wood to
Kansas City in a nice old MGA I owned at the time. About halfway home it
started raining heavily, I turned on the wipers, and EVERY SINGLE
electrical accessory and light in the car flashed on, there was a large
popping sound and it all blew out at once. And the car caught fire. I
pulled over to the side of the road, watched the fire, removed my
license plate and hitched on home. For all I know, that old MGA is still
there.

Sure was a pretty little car.

LOKI loses her rudder Bart ASA 8 November 1st 07 03:49 AM
Oh my, Loco loses again! Capt. Rob ASA 3 July 17th 06 04:44 PM
Loco loses again! Bobsprit ASA 5 September 19th 04 09:23 PM
Bob loses!! Jonathan Ganz ASA 0 January 21st 04 09:16 AM
If Bush Loses Bobsprit ASA 9 November 24th 03 12:37 AM