Default Will losses at Bank of America...

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:14:00 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:59:44 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Actually it's I-94 and Wisconsin 50, just a couple of miles north of the
border. I haven't been there in probably 25 years but we started eating
there in the '60s. Hwy 50 is the route we took to Camp Lake where we had a
home on the lake.

Just for fun I Goggled it, low and behold, it's still there after 46 years.

Three things I miss since leaving Chicago area are brats, good pizza and
Italian beef sandwiches.

http://www.bratstop.com/contact.htm

If you do stop there, have a couple for me.

Thanks, I saved it. You've given me the idea to go to Kenosha
and maybe visit the waterfront. Real quick trip compared to going out
on I-90 to see farms.
You got that right about pizza and Italian beef. I hardly ate brats
until I moved to the suburbs. 'Cause I can't find decent pizza or
Italian beef nearby!

I miss fresh from the farm brats.

MMMMMM.....

When I was a kid, my maternal Grandfather used to take me to the
Braves games at the old Milwaukee County Stadium - we used to sit in
the bleachers at the Old Soldier's Home which overlooked Right Field.
There was a WWI vet there who would cook up brats he got from a farmer
out in Troy Center and hand them out to the other vets and their
grandkids. He'd make up a veggie mix to go with them - sort of a stir
fry, just a tad different.

Good times man, good times.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:28:31 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A couple of years ago my 90 year old Aunt in Arlington Hts became terminally
ill. My brother, from Michigan and I both traveled there to be with her as
she had no other family. The three weeks I was there much of our dining was
on pizza and Italian beef. When I arrived home in Florida I jumped on the
scale only to find I had gained 13 pounds.

Haven't found a decent pizza joint here. There have been a couple of places
that opened and served pretty good Chicago style Italian beef but neither of
them lasted very long.

When I first moved to Florida I walked into a "Italian" pizza restaurant and
ordered an Italian beef to go. They looked at me like I just fell out of
tree, they had never heard of such a thing. I didn't realize it's a thing
pretty much unique to Chicago.

Yep.

Another "thing" is ordering pickle on your hot dog. Nice big fat
slice of pickle. And real mustard, not the crap mustard most hot dog
places have. Properly chunked spanish onions.

mmmmmm.....

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:18:04 -0500, hk wrote:

While I
do expect this country to collapse into class warfare, I don't believe
it will happen in my lifetime, though I think the time is getting closer
as the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" widens.

I'll tell you what - if the Clinton's don't start a race war, Obama
will start a class war.

Watch and see.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:28:31 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You forgot the celery salt and tomato and sweet pickle relish and poppy seed
bun and....

wrote:

[...]

I sorely miss good Midwestern food. I can't even find decent raw materials
down here in Florida.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:28:31 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Haven't found a decent pizza joint here. There have been a couple of places
that opened and served pretty good Chicago style Italian beef but neither of
them lasted very long.

I've tried a few pizzas when I vacationed there. Best was a Pizza
Hut, and that says it all. I'm sure there are good Italian restaurant
down there, but I've had bad luck. Even mushy lasagna.
Got a feeling everything is too transient, and quality and consistency
never gets built up. Maybe it'll change.

When I first moved to Florida I walked into a "Italian" pizza restaurant and
ordered an Italian beef to go. They looked at me like I just fell out of
tree, they had never heard of such a thing. I didn't realize it's a thing
pretty much unique to Chicago.

As much as I miss pizzas when in Florida, it's getting good Polish rye
bread that worries me about moving there. Maybe we don't look hard
enough when on vacation, but I haven't seen it. Publix and the other
chain down ther - can't remember - have a pretty good selection of
food, and some good "gourmet" stuff, but around here there's plenty of
big groceries that are "ethno-centric." Mostly Polish/Russian. Good
bread - the Polish rye we like - is a given in all of them. Think it
comes from Baltic Bakery in the city, which has been around forever.
It's a mild rye, moderately crisp crust bread. Hmmmm.

--Vic

On Jan 23, 2:54*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:
"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in messagenews:886fp314jbue2cqctoclkkc78usogdnu9i@4ax .com...

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:28:31 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

bun and....- Hide quoted text -

There's plenty of authentic ethnic foods in Florida. It's a whole
industry catering to snowbirds.

.. .

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

It's been a few years since I've been back out that way.