Steve Alexanderson

Default Don't trailer with motor tilted up. How about under way?

Just got my new Yamaha T9.9 kicker. The manual says not to trailer it when
tilted up to prevent damage to the support. What about under way with my
main engine? I'll be hitting bigger bumps much harder with no where to put
the transom saver.

-rick-

"Steve Alexanderson" wrote ...
Just got my new Yamaha T9.9 kicker. The manual says not to trailer it when
tilted up to prevent damage to the support. What about under way with my
main engine? I'll be hitting bigger bumps much harder with no where to put
the transom saver.

Funny you should mention that. I just replaced the bracket/stainless steel
pin assembly that supports my Honda 15 when tilted up. ~$40.00 It broke
after several years of running rough water. On the Honda there is a place
that a strong piece of hardwood could be inserted to take the strain off the
pins. There also are strong power tilt brackets like the Panther 35.

http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/panther/lifts.html

-rick-

Steve Alexanderson

No ram cylinder on my 2004 model. Rick, won't your wood blocks bounce out?
Anyone using the Garelick (manual) lifting brackets?

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
With my T-8, I cut a piece of 3/4 PVC and cut a wide slot in it lengthwise
with a table saw. Slip the piece over the tilt ram rod and the engine

rests
on the pipe. The Baja I/O trailer guys do the same thing on their tilt
tubes.
Bill

"Steve Alexanderson"
Idon'tlikegreeneggsandspamIdon'tlikethemsamIamsal
wrote in message news:3f49386f_2@newsfeed...
Just got my new Yamaha T9.9 kicker. The manual says not to trailer it

when
tilted up to prevent damage to the support. What about under way with my
main engine? I'll be hitting bigger bumps much harder with no where to

put
the transom saver.

-rick-

"Steve Alexanderson" wrote...
No ram cylinder on my 2004 model. Rick, won't your wood blocks bounce out?
Anyone using the Garelick (manual) lifting brackets?

You're probably right about the wood block coming loose, that was the
dealer's suggestion. I was going to block and strap it but it's easier just
to use the Panther bracket's tilt.

-rick-

Steve Alexanderson

What does Panther say about trailering? I just received info from Garelick,
where they advise removing the engine before trailering. Presumably bouncing
off three foot waves at 40MPH is fine (no warning against anyway) , but
trailering on pavement isn't. Aargh!

Any other recommendations? I need to change out my fixed bracket anyway,
it's way to wimpy. I thought a raise/lower bracket like the Garlick would
solve both problems. I don't really need a powered device.

"-rick-" wrote in message
"Steve Alexanderson" wrote...
No ram cylinder on my 2004 model. Rick, won't your wood blocks bounce

out?
Anyone using the Garelick (manual) lifting brackets?

You're probably right about the wood block coming loose, that was the
dealer's suggestion. I was going to block and strap it but it's easier

just
to use the Panther bracket's tilt.

-rick-

-rick-

"Steve Alexanderson" wrote...
What does Panther say about trailering? I just received info from

Garelick,
where they advise removing the engine before trailering. Presumably

bouncing
off three foot waves at 40MPH is fine (no warning against anyway) , but
trailering on pavement isn't. Aargh!

I trailer with the kicker down so I've never questioned Panther about it.
From the looks of it it should be fine but who knows, they probably have
lawyers too...

Any other recommendations? I need to change out my fixed bracket anyway,
it's way to wimpy. I thought a raise/lower bracket like the Garlick would
solve both problems. I don't really need a powered device.

Beats me. The cheapest way is probably a good fixed bracket and the
kicker's tilt. On the trailer a transom saver could be used, on the water a
block and/or strap might suffice to protect the kicker's tilt. As a
practical matter I bet either the Garlick or Panther would hold up although
it wouldn't hurt to add a short safety chain and inspect regularly. I
trailered a 8hp extra-long shaft Merc in the up position for years without
incident.

-rick-

Steve Alexanderson

I found a little block and strap device today called the Bracket Pr.
http://www.hnet.net/~bracketpro/
Looks like it might be a good way to go, along with a fixed bracket. Never
need to remove the kicker, and no warrantees nullified. Anyone have any
experience with these?