HK HK is offline

Default Keeping a boat/trailer over the winter...

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:38:10 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

I hope you keep using it, it looks like a
nice fishing boat for the bay.

Actually Harry's previous boat, the pilot house Parker, was much
better suited to Chesapeake Bay. Except on the calmest days you don't
see many boats under 24 or 25 feet out there.

When the wind blows, Wayne's b.s. flows. On any weekend morning, there
are three to four dozen trucks with empty trailers near the launch ramp
at BP Marina, indicating guys out fishing, and at least half the slips
are empty, too. The trailerboats are for mostly 17-22' boats. When I
tried to raise you on the VHF last week, I was over on the other side of
the Bay, and for a while was in the middle of at least 40 small boats
and some larger boats, all bottom or drift fishing. Every day I've been
out in September and October, and I was out many times, there were
plenty of small boats out on the Bay.

We spent 4 weeks and
about 500 nautical miles criss crossing the Chesapeake in late
September through mid-October. There are some days when anything less
than 35 to 40 ft would be inappropriate.

There were very days in the time period you mentioned when a 35-40
footer was necessary to be safe on the water.

I think you've spent so much time on that overstuffed, old,
energy-wasting, slow-moving barge of yours, you have no idea of what fun
being out in a small boat can be.