P. Fritz P. Fritz is offline

Default Gasoline prices - gold as a hedge

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jack Goff wrote:

Are you talking about "stagecoach"? When they jack up a car, then put
huge wheels and tires on it (mostly diameter, some width). It sits up
high, and they can't turn the steering wheel very much, or the tires
scrub the frame.

The law has pretty much put an end to that quickly, as it violated
several safety rules. I rarely see one around here anymore. 80's
model Caprices and Monte Carlos were a favorite.

I saw a late 60's Malibu/Chevelle convertible done that way. Hand me
the barf bag. Damn shame.

When I was in highschool in the early 70's everybody and their dog that
had some sort of a car had to jack the think up beyond reason. Jeff
haines had a 57 4 door Ford Fairlane with shackles on the back that
were so high and unstable, they buckled in a turn and wiped out the
car.

if you had a stick shift (even 3 on the tree) you had a racer, if it
was an automatic it was "junk".

First thing that would happen when a kid got a car, was off came the
stock manifolds and on went the headers and cherry bombs, or Thrushs.
Wind it up, let off the throttle and listen to all the popping and
backfiring. Nobody told them that you had to re-jet carburation .

Next, you put on your v-8 mickey thompson chrome valve covers . for
some unknown reason that made the car go faster.

woooooooo!

And if you had REAL money, you installed and Aluminum intake, and they
didn't know that the intake, headers, and faulty carburation actually
hut their performance. Even less than stock, but it sure sounded
"cool".

My 3.0 suffers performance, maybe I ought to dig out a JC Whitney
catalogue and see if I can still order a 3/4 or "full race" cam.

That will teach the Baha crowd to stay home!

I worked one summer in Atlanta in the mid 70's packing UPS shipments in a
warehouse that sold all that crap.....Hush Thrush mufflers, Eddlebrock (sp?)
headers, Hurst shifters, I think it was Crain cams.....and then there was
the chrome everything, valve covers, air filter covers, oil pan,
alternators, .....never understood the chrome chain steering wheels.........