Theron Hicks

Default Hobie 18 trailer questions

One comment... I looped the winch strap around the top of the front
cross-bar and then connected it to the dolphin striker. Thus the pull on
the dolphin striker is really close to the cross-bar. For all practical
purposes you are really pulling on the cross-bar that way. Otherwise, the
winch hook will try to slide to the bottom of the dolphin striker rod. I
hope that makes sense.

Theron

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Thanks. I had noticed that the bridle was getting tight up against
the mast support, and wanted to prevent that from happening. I was
also thinking that 4 straps around the hulls individually would be
better than 2 across both.

What about using the dolphin striker for winching, is it strong
enough?

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message

On 6 Jul 2003 19:27:42 -0700,
(Jim) wrote:

I recently bought an old H18 with trailer. I replaced the rusted

roller
brackets, and then realized that I have no idea what is supposed to

keep the
boat from moving forward. Straps across the hull don't exert enough
backwards force. I came up with a couple of ideas, but wanted to ask

what
is done normally.

Also, the strap attached to the winch was tied to the dolphin striker

post.
That didn't seem like a good idea, so I looped it around the front

crossbar
instead. What do most folks do?

I also have a 16 on rollers that are really easy to push the boat back
and forth on. The straps around the hull, 4 of them, cinched down tight
have worked for me. I've seen hundreds of hobies on trailers and that's
pretty much all they ever do.

Steve