Default Will losses at Bank of America...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:26:12 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:33:35 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

You cannot just look at one year either from a positive or negative
aspect.
One of the more interesting things I became involved with was back
testing - I started doing this about ten years or so ago using 1
month, 6 month, 18 month, 36 month spans.

It's really an interesting way to determine the value of any long term
investment.

Now, I've got programs that will forward test, back test, sideways
test, upside down test... :)

I don't trade as much as invest long term. Every once in a while you
get interested in something or the other and invest in that. Solar
stocks recently have been a winner for me - funds and single
intestments. Probably will be handing those off to the kids.

I've mentioned this before, but I still have IBM stock from thirty
years ago. :)

What a lousy hold that has been. 8-)

Horrible - the return has been - horrible.

I'm so ashamed. :)

I've also been very lucky - as in REALLY lucky with my long term
investments. We dumped most of our portfolio, with exceptions, on
September 10th, 2001 and intended to reset investments on the 12th.

Whew... :)

I think you might be getting a visit from the feds this morning.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:14:25 -0500, hk wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:43:32 -0500, hk wrote:

If there is no acceptable government issued currency, we're back to
barter. You want to barter slips of paper or chunks of gold?

Pizza.

Pizza will become the defacto currency.

Plain or mozz?

Plain will the .01¢, Mushroom will be .05¢, Onion will be .10¢,
Mushroon/onion will be .25¢, Pepperoni will be .50¢ and
mushroom/onion/pepperoni will be $1.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:43:32 -0500, hk wrote:

If there is no acceptable government issued currency, we're back to
barter. You want to barter slips of paper or chunks of gold?

Pizza.

Pizza will become the defacto currency.

Actually in the complete collapse of society, pizza would have
substantially higher value than gold.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:43:32 -0500, hk wrote:

If there is no acceptable government issued currency, we're back to
barter. You want to barter slips of paper or chunks of gold?

Pizza.

Pizza will become the defacto currency.

That makes a lot more sense than gold.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:43:32 -0500, hk wrote:

If there is no acceptable government issued currency, we're back to
barter. You want to barter slips of paper or chunks of gold?

Pizza.

Pizza will become the defacto currency.

That makes a lot more sense than gold.

If you pound gold very thin, and saute it, and then serve it with a
brown gravy it still taste like ****.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:29:18 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
"Reggie is Here wrote:

[...]

We did actually in November, 2001. Very nice young lady just asked a
few questions, did a quicky background check and never heard from them
again becausse we had went back into the market at the end of
September in blind trusts and bought some real estate for renovation
and eventual sale.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten involved in
renovating properties, holding them as rentals and sold on a six year
cycle when I first retired.

It's an amazing money maker.

"Reggie is Here wrote:

[...]

It's an amazing money maker.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it sure is, at least in these parts.

On Jan 22, 8:49*pm, "JimH" wrote:
"Salmon Bait" wrote in message

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:04:57 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
om...

"JimH" wrote in message
. ..

I've got a nice 6.25% APR that matures in 2011.

That's something to roll on the floor for!
--
John H

Wrong again. * In the long run that is a very poor ROI.

All depends on your stage in life and what you are trying to accomplish.
There's a difference between being young trying to gain wealth and being
older, trying to enjoy what you have.

Eisboch

Hey, I am there. *But even so I would not put money into CD's, especially
if
I were investing money for my grandchildren.

We're all glad to hear you've no money in CD's. Your financial acumen has
impressed us all.
--
Red Herring

CD's? * ROTF!

BTW: Is Reggie giving you some tips on changing your handles?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, JiimH makes 20% on his investments. He said so! Right after he
astoundedly read that someone else said that. Hell, he even called him
a moron for suggesting that he made 20%, before he turned around and
said HE did.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten involved in
renovating properties, holding them as rentals and sold on a six year
cycle when I first retired.

It's an amazing money maker.

One of the best "investments" we've made is holding the mortgage on a house
we bought a few years back then sold it to a young, but very responsible
couple who were looking for their first house purchase. They didn't have a
credit track record sufficient to qualify for a mortgage loan from a bank at
the time, but we knew them well and trusted their commitment to make the
monthly payments. It's been over five years now and they have never been
even a day late with the monthly payments.

Works out good for both parties. They get to build equity in a house and we
make the interest that a bank would normally get (plus the difference
between what we paid for the house and what we sold it to them for). We
wrote the agreement such that they can elect to re-mortgage at any time with
a bank (outstanding principle paid to us), or we can "sell" the mortgage to
a commercial lender at any time.

Eisboch

hk wrote:

And we
have some money invested in private businesses, a real speculation on
our part, but the bookkeepers are honest.

Are these businesses incorporated?

-- Charlie