posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default LOKI loses her rudder

http://www.cyca.com.au/newsDetail.asp?key=3510

Did the crew of LOKI have any other options?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
http://www.cyca.com.au/newsDetail.asp?key=3510

Did the crew of LOKI have any other options?

On MY Loki I have 2 rudders each of which can be steered independently
if needed. Also, with two engines I can get by without both rudders.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 26, 11:06 pm, jeff wrote:
Bart wrote:
http://www.cyca.com.au/newsDetail.asp?key=3510

Did the crew of LOKI have any other options?

On MY Loki I have 2 rudders each of which can be steered independently
if needed. Also, with two engines I can get by without both rudders.

Those are nice features. I like two rudders on a monohull also.

I've seen a number of aluminum centerboard designs with
twin rudders. It is a built in spare!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 26, 10:31 pm, Bart wrote:
http://www.cyca.com.au/newsDetail.asp?key=3510

Did the crew of LOKI have any other options?

30+ knots of wind and building with no rudder. And
they needed to weather a point to clear land.

#6 jib and two reefs in.

Would it be possible to sail upwind without a rudder?

Would a parachute type sea anchor have limited the
drift enough allow time for some daylight to view
other options?

#6 jib and two reefs in.

Would it be possible to sail upwind without a rudder?

With some boats and some conditions, sure. One of the nice things
about a divided rig (ketch, yawl, or schooner) is that you can use the
sails to produce powerful turning moment on almost any course. A big
sloop.... not so much.

The story says they tried using drogues; I'm a little surprised they
didn't try the spinnaker pole. With or without some kind of flat
surface attached, it would have less drag and produce more turning
moment than a drogue off the transom corner.

Would a parachute type sea anchor have limited the
drift enough allow time for some daylight to view
other options?

Dunno, if they were equipped to Cat 0 then they would have had to have
a sea anchor aboard.

I didn't see mention of how much time they had before hitting the
rocks, but since the boat was on the hard the next day, clearly it was
an issue.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

#6 jib and two reefs in.

Would it be possible to sail upwind without a rudder?

Would a parachute type sea anchor have limited the
drift enough allow time for some daylight to view
other options?

Some sort of fixed rudder would probably be required. CE vs. CLR works
pretty well. It wouldn't be much fun, however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 29, 4:08 pm, OzOne wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:43:53 -0700, Bart
scribbled thusly:

#6 jib and two reefs in.

Would it be possible to sail upwind without a rudder?

Would a parachute type sea anchor have limited the
drift enough allow time for some daylight to view
other options?

I know Cam very well, he's an Etchells champ among others and when
Loki ended up on the beach I can assure you that every option was
explored with crew safety paramount.

Fancy deep fin and spade rudders..made to get ripped off.

Joe

#6 jib and two reefs in.

Would it be possible to sail upwind without a rudder?

Would a parachute type sea anchor have limited the
drift enough allow time for some daylight to view
other options?

I know Cam very well, he's an Etchells champ among others and when
Loki ended up on the beach I can assure you that every option was
explored with crew safety paramount.

Have you talked him about it?

Oh my, Loco loses again! Capt. Rob ASA 3 July 17th 06 04:44 PM
Loco loses again! Bobsprit ASA 5 September 19th 04 09:23 PM
Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T -- to rudder or not to rudder? Burton Manne General 0 April 9th 04 01:08 AM
Bob loses!! Jonathan Ganz ASA 0 January 21st 04 09:16 AM
If Bush Loses Bobsprit ASA 9 November 24th 03 12:37 AM