jps

Default Affording Fuel

I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

I guess the dinghy will have to do for now.

jps
DSK

jps wrote:
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Perhaps you should consider a more fuel-efficient boat?

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

You mean yours, or everybody elses (average)?

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

Yes, it's an amazing coincidence, isn't it? Another funny
thing is that so far, this boon has not been distributed
very effectively to holders of common stock.

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

You really really miss the old days of political
mud-throwing in this NG, don't you?

DSK

jps

In article ,
says...
jps wrote:
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Perhaps you should consider a more fuel-efficient boat?

I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

You mean yours, or everybody elses (average)?

Everyone's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/..._ec_fi/economy

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

Is it some sort of coincidence that these same companies are friends of
the current administration?

Yes, it's an amazing coincidence, isn't it? Another funny
thing is that so far, this boon has not been distributed
very effectively to holders of common stock.

They don't matter. It's the boys in the front office who are meant to
benefit from this.

Meanwhile, Exxon wants the $5B settlement reduced for the Alaska spill.
Pigs.

This whole thing stinks from the head down.

You really really miss the old days of political
mud-throwing in this NG, don't you?

Old days? It was just yesterday for me. AFAIC the group has been
dumbed down, a perfect reflection of our society.

I'm guessing the savings rate on brain cells and good ideas is, like
savings, at a historical low.

Fear factor, Baywatch and cigarettes are our major exports now.

DSK

jps
DSK

jps wrote:
I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

That's one area that diesel inboards shine, fuel efficiency
per ton/mph. Planing is still a very inefficient to carry
loads though.

Note- there are some boats with fuel consumptions that are
flat at high speeds, or even drop a little ie- they get
better MPG near WOT than at "cruise" speeds. But they get
better mileage yet at slow displacement speeds. The best way
to go fast & not burn a lot of fuel is with a catamaran...
but even then, speed costs.

If you're concerned about fuel efficiency, get a slow boat.

Everyone's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/..._ec_fi/economy

Yep, that has been a concern of economists for a long
time... Americans are not saving, in fact we are jacking up
debt both personal & public at record rates. How long can
this go on? I don't know... but IMHO any individual is still
better off saving & investing, what we used to call managing
one's money intelligently.

Meanwhile, Exxon wants the $5B settlement reduced for the Alaska spill.
Pigs.

Wouldn't you?

DSK

DSK

jps wrote:
I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

I wouldn't want to discourage anybody from considering sail,
but for the most part it's not really any cheaper unless you
are going a long way.

That's one area that diesel inboards shine, fuel efficiency per ton/mph.
Planing is still a very inefficient to carry loads though.

Note- there are some boats with fuel consumptions that are flat at high
speeds, or even drop a little ie- they get better MPG near WOT than at
"cruise" speeds. But they get better mileage yet at slow displacement
speeds.

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

DSK

NOYB

"jps" wrote in message
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

I'm feeling stung. The taxation is going to happen one way or another.
I feel government is in a better position to redistribute my taxation
more than I trust Exxon or Chevron or Halliburton but I guess they
already have.

Think about it folks. Very few companies are having banner years, apart
from these companies.

I also made more money this past year than at any time in history.

Is it some sort of coincidence that I'm a friend (at least via donor money)
of the current administration?

George F

"jps" wrote in message
I've had one hell of a time justifying the expense of fuel and,
consequently, over the last year our boat has been out very little.

Now I come to find that Exxon, Chevron and Halliburton have made more
money this past year than at any time in history and our rate of savings
hasn't been this low since 1933.

10bil profit on revenue of 100bil seems about right to me.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

NOYB

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:45:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

So there's a choice, lose the fillings from your teeth (NOYBY will be
happy to put them back), or lose your money. Personally I'll take the
deep-V thank you.

I will personally replace, without charge, any fillings that come loose as
the result of a bone-jarring boat ride.*

*PWC's excluded

I hear you man, I fear that this summer I"m going to be doing a bit
less waverunning and more kayaking than in the past.

richforman