Default Keeping a boat/trailer over the winter...

HK wrote:

Well, Reggies, if and when you ever have a boat, you can block up
your tires.

I sold my runabout many years ago, and I don't keep my boat stored on
a trailer, it says in the water unless I have it hauled for maintenance.

Gosh, I wonder what that alleged boat of yours weighs now, compared to
when it was hatched from the mold.

Harry,
I have never understood why anyone in their right mind would make up
boat ownership. Since you have fabricated so many boat ownership
stories, (that no one every believes), why do you do it?

The one story I liked best when you posted a wav file of your boat horn
to prove you actually owned a Lobster boat.

I really don't care if anyone believes I own a boat or not, it really
isn't important

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

I've got an old sports car sitting in a garage. It is sitting on its
Dunlop tires. The car sits for six months at a time. I have never
noticed any "flat spots" on the tires related to storage. Car spends
most of its life under a couple of sewn-together bedsheets.

My '67 GTO has Coker Redlines on it. After sitting for several months they
develop a small flat spot that is noticeable for a couple of miles, then
they round out.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

Harry,

I remembered one of the other reasons my father recommended jacking the
trailer off so the tires did not sit on the ground. Since I didn't
check the air pressure of the tires during the winter, he said it was
common for the tires to become low in pressure, with would cause
additional stress on the sideways, and cause the sidewalls to crack
prematurely. I had a tank of air I would bring up in the spring to fill
the tires before the first time I used it. You have stated many times,
that you don't keep your boats for more than a few years (after only
using them for very few hours), so it really isn't important for you.

But the original poster was wondering what the recommendation of the
experts are, here is another one who recommends jacking the tires off
the ground.

http://www.maxrules.com/storeit.html

As I stated, you are free to jack up or off as you wish. As usual, you
are working much to hard to try to prove you have a point.

You have no knowledge of my boating pattern of use. I have low hours on
my previous Parker for reasons of which you have no knowledge. I've had
my current Parker since just before Labor Day and I'm sure I've put more
engine hours on that boat than you have on yours.
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

I've got an old sports car sitting in a garage. It is sitting on its
Dunlop tires. The car sits for six months at a time. I have never
noticed any "flat spots" on the tires related to storage. Car spends
most of its life under a couple of sewn-together bedsheets.

My '67 GTO has Coker Redlines on it. After sitting for several months they
develop a small flat spot that is noticeable for a couple of miles, then
they round out.

Eisboch

My old car is a 1959-60 model, and British, so there's no assurance that
even if the tires were round, the wheels would be.

HK wrote:

Well, Reggies, if and when you ever have a boat, you can block up
your tires.

I sold my runabout many years ago, and I don't keep my boat stored on
a trailer, it says in the water unless I have it hauled for maintenance.

Gosh, I wonder what that alleged boat of yours weighs now, compared to
when it was hatched from the mold.

Harry,
I have never understood why anyone in their right mind would make up
boat ownership. Since you have fabricated so many boat ownership
stories, (that no one every believes), why do you do it?

The one story I liked best when you posted a wav file of your boat horn
to prove you actually owned a Lobster boat.

I really don't care if anyone believes I own a boat or not, it really
isn't important

I made a decision not to post particular photos, and I haven't. It
delights me that that decision of mine has driven so many of this
newsgroup's a**holes, people like you, nuts.

I not only posted that horn sound, I posted photos of the horn being
sodablasted and rebuilt and powdercoated and more.

Frankly, Reggie, I've thought you a useless turd ever since you began to
pollute this newsgroup with your 50 different handles. Nothing you have
done since has caused me to change my mind about you.

HK wrote:
[...]

I probably have 10-15 hrs since labor day, so you probably have used
your boat more this fall. I hope you keep using it, it looks like a
nice fishing boat for the bay. I am always amazed at how many boats
either sit in dry storage or in their slip for years without anyone
using them.

HK wrote:

[...]

You have to trust me on this one, the fact that you don't own a Lobster
boat has not driven me nuts. I just wish you would take me up on my bet
about who owns what boat. I would split my money with the Salvation Army
and still have enough to buy my youngest a used car for her to drive.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:38:10 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

I hope you keep using it, it looks like a
nice fishing boat for the bay.

Actually Harry's previous boat, the pilot house Parker, was much
better suited to Chesapeake Bay. Except on the calmest days you don't
see many boats under 24 or 25 feet out there. We spent 4 weeks and
about 500 nautical miles criss crossing the Chesapeake in late
September through mid-October. There are some days when anything less
than 35 to 40 ft would be inappropriate.

"Toller" wrote in message
I am have my first trailered boat; before now my boats were small enough to
just store upside down on the dock for the winter.

Someone told me it I should put the back up on blocks to take the load off
the tires, so I have done that. How about the front. Must that be
propped up also, or is the crank thing okay?

The guy I bought it from lubed everything last April. The trailer has
only been in the water twice since then. Does it need any maintenance?

Thanks much

I jack up the boat trailer and put blocks at three points... frame near each
wheek (single axle) and near where the tongue joins the trailer body.
This relieves the springs and wheels plus the 'tongue jack' for our long 6
or 7 month layup.
If our boating season was longer and the layup shorter, I might just move
the trailer around on occasion. (if not burried under ice & snow)

HK HK is offline

wrote:

I hope you keep using it, it looks like a
nice fishing boat for the bay.

Actually Harry's previous boat, the pilot house Parker, was much
better suited to Chesapeake Bay. Except on the calmest days you don't
see many boats under 24 or 25 feet out there.

When the wind blows, Wayne's b.s. flows. On any weekend morning, there
are three to four dozen trucks with empty trailers near the launch ramp
at BP Marina, indicating guys out fishing, and at least half the slips
are empty, too. The trailerboats are for mostly 17-22' boats. When I
tried to raise you on the VHF last week, I was over on the other side of
the Bay, and for a while was in the middle of at least 40 small boats
and some larger boats, all bottom or drift fishing. Every day I've been
out in September and October, and I was out many times, there were
plenty of small boats out on the Bay.

We spent 4 weeks and
about 500 nautical miles criss crossing the Chesapeake in late
September through mid-October. There are some days when anything less
than 35 to 40 ft would be inappropriate.

There were very days in the time period you mentioned when a 35-40
footer was necessary to be safe on the water.

I think you've spent so much time on that overstuffed, old,
energy-wasting, slow-moving barge of yours, you have no idea of what fun
being out in a small boat can be.