Gary Warner

Default Depth Finder - Two questions

I've posted here about this question before, but never made final
decisions and now it's down to having to decide.

Situation: I have this 1958 wood hull (Ply-wood strake) Chris Craft
that we've been restoring for a long time
I want to put a depth finder in it. Two questions:

#1: Should I go with a mushroom shapped thru-hull transducer or
a transom mount one? (Obviously the shoot-through-the-hull type
won't work with a wood boat). On the one hand I like the thru-hull
idea because it will be totally hidden when the boat is in the water
and hard to notice it even when it's on the trailer. The transom mount
would show the cord running down the transom and also show the
transducer when on the trailer. ~~ Looks may not seem important
to some, but we've spent a LOT of time restoring this boat to look
origional. To then place something that is obviously NOT of the
period of the boat kind of negates all our work.

#2: If I do go with the thru-hull, I'm worried about picking the correct
placement spot. We're going to have to drill a hole through the hull
to put the transducer/mushroom in. I know to put it where there is no
turbulence. But I don't see a way to test the spot without actually
drilling the hole. And then if it's wrong...we've got a hole in the hull.
Sure it can be repaired, but that's not an ideal thing.

Ideas?
Reccomendations?

Thanks,
Gary

Fat Bass

http://continuouswave.com/maintenanc...somTransducer/

HERE IS A START... SORRY FOR THE CAPS...

Mike

I would not put the depth sounder on the transom since you'll be taking the
chance that the sounder will be reading bubbles from your prop wash, plus my
personal preference is to have the sounder up front anyway since I want to
know more about where I'm going than where I've just been.

regards,

Mike

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I've posted here about this question before, but never made final
decisions and now it's down to having to decide.

Situation: I have this 1958 wood hull (Ply-wood strake) Chris Craft
that we've been restoring for a long time
I want to put a depth finder in it. Two questions:

bowgus

Well ... you might go the with the transom mount ... but in such a way as to
be easily removable when out of the water. For example, mounted on say a
vertical strip of teak that also covers the lead. And there's lots of ways
to make the strip easily removable.