Default Gasoline prices - another record high/ supply and demand

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:16:21 -0400, " JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com
wrote:

We buy our produce at our local Heinen's store (16 stores total, all in
the general area and locally owned) or the local farmers stands when in
season. Heinen's purchases produce daily from the downtown food terminal
and distributes it that day to their stores. It is therefore much fresher
than with the large chains who buy it, warehouse it at their main
distribution points and eventually ship it to their stores often several
States away.

Too far to drive.
***** Have a Gay Day! *****

John

We all have our priorities. ;-)

Default Gasoline prices - gold as a hedge

Kind of a strange deal too. When I came back from my second tour, I
had ordered a Road Runner, but it never made it to San Francisco. The
dealer that was supposed to deliver the car really felt bad about the
whole thing and went out of his way to find another car for me - that
was the 440 GTX.

Today, officially, the GLee's new 440 was broken in. It has a mild MoPar
performance cam plus Edelbrock carb and intake. I've been easy on it since
the installation, doing the break-in routine religiously, but today I got
the requisite 300 miles on it and it was time to hammer it.

As Frank Barone used to say, "Holy Crap". There's definitely no
replacement for displacement.

Now I have to order new tires for the rear.

Eisboch

JohnH wrote:
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 13:28:02 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:08:44 -0400, JohnH wrote:

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 11:35:57 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 15:24:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message
. ..

***ME*** shift the conversation? You're talking about mortgage rates
while I'm telling that freight rates have increased 30% in 40-ish
months*, and you're making like it's a non-event.

*A number of months which is not a coincidence, by the way.
How much has the cost of groceries gone up at your local grocery store in
the last two years?
On which products in particular? An average would be meaningless.
Well, let me put it this way - about 100%.

I'll let you know when we buy our annual "basket". That is to say, we
buy the same thing, in one basket, every year just to see how much
more we pay year-to-year. We do it every year the weekend after Labor
Day.

Last year it was just shy of 80%.
Tom, were 80% of the items priced higher, or was the total price 80%
higher?

If the latter, you've gotta quit buying tomatoes at Safeway!

Total price.

And we don't buy anything at Safeway. :)

Boycotting Safeway is a good thing! :)

Tell me you don't shop at Giant?

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 13:32:01 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:08:58 GMT, Jack Goff wrote:

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:36:41 -0400, " JimH"
jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
news On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:17:46 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
news:A9Cdnc3CgJidCE7ZnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@comcast .com...

"Jack Goff" wrote in message

Myself, I like 'em all, pretty much. Old Mopar, Ford and even GM
products. I draw the line at Chevelles, though. Fat-fendered, ugly,
and everybody and his brother who doesn't have a Mustang has, or lusts
after, a Chevelle. Yech.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/classif...5000_220_1.jpg

Drool ;-)

I've never understood the fascination with '70s vintage Chevelles. To me,
they are not in any way a "classic", they handle terribly and they're a
dime
a dozen.

Eisboch

Isn't that the truth. 64-68 Chevelles have a nice look. 69 and up...
not for me. I think my favorite is a 66.

Wasn't the '68 the first year they started to raise and arch the rear
quarter panels, keeping that look into the 70's?

Yep, 68 was the first year of the new body style. But the sides of
the body are still smooth, without the fat-fenders. 70 is the year
they added the flares over the wheelwells and totally changed the
front end, IMO ruining the car's lines.

Different strokes.

The black folk down south love those post 70's GM products. They make
them into something called Hoop-Ds or something like that.

Quite the sight those are, I'll tell you what.

Are you talking about "stagecoach"? When they jack up a car, then put
huge wheels and tires on it (mostly diameter, some width). It sits up
high, and they can't turn the steering wheel very much, or the tires
scrub the frame.

The law has pretty much put an end to that quickly, as it violated
several safety rules. I rarely see one around here anymore. 80's
model Caprices and Monte Carlos were a favorite.

