Default Will losses at Bank of America...

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..
hk wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
news wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:50:19 -0500, hk
wrote:

IBM is still in business?
They actually opened a couple bucks higher today. It is still about
16-17 bucks off the 52 week high. I am still not sure what they do
these days
Except for two stocks, we got out of the stock market years ago and
don't really pay any attention to it, except to chuckle over its
vagaries and the belief anyone pays to its "integrity."

What a silly generalization.
Perhaps you believe in the "generally accepted accounting practices" of
listed companies. We don't.

OK. What investments do you use which have consistently stayed ahead of
inflation?

These days, commercial real estate for income and appreciation, and some
raw land options which we picked up and exercised in the early 1990s.
Every couple of years we sell off a lot and at some point, we'll probably
sell the remaining lots to a respectable architect/developer. We've done
very well with the land speculation. :-)

We also bought gold in the low $400s. Not certificates, coins. And we
have some money invested in private businesses, a real speculation on our
part, but the bookkeepers are honest.

Your land speculation is just that speculation. I could take stock in a
publicly traded company and turn it into cash money tomorrow. You land
sale has to wait for a buyer and the subsequent deal to actually go
through.

Why would you buy gold coins? Are you digging a bomb shelter in your
backyard too?

Liquid assets, let me repeat that liquid assets.

For what type of money? Good luck answering this question. Hint: Trump

JimH wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
"JimH" wrote in message
I've got a nice 6.25% APR that matures in 2011.

That's something to roll on the floor for!
--
John H

Wrong again. In the long run that is a very poor ROI.

All depends on your stage in life and what you are trying to accomplish.
There's a difference between being young trying to gain wealth and being
older, trying to enjoy what you have.

Eisboch

JimH,
That makes more sense than most of your posts.

"JimH" wrote in message

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:09:00 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Salmon Bait" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:45:37 -0800, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

"JimH" wrote in message

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:28:45 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Bzzt. FDIC insurance is $250k on IRA's.

Yeah - I just found that out.

Learn something new everyday.

The only CDs I have are joint accounts with the kids - sort of an
insurance policy if you will.

CD's? ROTF.

5.1% is a nice parking place for some money.

I've got a nice 6.25% APR that matures in 2011.

That's something to roll on the floor for!

You can 5.1's with a less than year maturity.

4.9 for three months on an auto rollover.

It's a good place to park some "insurance/emergency" money - something
that you don't take a huge hit on if you have to access it, but earns
something while you wait. It's a perfect vehicle for that type of
assurance that your money is "liquid".

Whatever floats your boat. My *emergency* funds are certainly no in CD's
and are quite liquid.

Where are those funds?

HK HK is offline

BAR wrote:
hk wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Land speculation is indeed land speculation. My land partner and I
speculated way back then that owning about 100 acres of heavily wooded,
rolling land in a certain part of Fairfax County would pay off, big time.

It has, and it continues to do so. My guess is that *one* of those lots
is worth more than your net worth. Good times or bad times, not a month
goes by in which we don't get a call asking us if we want to sell
another lot. Usually the answer is no. When we do sell a lot, I put most
of my proceeds, after taxes, into our private REIT and some of it in our
money market account and some of it in a sock. Or if we need a new car,
I simply pay cash for it.

As for the gold coins, well, while I didn't buy them for their
investment value, it's nice that they've just about doubled in value
over these few years.

Oh. I don't "finance" the purchase of cars or boats. But I've already
posted that.

I'm thinking of starting up a charity that finds ways to keep
subperforming students in high school so they get their diplomas and
don't quit to join the military. Such a program might have helped
someone like you, eh?
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here wrote in message
. ..

JimH,
That makes more sense than most of your posts.

I am definitely in your head.

Another example of your reading comprehension problem.

Actually, Reggie sticks his nose as far up the butts of posters as it
will reach.

"JimH" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JimH" wrote in message

I've got a nice 6.25% APR that matures in 2011.

That's something to roll on the floor for!
--
John H

Wrong again. In the long run that is a very poor ROI.

All depends on your stage in life and what you are trying to accomplish.
There's a difference between being young trying to gain wealth and being
older, trying to enjoy what you have.

Eisboch

Hey, I am there. But even so I would not put money into CD's, especially
if I were investing money for my grandchildren.

529 fund?

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..
hk wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Physical gold sucks as an asset for protection. Go with an ETF like GLD.
Sells for 1/10 of an ounce of gold a share. Very liquid, and gives you the
gold tracking.