JohnH

Default Affording Fuel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:04:13 -0800, jps wrote:

In article ,
says...
jps wrote:
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Perhaps you should consider a more fuel-efficient boat?

I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

You mean yours, or everybody elses (average)?

Everyone's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/..._ec_fi/economy

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

Yes, it's an amazing coincidence, isn't it? Another funny
thing is that so far, this boon has not been distributed
very effectively to holders of common stock.

They don't matter. It's the boys in the front office who are meant to
benefit from this.

Meanwhile, Exxon wants the $5B settlement reduced for the Alaska spill.
Pigs.

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

You really really miss the old days of political
mud-throwing in this NG, don't you?

Old days? It was just yesterday for me. AFAIC the group has been
dumbed down, a perfect reflection of our society.

I'm guessing the savings rate on brain cells and good ideas is, like
savings, at a historical low.

Fear factor, Baywatch and cigarettes are our major exports now.

DSK

jps

jps, how is the lack of antagonistic, vile, name-calling a 'dumbing down'
of the group? Is an ability to hurl insults a sign of intellectual prowess?

Why not go over to a.politics and post all the political rhetoric your
heart desires?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
jps

In article , jherring1
@yahoo.com says...

jps, how is the lack of antagonistic, vile, name-calling a 'dumbing down'
of the group? Is an ability to hurl insults a sign of intellectual prowess?

Nice spin.

The existence of antagonistic, vile, name-calling is consistent with the
behavior of this country's leadership.

Sabre-rattling, ill-informed, non-intellectual, Rambo-style rhetoric
(not to mention outright lying) is all the rage, or haven't you been
listening to your President and his minions?

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

jps
JohnH

jps wrote:
[...]

JPS called no 0one who posts here a name. In fact, your post was
offensive, not his. Why are you working so hard at being a usenet
traffic cop?

Harry, I didn't accuse jps of name-calling or anything else. I questioned
his use of the phrase 'dumbed down' with regard to the people/posts in the
group. Is that question what you refer to as 'netcopping'?

Do you feel 'dumbed down'?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:03:17 -0800, jps wrote:

In article , jherring1
says...

jps, how is the lack of antagonistic, vile, name-calling a 'dumbing down'
of the group? Is an ability to hurl insults a sign of intellectual prowess?

Nice spin.

The existence of antagonistic, vile, name-calling is consistent with the
behavior of this country's leadership.

Sabre-rattling, ill-informed, non-intellectual, Rambo-style rhetoric
(not to mention outright lying) is all the rage, or haven't you been
listening to your President and his minions?

Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton are having historically profitable years.

Doe's this touch your brain at all?

jps

answered in a.politics.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Don White

NOYB wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose as
the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

jps wrote:

Old days? It was just yesterday for me. AFAIC the group has been
dumbed down, a perfect reflection of our society.

I guess that if the rec.boats NG becomes a place where people go to
discuss boats and boating, rather than engage in political arguments,
that makes it somehow "dumb"?

I would imagine that if you tried to hold boating discussions on either
the "Liberals are trying to destroy our Christian country" group or
"Conservatives are robbing the poor to enhance the rich" group, that
would be dazzlingly brilliant?

Phuk politics. Trying to differentiate between one gang of thieves (Rs)
and another (Ds) is wearisome. Boating is supposed to be about
recreation, and that would include civil social interaction among
people who may not agree on everything politically.

You and I may agree on a lot of political principles, but within the
last several months I have reached an opinion that no political
principles are well served when they are used as a wedge to screw up
and disrupt groups brought together for other purposes. I could be
wrong. Certainly if the majority of the newsgorup wants to continue the
political bitchiness and flame throwing it is more than welcome to- the
only difference is that I won't be participating in those activities. I
suffer no delusion that it's up to me to determine the direction of the
NG, but as you have expressed your opinion that the group without
political strife is "dumbed down," I have expressed my counter
perspective as well.

Have a pleasant day.

NOYB

"Don White" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose
as the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I'm gonna cut out and save this 'coupon'.

Damn. Should have added the Canadian exclusion clause. ;-)