I saw a late 60's Malibu/Chevelle convertible done that way. Hand me
the barf bag. Damn shame.

Jack Goff wrote:

Are you talking about "stagecoach"? When they jack up a car, then put
huge wheels and tires on it (mostly diameter, some width). It sits up
high, and they can't turn the steering wheel very much, or the tires
scrub the frame.

The law has pretty much put an end to that quickly, as it violated
several safety rules. I rarely see one around here anymore. 80's
model Caprices and Monte Carlos were a favorite.

I saw a late 60's Malibu/Chevelle convertible done that way. Hand me
the barf bag. Damn shame.

When I was in highschool in the early 70's everybody and their dog that
had some sort of a car had to jack the think up beyond reason. Jeff
haines had a 57 4 door Ford Fairlane with shackles on the back that
were so high and unstable, they buckled in a turn and wiped out the
car.

if you had a stick shift (even 3 on the tree) you had a racer, if it
was an automatic it was "junk".

First thing that would happen when a kid got a car, was off came the
stock manifolds and on went the headers and cherry bombs, or Thrushs.
Wind it up, let off the throttle and listen to all the popping and
backfiring. Nobody told them that you had to re-jet carburation .

Next, you put on your v-8 mickey thompson chrome valve covers . for
some unknown reason that made the car go faster.

woooooooo!

And if you had REAL money, you installed and Aluminum intake, and they
didn't know that the intake, headers, and faulty carburation actually
hut their performance. Even less than stock, but it sure sounded
"cool".

My 3.0 suffers performance, maybe I ought to dig out a JC Whitney
catalogue and see if I can still order a 3/4 or "full race" cam.

That will teach the Baha crowd to stay home!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jack Goff wrote:

[...]

I worked one summer in Atlanta in the mid 70's packing UPS shipments in a
warehouse that sold all that crap.....Hush Thrush mufflers, Eddlebrock (sp?)
headers, Hurst shifters, I think it was Crain cams.....and then there was
the chrome everything, valve covers, air filter covers, oil pan,
alternators, .....never understood the chrome chain steering wheels.........

The little chrome chain steering wheels usually went to the Custom
built hot rod "T-bucket" crowd, or the jumpin bean mobiles.

Oh yeah, another performance tip ! another thing to go was you had to
take off your power steering built.

a) it reduced unecessary drag on the engine, helping to release that
extra opressed horsepower.

b) it also improved your driving experience, because "you can feel the
road better"

gimme a break!

P. Fritz wrote:
I worked one summer in Atlanta in the mid 70's packing UPS shipments in a
warehouse that sold all that crap.....Hush Thrush mufflers, Eddlebrock (sp?)
headers, Hurst shifters, I think it was Crain cams.....and then there was
the chrome everything, valve covers, air filter covers, oil pan,
alternators, .....never understood the chrome chain steering wheels.........

oups.com...

P. Fritz wrote:
I worked one summer in Atlanta in the mid 70's packing UPS shipments in a
warehouse that sold all that crap.....Hush Thrush mufflers, Eddlebrock
(sp?)
headers, Hurst shifters, I think it was Crain cams.....and then there was
the chrome everything, valve covers, air filter covers, oil pan,
alternators, .....never understood the chrome chain steering
wheels.........

If it don't go, go chrome.

. ..

news:WoKdnY_0Ts9ceU7ZnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@comcast .com...

[...]

When purchasing produce you are *always* better off shopping at locally
owned grocery stores or farmers stands and staying away from the large
regional chains.

We buy our produce at our local Heinen's store (16 stores total, all in
the general area and locally owed) or the local farmers stands when in
season. Heinen's purchases produce daily from the downtown food terminal
and it is therefore much fresher than with the large chains who buy it,
warehouse it at their main distribution points (sometimes several States
away), then eventually ship it to their stores.

Our Safeway's have great produce. But their national headquarters are
located about 4 miles from my home.

wrote:

[...]

Tomatoes at Giant are a dollar a pound cheaper than at Safeway!

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John